Chapala.com Webboard

smart meters in Mexico

the walkers

Thanks snowyco, I'll go along with the new term "CFE electronic meters"

"Unfortunately, CFE chose a system where the homeowners have to lay their special CFE card on top of the meter every month - to record the current meter reading - and then take the card into a CFE office..."

Thus saving CFE a whole lot of costs at your expense.

Joco,

If the card causes too many problems, you can just cancel the card agreement with CFE and go back to normal paper billing.

The steps for cancelling the CFE card agreement were described here on chapala.com about 3 months ago.

Ironically, Datura also wrote about cancelling a CFE card agreement on the first page of this thread. You can find it 3 posts above yours. Good Luck!

I never had an agreement so I don't have an agreement to cancel.

My card was thrown over the gate and was laying on the grass in the front garden. Luckily I found it before the dogs ate it.

I discussed this with CFE that I didn't agree to use the card the first time I tried to pay and I got the usual shrugged shoulders. Yes I know others have been able to cancel the card but I haven't wanted to spend the hours it takes to cancel it. Maybe I will later.

There is a logical explanation for your bill increase if you were using 1000 pesos of KWHs per 2 months since April or June instead of 500 KWHs per 2 months [at the heavily subsidized rate that would be about 470 pesos per 2 months]. You have now used up your yearly alloted, in April, 3000 KWHs per year of the highly subsidized allotment and will be in the DAC rate until next March no matter how much you consume or cut comsumption.

You are in the 3000 KWH yearly alloted subsidized climatic zone and should not consume more than 250 KWHs per month to stay in the heavily subsidized rate. If you used your AC and didnĀ“t realize you only can only use 250 KWHs per month on average to stay out of the DAC, too late now to get cheap electricity until April 2015.

The 330 peso bills were the last of your allotment even when the rainy season came to cool down the heat outside you still needed to average 250 KWHs per month on average from April, now it is too late. Once that allotment is used up it is waiting for April to see a low bill again. Your SMART meter is probably OK. Check your last 4 to 6 bills to track your consumption to see what is happening.

not the case as this is a business and does not receive any subsidy.

not the case as this is a business and does not receive any subsidy.

What is your Tarifa code on your CFE bills, both past and currently? That will help to determine how CFE has your service classified.

Residential is "01", unless you go into "DAC" as was mentioned above by AlanMexicali.

Archived