Chapala.com Webboard

Need upholsterer recommendation

On 7/15/2014 at 2:05 PM, bradshoe said:

Alberto at Handy Artistic speaks perfect English as does his wife and kids if they're around. Moved here from Seattle where he worked with his father. Does beautiful work and has lots of work-arounds for less than perfect Mexican furniture. Samples of the latest fabrics in all price ranges. We recently purchased some rattan like chairs without cushions (we didn't like) for our terrace. After finding the Sunbrella fabric we liked and was in stock in Guadalajara Alberto estimated 2-3 weeks - they were finished the next week.

Heading east on the carretera in Riberas past the animal shelter and in the next block after Toscano Pizza, on the lake side next to a Sayer paint store. 331-437-9593 M-F

On 7/16/2014 at 3:55 AM, jrod said:

Wish I had the same positive experience, and Alberto came highly recommended: I went in for a quote, looked at fabric books and Alberto called Guadalajara to confirm fabric availability, then I set up appointment for him to come out in two days (his choice of day and time) to measure the large chairs to be reupholstered. He missed the appointment, citing forgetting it; when he did come (several hours later, after my call) his wife had taken the fabric books he was supposed to bring so we could check fabrics against others in the house, and to this date we've never heard from him again for quotes on different fabrics, which he promised that same day. And the quote (same fabric) from Oscar was slightly less. Decided not to chase Alberto to give him the business.

On 6/19/2018 at 1:27 AM, Honorandfaith said:

Mudgirl, your post was very informative, thank you! Can you tell me if you can get the dacron wrapping in Mexico these days? I have a 30 year-old Thomasville sofa that sits as wonderfully today as when I bought it, and am bringing it to Mexico. It may need some new dacron wrapping,  but the original bench seat foam cushions seem to be in good condition. Most comfortable sofa I have ever sat on.

Dacron availablw at handy artistic  77 hidalgo riberas

106 0332

On 7/16/2014 at 3:55 AM, jrod said:

Wish I had the same positive experience, and Alberto came highly recommended: I went in for a quote, looked at fabric books and Alberto called Guadalajara to confirm fabric availability, then I set up appointment for him to come out in two days (his choice of day and time) to measure the large chairs to be reupholstered. He missed the appointment, citing forgetting it; when he did come (several hours later, after my call) his wife had taken the fabric books he was supposed to bring so we could check fabrics against others in the house, and to this date we've never heard from him again for quotes on different fabrics, which he promised that same day. And the quote (same fabric) from Oscar was slightly less. Decided not to chase Alberto to give him the business.

3 hours ago, cellomoajijic said:

Must have been several yrs ago,  I have been doing the calls for 2.5 years his wife hasnt been there for over 3 years. every visit is followed up with email quote  within 2 days.

NOTE. NEW LARGER LOCATION EAST OF MASKARAS AT 77 HIDALGO

That's correct. I have been to the new location with a friend, however, who is pleased with the fabric she purchased and the cushions you recovered for her terrace.

A couple of years ago we wanted to have a couple of Ethan Allen chairs that we brought with us recovered.  We looked through all of Albertos books but couldn't find what we really liked.  On a trip to Phoenix went to a fabric warehouse and found something suitable and brought back enough for the chairs.  They turned out great - on time - on budget.  I've been to the new place and they have lots more room and better light.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived