Chapala.com Webboard

New Rules on Severance?

PECANS

Independent contractors? Surely you jest. Do they have their own company and work for others and have a municipal business license and pay taxes as an independent company? Do you have a contract for professional services and do they give you receipts and facturas?

Or do they fit the tests of an employee, paid by one person, work specified hours and projects and are subordinate? There is a presumption they are employees, are you prepared to rebut that with something else than a nod when you asked them if they would be an independent contractor?

Thanks for that answer. The independent contractor excuse gets kind of old.

Avoiding confrontation, at all costs, is "key" in Mexico. A fair arrangement is the first step on that path.

It is very unlikely that you will win in a confrontation, more importantly, would it be worth your valuable time, energy, the worrying and ultimately, possibly even your health ? Most of you have come here to retire, to rest, to enjoy life,..... not to get into legal battles, or other types of fights.

I am sure that you will do the right thing.

Rony

Guest bennie2

the yard people who came occassionly were independent, not steady employees. sometimes the garden person from next door would come after he finished his work & rake the leaves. the same man who cut the grass sometimes, also did my roof. what is interesting is that none of these people worked for expats. yes anyone @anytime can sue you. but there was never any fear on my part, i did this for years. i would have been been better off rotating maids. its the "steady" business that can get you in trouble.

Archived