Chapala.com Webboard

Tamarind Sauce or Paste

ComputerGuy

Beginning a new leg of my cooking experience, I'm doing some Thai dishes. Pad and a few others call for tamarind sauce/paste. This is a popular flavour in Mexico, but I'm not sure what section of the store to look in.

Chances are you're going to have to make tamarind paste yourself. It's not difficult, just fiddly--peeling the pods, simmering the fruit, taking out seeds and strings, kneading the pulp into a paste. The good news is you can make enough at once to last a while. I haven't seen the jarred paste even here in the DF, where I shop in a very complete Chinese wholesale grocery store.

I have seen Tamarind sauce in Walmart, on the aisle where they have packaged drink mixes. Near the very back towards the meat secrion, on the south wall. It is in about a 750 ml size, among the drink syrups like Pina Colada. It is made for adding to drinks but the flavour is fairly authentic.

I have seen Tamarind sauce in Walmart, on the aisle where they have packaged drink mixes. Near the very back towards the meat secrion, on the south wall. It is in about a 750 ml size, among the drink syrups like Pina Colada. It is made for adding to drinks but the flavour is fairly authentic.

That is mix for tamarind flavored aqua fresca. Similar to horchata.

That is mix for tamarind flavored aqua fresca. Similar to horchata.

I dug it out of the cupboard. It says Pulpa de Tamarindo. It is not a mix, it is a bottle of thick consistanc, like a puree or sauce. I would post a pic but they never work on this forum.

I dug it out of the cupboard. It says Pulpa de Tamarindo. It is not a mix, it is a bottle of thick consistanc, like a puree or sauce. I would post a pic but they never work on this forum.

It's a mix for agua fresca, believe me. You just add it to water to make the quantity of agua de tamarindo that you want. I bought it once--never again. There are others on that shelf, including the one for horchata that someone else mentioned.

There is instant one with sugar in it. It is very popular. I like it and Jamaica one too, Instant Horchata -not so much. But there is definitely unsweetened concentrate too. Think about how many litres of sugar syrup you would have to add to make 4 litres. Just read the label, if it has one. If iit doesn't have one, then it is most likely unsweetened. There is apparently a concentrate for "tuba", a delicious drink made from the fruits of coconut palms - but I have never been able to find it.

ComputerGuy,
I am coming down on July 17th would you like me to bring you a jar of Tamarind Paste?Let me know by 7/12/14 evening and I can bring a jar of Tamicon Tamarind Paste down for you.

Calexico (Ken)
I'll be staying at the Casa Flores B&B.

Archived