Chapala.com Webboard

Mama dog on the front page of the reporter

She now looks much better than her picture! She has had her mats clipped off. The pups are tiny and their eyes are not yet open. Mom and the pups are being fostered. We assume the Dad was the chihuahua. So she and the kids will be small and cute. If that is what you are looking for, try Lucky dog in a month or so. And we should all be glad that the police and ecology are enforcing the cruelty laws.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll get some photos up of the family ASAP. They are doing extremely well in foster care. The four puppies are fat and healthy, and mama has relaxed, She's a really great mom. The whole family will visit the vet on Thursday, and after that, we should be able to tell you more about mama's age. She looks to be a poodle/maltese mix, and she's small. The daddy reportedly is a chihuahua or chihuahua mix, so the the pups should be quite small. There are two males, two females. They're a little over 3 weeks old right now.

The pups are growing well. Their eyes opened this week.

I named the mom Mirabelle. When I got her she had already been shaved and she was flat chested.

This is a pic of her today enjoying a chicken and yougurt snack with honey and kibble garnish.

1pi8m1.jpg

This is a pic of the happy family greedily feeding. All pups look great, she is a good mom.

2dujywi.jpg

I will be sure to get a weight on Thursday. She has put on a lot of weight because I have been feeding her a very rich diet so she can feed her pups. After she weans them she will need to lose some. When I got her she was not making enough milk to feed them. She is now getting more kibble. I don't think she had ever seen kibble.

How big is she? A lap full. Lately she has been wanting some time away from the pups and lap time with grandpa (me). The pups are voracious feeders.

She is we think, poodle, maltese and Dad was a chihuahua mix so neither she or the pups will be very big. I forwarded the message with the pictures to Judy King at the Reporter. Maybe in her column she can show the after pictures! :-) And we all need to thank Ecology at Chapala for enforcing the new cruelty laws!!

The family of 5 visited the vet clinic this morning. Mom, Mirabelle, is about 3 years old and currently weighs 5.8 kilos, of which probably a kilo is milk and baby weight. The pups are 3 1/2 weeks old and weigh between .5 and .8 kilos each. Two males, two females - Lisa, Linda, Kurt, and Rocky. We still think Mirabelle is a Maltese mix. She's silver and white, and very pretty. Her fur is straight, not curly like a poodle.

Archived