Chapala.com Webboard

Buying Jalisco plated car from private party

I am getting ready to purchase a Jalisco plated car from a private party. I want to know what documents I must get from the seller and what must the seller sign over to me?

I know that the "title" is called a factura here in Mexico. Is there a place on the factura for the seller to sign? I then take the factura to a local place in Chapala to get it put into my name and register it? Is this correct?

The seller will have to sign the original Factura in the back, ours came with us to Chapala and signed there in front of them but I do nit think it is compulsery.

You will need a copy of yiur passport, photo page

A copy of the Factura 2 sides with the sellor's name on the back

A copy of your visa, temporal or permanente

A copy of yiur electric or phone bill

And the pesos to pay for the registration being put at yiur name

Yes, that is correct. The "factura" is actually the ORIGINAL dealer invoice that was given to the first buyer of the vehicle. Each successive owner has to sign the back of the factura and date it with wording that indicates it is sold to the new owner. There must be an unbroken chronological record on that document of when it was sold and the subsequent owners. The VIN# on the factura must match the vehicle's VIN# so check it closely. That is the only document you NEED from the seller but it is also a good idea to get all of the annual receipts to prove that the fees were paid. I don't believe that is absolutely necessary if they are missing or incomplete though since it is all in the State of Jalisco's computer system. No receipt for the amount you paid is necessary. The lisense plate stays with the vehicle.

In a private sale, you SHOULD check online and search the lisense plate number to see if there are any outstanding renewals or driving infractions that have not been paid. These will have to be paid to bring the vehicle's records current before the transfer can be completed. You may not want to have to pay this if there are any outstanding fines.

I've seen it suggested that the buyer require the seller to go to the license/title office to make sure the transfer is valid and there are no unpaid fines against the vehicle.

If this car is being bought locally, that's really pretty easy. The office is in Chapala on Degollado and normally is not too busy.

On the back of the Factura it must read this with signature:

Cedo los derechos de la presente factura a nombre PRINT YOUR NAME IF 2 NAMES USE A Y/O between the names.

then print the persons name and they also sign next to their printed name.

That is it.

It's very important you check the car status, talking about infringements or charges, you can see that depend of vehicle's license plate, tell us where the vehicle is, and after I give you the online page, you need the serial number or motor number and license plate.

We can check the papers before you buy to make sure all is in order and there are no hidden fines or transfers that are due so that way you do not pay for someone elses fines and fees

As to smog testing -- when I bought a new car it was tested as a new car because the rule is that it needs testing the same month each time it's sold...seems odd to have to test a brand new car, but that's the rule. I then assumed it was fine until my number came up the following year based on the license plate that hadn't been on the new car yet when it had been tested initially....noooo, if it comes up in the current year in a month after you've transferred title (whether brand new or selling used,) you have to go get another test. I just happened to find this out late on the last day of Sept. when I was due for normal testing based now on the license plate number, so I rushed down on Oct. 1st expecting to get a fine or something, but no one said anything about my "oversight" nor did they challenge the fact that I was getting two tests within 4 months. The guy told me I had to leave both 2013 smog stickers on the window but that I could remove them both when I get the 2014 single sticker. He also told me that if I sold the car in any future month of the year before Sept., that the new owner would need to do two tests that first year....one with change of ownership and one in Sept. If the sale falls after your testing month, then only the test for the sale month is required for that year by him....you will have already done the routine test.

Archived