Chapala.com Webboard

Tablets' best choice

I am ready to buy a tablet, but I cannot decide between those two: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8' or Nexus 7". As I am mainly interested in book reading, the Samsung 8' seems to be a better choice because of its size even though a friend suggested Nexus as being a better product.

Any suggestions anyone? I have to know before the weekend as I am in Canada and want to buy it before I return to Mexico.

I have the second generation (2013) Nexus 7 and absolutely love it! The screen resolution is much better and I find the size of it very handy. Have a look at the following website. http://www.tabletpccomparison.net/ If you look at this website you can see a comparison of all the different tablets at once to see the specs. You can also see side by side comparisons of these two on youtube videos if you search it and that may help you decide.

I'm very happy with both my Kindle Fire and the Kindle Paperwhite,for book reading the Paperwhite is great due to its lightweight and longer battery life.

Both are excellent devices. But the Tab 3 is last year's, and even the Tab 4 cannot compare to the Nexus in terms of resolution. This becomes very important when doing a lot of reading.

I would recommend a PaperWhite or Kobo Aura HD (Canadian) for reading books. The Kobo has a bigger screen than any other eReader, more the size of a real paperback. Reading books on a colour tablet is very tiring on the eyes. I use my 10 Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 for reading colour magazines downloaded from my library back home, but read all my books on the eReader.

I am ready to buy a tablet, but I cannot decide between those two: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8' or Nexus 7". As I am mainly interested in book reading, the Samsung 8' seems to be a better choice because of its size even though a friend suggested Nexus as being a better product.

Any suggestions anyone? I have to know before the weekend as I am in Canada and want to buy it before I return to Mexico.

If book reading is your main use I would advise the

Paperwhite Kindle, since it was designed as a reader. I have the original Kindle and use it almost everyday. I also download a lot of free books from Amazon as an added bonus. However if you wish to do other things, then the tablet is the way to go. Look at the Asus Transformer which converts from a tablet to mini laptop. PM me if you wish to get more info.

Won't Tire Your Eyes in the Dark

Paperwhite guides light toward the surface of the display with its next-gen front light—unlike back-lit tablets that shine in your eyes—so you can read comfortably without eyestrain. Adjust your screen's brightness for great reading in any light.

I'd go to Best Buy or somewhere you can SEE both their screens with the same text on each. IMO the Nexus 7 will be far more impressive with the higher resolution and the 300+ pixels per inch. Text should be really sharp.

We both bought a Kindle Paper White. A compromise of one inch diffference made us decide quickly because of the price. At $79 (or $139 if we wanted the reading light included inside) was hard to resist. As our main need was for reading and reading outside, we thought it a good buy. There was also a super sale on cameras, so at &70 instead of the regular price of $225, we bought one.

Now we just have to learn how our Kindle works and download our frst book. I hope to be able to read from it on my return to Chapala.

Thank you all for your feed back. Very helpful as usual.

P.S. Whenever we get smarter, and find other needs, we will consider the other options suggested here..

Colibri,if you can, open a library account NOB at a library that lends e-books,my daughter opened an account for me at the LA Public Library,I can now borrow from over 50,000 titles,free. :)

I'm curious about buying a PaperWhite with a reading lamp, since the whole purpose of it is that it is lit unto itself. No lamps needed. I believe instead you purchased a basic Kindle, at that price.

Computer Guy, I realize that my Kindle is very basic. But, without the light, does it still read the same in the bright light? That was my idea to read outside, at the beach, on the terraza.

CB viajero, Would I need a library card (subscription) to do that?

Yes, Kindles are great for that. In fact, all "eReaders" use "eInk", which differentiates them from tablets that are more like computer screens and are lit from behind. eInk requires no back-lighting. Readers such as the PaperWhite, Nook Glo, etc., are all lit from the side, which means the light is not going into your eyes at all. You can sit in the sun and enjoy; with a tablet, no. In fact, one of the aggravating things about so-called "smart phones", for me, is you need to find shade to make a phone call...! I made the comment because you said you got a PaperWhite, which is self-lit.

I have had a library card from my hometown library for years under my daughter's name; you do need that membership to be able to download books/magazines from the library.

CB viajero, Would I need a library card (subscription) to do that?

Yes,like computer guy, my daughter opened an account and sent me the membership number and password,the library's website makes it very easy to download books to your Kindle account,it's great,I love it!

Archived