Chapala.com Webboard

car accident in Chapala

I happened to be getting a ride from a Mexican friend who speaks excellent English and who stopped into the carwash on the main street in Chapala. While his car was in line an older gringo with a large white SUV or van pulled out of a parking space and hit my friend's car. There were six witnesses. He initially got out of his car and said; "I didn't hit your car." Hmmm. Then he said that there was no damage to my Mexican friend's car when clearly there was minor damage. My friend tried to get him to exchange information but he refused to give him his car insurance information (I thought that from the looks of all the sideswipes on his vehicle that he might not even have car insurance). He said he was leaving. I reminded him that my friend could make a denuncia and have him arrested. After a few nasty words for us both he offered 500 pesos to my Mexican friend because "Mexicans expect bribes." Now my friend was angry and told him just to give him his car insurance information and asked him to speak with his own car insurance agent who was phoned by this time. The gringo then, in a very rude manner and with fowl language, told my Mexican friend that he was a Mexican (true, but stated with venom and said as an insult) and offered him 1,000 pesos ("and that's all you'll get from me!") and said that he was leaving. I reminded the guy that leaving the scene of an accident wasn't legal and certainly wasn't morally correct. "I'm not afraid of Mexican cops!" was what he yelled at me.

My friend had no idea what it would cost to repair his 1 week old new car and told him that he should just let the insurance companies work it out. The guy jumped in his car and I yelled at my friend to get out of the way because I realized the guy was nuts and he floored the car out of the car wash nearly running over my friend who had been standing in front of the guy's car to prevent him from leaving. The older man had a white SUV or van and gray hair and wore glasses and a hearing aid in each ear. Looking at the damages to his car I had the feeling that he had done this many times before but perhaps this was the first time he was actually caught in the act. Fortunately my friend took the guy's picture and a picture of his vehicle and his Dakota plates. Then he went to the Ministerio Publico and filed a denuncia.

Now, I try to not be vengeful but I in my mind's eye I could see the police handcuffing the gentleman and placing him in the back of one of their pickup trucks as they haul him publically away. My Mexican friend was upset but never used bad language. We will see what happens.

The lesson for me from this episode was that I have heard so many gringos make disparaging remarks about Mexican drivers in accidents. This was an example of a very rude gringo who thinks rules don't apply to him.

He sounds like a typical cranky, entitled, ignorant, rude, obnoxious, fearful and rage-filled old geezer who makes us all look bad. If his behavior is indicative of mental illness than Lakeside is one big free-range mental hospital

Just a thought: you have the license plate. Maybe Clay County DMV will get you the driver's contact info if you indicate this vehicle was in an accident and left the scene? They aren't as "formal" in that office and the nice clerks may be able to accommodate you.

My husband had a similar encounter with this individual at El torito. There was no damage, but rudeness and cursing. My husband was driving a Mexican plated car and appears somewhat Mexican

Just a thought: you have the license plate. Maybe Clay County DMV will get you the driver's contact info if you indicate this vehicle was in an accident and left the scene? They aren't as "formal" in that office and the nice clerks may be able to accommodate you.

What a very good idea.

Good thinking..or a call from the "local police" would get the info..maybe Spencer!!

Don't you have to call the police for every accident? The old guy would have been arrested if he did not prove he could pay for the damages.

I think if you do not call the police and/or you move the vehicles the insurance companies can deny payment.

It's not like up North where we exchange insurance information. The police must be called.

According to the Jalisco driving exam if there is only material damages you do not have to phone the police. But the two drivers are supposed to show their documents and come to an agreement.

Monessen, I am sad to say I have found this attitudes all too prevalent. I am glad your friend followed through by reporting the incident. There is no doubt it will be investigated with vigor. The Ministerio Publico is very capable and will have no problem finding this ignorant turkey. Once resolved I would hope your friend will send his observations from the incident and the results of the investigation to Immigration authorities. This is one dude who should be deported as soon as possible. As to the gray hair and old gringo description - well, fits most of us. Please take my personal apology to your friend and my best wishes for a speedy apprehension and resolve.

Clay County (SD) may or may not divulge contact information even under the circumstances (call the Police they probably would say). And recall that the contact information will be for/to a US address which in this case will probably be a "Laredo forwarding maildrop".

Clay County (SD) may or may not divulge contact information even under the circumstances (call the Police they probably would say). And recall that the contact information will be for/to a US address which in this case will probably be a "Laredo forwarding maildrop".

All the Mexican driver would need is the name. This guy could back over a child & needs to be stopped.

Here is the image of the man and the plates

ok2687.jpg

Print out posters with these images and the details of the incident and put them up around town where they'll be seen.

According to the Jalisco driving exam if there is only material damages you do not have to phone the police. But the two drivers are supposed to show their documents and come to an agreement.

We had an accident and no police called, no personal injuries. Other person however had no insurance or even a license so our insurance paid for us and he had to swallow his cost. The street had no stop signs so it is considered a 4 way stop.Since neither they or us had actually stopped it was considered everyone's fault.

This fellow may have some good reasons for not wanting to report an accident. Maybe he has no insurance. He may not own the vehicle or may have acquired it in an undocumented manner. He may have outstanding warrants, and that is why he is in Mexico.

Make sure your friend makes a denuncia.

This fellow may have some good reasons for not wanting to report an accident. Maybe he has no insurance. He may not own the vehicle or may have acquired it in an undocumented manner. He may have outstanding warrants, and that is why he is in Mexico.

Make sure your friend makes a denuncia.

We are also guessing at all the reasons he is guilty and we have heard one side. I guess most of us have adopted the Mexican trial system of guilty until proven innocent.

Joco, the fact is he did NOT remain at the scene of an accident. That's a prima facie case for guilt in El Norte as well.

Did he tell you that? Did he tell you why he left, if he did leave the scene? Leaving does not mean guilt it can mean he was having chest pains, he felt threatened, he thought he offered enough to pay damages and it was a shake down, and many other reasons.

I guess it's a good thing that Mexico doesn't have juries since all one needs to present is one side for the jury to find guilt.

maybe he had a hair appointment - HE LEFT HE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT AND REFUSED TO GIVE HIS ID

Did he tell you that, or did the accuser tell you that? Do you have any idea how many innocent people have been imprisoned because of false accusations in the U.S. and they had a trial?

I'm not saying the man is not in the wrong. I think before we make judgments about people we should know both sides. Many people here want the man to be guilty and they don't know either party and were not witnesses. I find that frighteningly disturbing.

Archived