Chapala.com Webboard

Need upholsterer recommendation

Alberto at Handy Artistic speaks perfect English as does his wife and kids if they're around. Moved here from Seattle where he worked with his father. Does beautiful work and has lots of work-arounds for less than perfect Mexican furniture. Samples of the latest fabrics in all price ranges. We recently purchased some rattan like chairs without cushions (we didn't like) for our terrace. After finding the Sunbrella fabric we liked and was in stock in Guadalajara Alberto estimated 2-3 weeks - they were finished the next week.

Heading east on the carretera in Riberas past the animal shelter and in the next block after Toscano Pizza, on the lake side next to a Sayer paint store. 331-437-9593 M-F

How long ago did Miguel Padilla move? I was in his taller next to Brisis restaurant less than two weeks ago. Door is just painted turquoise; there's no signage.

Alberto at Handy Artistic speaks perfect English as does his wife and kids if they're around. Moved here from Seattle where he worked with his father. Does beautiful work and has lots of work-arounds for less than perfect Mexican furniture. Samples of the latest fabrics in all price ranges. We recently purchased some rattan like chairs without cushions (we didn't like) for our terrace. After finding the Sunbrella fabric we liked and was in stock in Guadalajara Alberto estimated 2-3 weeks - they were finished the next week.

Heading east on the carretera in Riberas past the animal shelter and in the next block after Toscano Pizza, on the lake side next to a Sayer paint store. 331-437-9593 M-F

Wish I had the same positive experience, and Alberto came highly recommended: I went in for a quote, looked at fabric books and Alberto called Guadalajara to confirm fabric availability, then I set up appointment for him to come out in two days (his choice of day and time) to measure the large chairs to be reupholstered. He missed the appointment, citing forgetting it; when he did come (several hours later, after my call) his wife had taken the fabric books he was supposed to bring so we could check fabrics against others in the house, and to this date we've never heard from him again for quotes on different fabrics, which he promised that same day. And the quote (same fabric) from Oscar was slightly less. Decided not to chase Alberto to give him the business.

Oscar, on the boulevard going toward the Chapala Cultural Center/old train station. On the right with sign painted on the building.

Oscar is twice and sometimes 3 times higher in price than Miquel, we have tried to try him but he is too expensive.

As an upholsterer working in the Riviera Nayarit area, I can tell you that as with most things, you get what you pay for. There are varying price factors having to do with upholstery. Most stuff looks good when it is new, the question is how it holds up through time and, in the case of slipcovers, repeated washings.

I have had "Sunbrella" fabric brought to me by clients that was purchased in the States, Canada, or Mexico, that in fact was not Sunbrella, but sold to them as such, and which the color faded from in 6 months. There are many different qualities (not thicknesses) of foam, with corresponding price difference. I usually put an inner cover over the foam and dacron batting of a couch cushion, for instance, so when the outside cover is removed for washing, the fuzzy batting doesn't get stuck in the zipper (which usually breaks the zipper) and the foam and batting are all held firmly together. This adds somewhat to the cost, but most of my clients opt for it. Also, are the inside seams finished off, or will they continue to fray away every time you wash them until the seams rip out? I can assure you that if the quoted price for a job is much lower than anyone else's, (and if they don't give you options for foam quality, you can bet they are using the stuff that goes flat in a short time), you are likely getting inferior materials, or less than high quality work.

As for tradesmen not showing up when promised, or taking months to do a job they told you would take a week, well, some people just don't know how to do good business, and reap the consequences. Although you won't use them again, some other unknowing sucker will come along.

Oscar, in Chapala, by far the best. Will pick up, deliver, always on time, great selection of fabric, including Sunbrella. Will make suggestions for ways to improve what you have, ie, better foam or padding, zippers vs. ties, that kind of thing.

I recommended Oscar for the reasons mentioned above: Quality work with reliable results. We have veranda furniture that he did for us ten years ago and it is just as good as new; excellent stitching, quality zippers and fine fabric.

I have used both Oscar and Miguel. Oscar is more expensive and provides higher quality work in my opinion. Miguel has excellent English and is very easy to work with and offers a less expensive and lower quality service. Isn't it nice we have freedom of choice.

• 2 months later...

I have used Miguel on several occasions and he did fabulous work. He took on a pair of antique wing chairs that needed not just new covering but new stuffing and he even touched up the wood arms and legs. They came out better than expected and his prices were very good, plus he is a sweetie, very accommodating (and not hard to look at either, girls!).

However, this time I need the same guy who custom-made my sectional sofa as he has access to the specific material that was put on and a tenant ruined by moving my new furniture into the patio sun to become bleached.

He had the little shop next to Gloriosa on the Libramiento. I can't even remember his name. Does anyone know him or how to find him? Thanks.

Oscar, on the boulevard going toward the Chapala Cultural Center/old train station. On the right with sign painted on the building.

When you say "the boulvard", ae you referring to Pedro Moreno -- runs east (sort of) from the carretera and meets up with road that goes out to golf course, etc -- or do you mean Cristiana -- runs from Red Cross, goes past train station, and meets Pedro Moreno?

Do you have a phone number, or know the hours they are open? Thank you

• 3 years later...

Some time has passed but some things don't change.  I have taken a couple jobs to the upholsterer across from the Guad Pharmacy in town because I was too lazy to find someone good.  Neither job was done well, neither on time, and I found the owner quite rude the last time.  The second was a patch-job and a rush while I had company and was moving, which is why I took the easy route. Would NEVER take a job to him again no matter how small or how much in a hurry I might be.  No one who works there speaks more than a few words of English so, if you don't speak Spanish, that's another reason to find another upholsterer, so you can understand each other!  It's not likely that I'd have gotten a better job done faster if my Spanish were more fluent, though.

Mudgirl, your post was very informative, thank you! Can you tell me if you can get the dacron wrapping in Mexico these days? I have a 30 year-old Thomasville sofa that sits as wonderfully today as when I bought it, and am bringing it to Mexico. It may need some new dacron wrapping,  but the original bench seat foam cushions seem to be in good condition. Most comfortable sofa I have ever sat on.

Just to counter the criticism of Alberto on the Carretera, I have used him for a quote two times and he was always on time and had the fabric materials with him.  The first time I decided not to get the work done because of change in our plans in the house.  The second time he also came on time, although we went to his store to see material as I knew exactly what I wanted. He picked up the double recliner on time and had the job done in the estimated time and the material is holding up very well.  However, it is best to get him in this slow season as in the high season he is extremely busy and can have back orders up to two months.  By the way, when I checked for recommendations of good upholsterers, he came highly recommended.  Good luck with whomever you choose.

23 hours ago, Honorandfaith said:

Mudgirl, your post was very informative, thank you! Can you tell me if you can get the dacron wrapping in Mexico these days? I have a 30 year-old Thomasville sofa that sits as wonderfully today as when I bought it, and am bringing it to Mexico. It may need some new dacron wrapping,  but the original bench seat foam cushions seem to be in good condition. Most comfortable sofa I have ever sat on.

Yes, it's readily available. You can get varying thicknesses through upholstery supply shops like Central de Plasticos  (I see online that there is one in Zapopan)- they call it Delcron laminado, and sewing stores like Parasina sell it as well, although theirs is usually pretty thin. But you can always layer it up if you can't find the right thickness.

On 7/16/2014 at 3:55 AM, jrod said:

Wish I had the same positive experience, and Alberto came highly recommended: I went in for a quote, looked at fabric books and Alberto called Guadalajara to confirm fabric availability, then I set up appointment for him to come out in two days (his choice of day and time) to measure the large chairs to be reupholstered. He missed the appointment, citing forgetting it; when he did come (several hours later, after my call) his wife had taken the fabric books he was supposed to bring so we could check fabrics against others in the house, and to this date we've never heard from him again for quotes on different fabrics, which he promised that same day. And the quote (same fabric) from Oscar was slightly less. Decided not to chase Alberto to give him the business.

Must have been several yrs ago,  I have been doing the calls for 2.5 years his wife hasnt been there for over 3 years. every visit is followed up with email quote  within 2 days.

NOTE. NEW LARGER LOCATION EAST OF MASKARAS AT 77 HIDALGO

Archived