Chapala.com Webboard

car accident in Chapala

I wonder if the Guadalajara Reporter would use the info and photo to tell the story and identify the man

I'm sure they would if they like being sued. It isn't like this is a major crime. It was a small accident. Why hasn't the victim posted a picture of the damages to his one week old car? Is it a one week old vehicle right off the show room floor or one week old car by second or third owner?

The man is guilty of breaking the law. He broke the law when he left the scene of an accident without resolving the issue and not presenting his ID or insurance info. I hope the police do track him down. He can explain to them why he left the scene. I am sure they will be impressed.

The man is guilty of breaking the law. He broke the law when he left the scene of an accident without resolving the issue and not presenting his ID or insurance info. I hope the police do track him down. He can explain to them why he left the scene. I am sure they will be impressed.

How do you know any of this? You know it because a stranger posted it on this board and it is impossible for a stranger to lie?

Guest bennie2

what is the big deal here? if they have his plate # it can be reported. why is everyone (including the friend victim) going on & on? report & get back to us. if the victim os mexican they know what to do.

I apologized because I have personally seen many gringos/as treat the Mexican people in similar ways, and have heard others speak of their disdain for Mexicans. I am offended by that behavior and would like the man who was treated badly to know that we don't all behave that way. I have also heard many stories from Mexican friends about how the attitudes of gringos/as has changed over the years. I do not need to know him personally to "get involved". If the poster wanted it to stay private it shouldn't have been posted on a public forum.

Joco. I was there. I was one of the SIX witnesses. I am a University prepared R.N. and I think I know a "heart attack" when I see one. The guy had NO excuse. He was caught red handed and he fled the scene when the insurance agent was called. Those, Joco, are the facts. They don't change depending on excuses. Were you there? Again. I was! Maybe you know this guy?

Wow, Joco, why so defensive? Do you know the guy?

I know the guy it happened to AND the witness who posted the report here and have NO doubt about their honesty. Also in talking to them, each of them, separately, gave almost the exact same account.

As far as the guy being mentally ill ... maybe, but I don't see any indication here of anything other than terminal crankiness. He tried to offer a bribe, then upped the amount when it was refused. This strikes me as someone in control of his cognition.

And even if he IS mentally ill, don't we want someone like that out from behind the wheel of his car?

Leaving the scene of an accident without coming to some kind of agreement with the other person is a crime. He gave no explanation except that he didn't want to deal with it and figured nobody would come after him. And he didn't just leave, he hurled insults and invectives beforehand.

If he had a legitimate reason to leave he needs to come forward and offer it. The guys it happened to are very nice guys and definitely wouldn't be vindictive if it turned out the guy was not in his right mind. But I suspect his main mental issues are a superiority complex and basic nastiness.

Wow, Joco, why so defensive? Do you know the guy?

I know the guy it happened to AND the witness who posted the report here and have NO doubt about their honesty. Also in talking to them, each of them, separately, gave almost the exact same account.

As far as the guy being mentally ill ... maybe, but I don't see any indication here of anything other than terminal crankiness. He tried to offer a bribe, then upped the amount when it was refused. This strikes me as someone in control of his cognition.

And even if he IS mentally ill, don't we want someone like that out from behind the wheel of his car?

Leaving the scene of an accident without coming to some kind of agreement with the other person is a crime. He gave no explanation except that he didn't want to deal with it and figured nobody would come after him. And he didn't just leave, he hurled insults and invectives beforehand.

If he had a legitimate reason to leave he needs to come forward and offer it. The guys it happened to are very nice guys and definitely wouldn't be vindictive if it turned out the guy was not in his right mind. But I suspect his main mental issues are a superiority complex and basic nastiness.

The only thing that needs to be done is to have the authorities handle it. Let them decide someone's punishment and public humiliation, and not us strangers who were not there.

You might not care about fairness and decency. That's fine. I don't believe everything I'm told and I think both sides should be heard. You might not think knowing both sides is important until you are accused and then you will think it is very important.

Your friends never reported here if there was any real damage or how much it is to repair the car. I find that odd. I would be complaining about hundreds if not thousands of dollars in damage if I started this thread yet your friends have never said how much damage. All they seem to care about is that he left.

How would you like people posting your picture and saying you are a criminal and probably crazy for all your neighbors to see?

Who is beginning to be the bad guys here?

If they stated the amount of damages you probably wouldn't believe it either.

Maybe not, but I do believe in fairness and not vigilante justice. If you believe in public humiliation and vigilante justice, too bad for you.

This could have been very simple. "I had an accident with this man and need to find him"

Saying he is mentally ill and all the other attacks were unnecessary.

The OP said nothing about the man being mentally ill, that was other posters attempting to explain his behavior. Since you are so interested in fairness and justice, I am sure you did not mean to wrongly accuse the OP.

Joco

It is called leaving the scene of an accident. Very bad behavior indeed.

He possibly tried to run over somebody.

Witnesses everywhere including one I trust very much.

And a report of other bad behavior.

If he doesn't want his picture on the board he should have not left the scene of an accident and you know it. Cops publish pictures of people they are looking for all the time.

NO EXCUSES and you are full of them.

Guest bennie2

yes he did leave the scene of an accident. joco also made some good points. why arent the actual victims on this thread? how much are the damages? the last point is important: bottom line- was this reported & could they trace him? what happend @ the MP? assuming the man goes on forums is also absurd. there are 100s of people here who never do, or do their friends. update us on the outcome.

bennie2.

First, the victim was the Mexican--not the gringo.

Second, if you read the original post it says that there was minor damage. That doesn't give someone the right to leave the scene of the accident (at least in my book).

Third, the Mexican gentleman isn't on this board because he doesn't read this board. I know that this will be a shock but not all Mexicans care about the board. I was a witness and I posted it. I am on the board. I did not post the picture or license though.

Fourth, if you re-read the original post it states that he made a denuncio to the Ministerio Publico. I'm sure you know how quickly that works. It will be settled when it is settled. The Mexican fellow's insurance is now involved.

To put your mind at rest; it was reported. It is in the hands of the Ministerio Publico. The victim's insurance company is now involved. The outcome is pending and I may not follow up with an update.

I might add something that perhaps we all need to remember. If you do something wrong just apologize at the scene. I think that it would have been accepted and life would have moved on. The rude behavior (no excuses for that those of you intent on giving them), the refusal to share insurance information (no excuses for those of you intent on giving them), the act of flooring it out of the car wash and nearly running the VICTIM over (no excuses for those of you intent on giving them) and the hurtful words were the wrong way to act for anyone. The appropriate response is to say that you are sorry, you didn't see the car, your foot slipped on the peddle or whatever and offer your insurance information like a decent person would.

If you can't see this then I'm at a loss to figure out what you folks are about as you make one excuse after another or impugn my truthfulness or the eyes and ears of six witnesses.

Lets not turn the forum into a witch hunt......i once had to slam on my brakes to avoid a senior dashing across the street , the mexican fellow behind me was able to brake but slid into my rear bumper. My rear bumper metal got bent the truck behind damaged his bumper pretty bad.

i told the guy i was just glad we did not plow into the man crossing the street and that i would fix my truck and he can fix his. Done deal.

I think the moderator should delete the images and the issue handled with some compassion :)

Several times it was said the guy was offering a bribe. But it sounds to me he was offering money to cover the damage. As in, here's 500 pesos to cover your damage, now let's both go on about our days.

Yes he offered to pay and also upped the offer to $1000 pesos.

People claim he left the scene of an accident. Apparently a very small accident and we still haven't gotten a description of the damages caused to the "week old car." Was the car a week old brand new car or a week old badly used car?

When I first moved here a family parked behind me and I couldn't see their truck when I backed out of a parking space. They were illegally parked. I barely bumped their truck. The truck was a very old dog sled with bumper to bumper dents and scratches making it impossible to tell if I caused any damage. I offered my insurance information but they wanted payment right then so I gave them $500 pesos. Now I know I shouldn't have. They were in the wrong and I didn't damage their truck.

I could easily have legally left without paying a peso. Would I have been accused of leaving the scene of a crime?

We don't know what happened in this accident. We have been informed by one side and too many people have jumped on that one side to vilify someone they don't know.

It is amazing.

Joco

It is called leaving the scene of an accident. Very bad behavior indeed.

He possibly tried to run over somebody.

Witnesses everywhere including one I trust very much.

And a report of other bad behavior.

If he doesn't want his picture on the board he should have not left the scene of an accident and you know it. Cops publish pictures of people they are looking for all the time.

NO EXCUSES and you are full of them.

I'm full of excuses? I don't believe in vigilantism and that is not an excuse, that is a belief.

The police post pictures of wanted criminals and they have more evidence than a report on a web board. Prosecuting people and destroying reputations is not the purpose of this board.

If you think this witch-hunt is O.K., you would love the justice system in Iran and Sharia Law.

The OP said nothing about the man being mentally ill, that was other posters attempting to explain his behavior. Since you are so interested in fairness and justice, I am sure you did not mean to wrongly accuse the OP.

I never wrote that the OP described him as mentally ill. I wrote that people on this board have accused him of being mentally ill.

I didn't accuse the OP of stating that but I guess I am now being wrongly accused and part of your witch hunt.

I often drive with a dashboard camera. It records up to 40 minutes of images. If I ever record a hit and run, I would hope to post a link to the video here, in case the recording could help a victim. I know this is not a hit and run situation, but I think the forum is a good venue to post photos.

It is a good lesson for people to understand that, with cell phone cameras, you can bet someone has captured you on film where there is any kind of accident.

Archived