Chapala.com Webboard

Is there a time limit for late night loud music?

I agree with what Ezpz says, in general. However, I doubt there is anyone who is not aware of the problem and its causes: amplified sound, which didn't exist many, many years ago and is misused by many bands.

At the same time, I think most people are aware that the cohetes are something we must get used to, move away from or find sound cancelling plugs for. It's TRADITION, and such is life when you choose to move here.

It definitely is time to have enforcement on the worst offenders with the Amplifiers from Hell. I won't comment on the "music" itself: tastes differ.

I'm one of the lucky ones, since I have only the cohetes to disturb my sleep: about a block from the church. It's funny how you do get used to it in time. :015:

EZPZ is correct about people misunderstanding the equipment they own. The biggest offenders I have found involve sub-woofers, which are fairly new to the scene. They cutoff, and amplify the bass signals. A typical DJ tries to set the woofers to amplify a solid bass beat - to make people dance. Their 'tracks' are not even measured by musical counts, rather beats per minute. They are almost always in the key of "C", very few of the DJ's have a trained musical background, that's why they "sample" so much. The next person using the system, performing more traditional music lets say, sounds awful, because they don't know how to adjust the sub woofer. Big amplifiers have been around a long time - I remember I owned a Fender Bassman amp in the late 1960's - it had a gigantic 18 inch speaker! I also run today, a 10 inch Paradigm sub woofer from the early 1980's.

This why they now have "weighted" sound check levels in Canada and the U.S. - more emphasis, and less tolerance, is placed on the lower bass levels of sound. Low frequency waves can travel a long ways.

Mason´s day around October, any day??? I am aware that the masons have their day during

the San Andres Fiesta which ends the 30th of November but October??

The 6 oclcok cohetes are to warn people that mass is about to start not to get blessings. Bennie since you have been here for a while maybe you should learn something about the culture.

Many of us want to improve our environment not change it. Cohetes and church bells are supported by the public and are part of the patrimony. Monster speakers are not! FYI the cardinal has come out in favor of reducing the amount of cohetes. Notice the word reduce.

We have tried to get the Delegado to lead a campaign to pool fire work money and have displays on the lake that would be safer, more pleasing and visible to all the shore. No luck so far. Perhaps if someone knows some business people with pull you could suggest it. The pretty ones are available ,but, of course more expensive.

Guest bennie2

monnessen, i am repeating what mexicans have told me. "there were never as much rockets going off untill the last few years". the mexicans have complained that it "scares their dogs & small children". what ever, take the issue up w/them, just saying. HARRY: the monster speakers are the biggest problem here. besides the venues, they are on top of trucks cars & on the street. its s new trend. its either music, radio, or they have a repeatitive recording annoucing something. there is a difference between the old kind of speakers (on fruit trucks) & these. (as you know).

Guest bennie2

been decided: no more said. harry knows the issues, looking foward to updates. monessen, your mex friends are welcome to dialogue amoung themselves w/as many other mexicans as they wish. they dont need my permission. its a non issue. different strokes for different folks. goodluck.

Often these venues aren't even licensed. To check and complain call C Luis Ernesto Lopez Amavizca, oficial Mayor de padron y licencias 765-8013 email pylchapala@hotmail.com

Thanks HarryB for this information. I am the original poster of this topic. I do want to contact this person and wanted to ask if you know if I can send an email in English or if I should have someone translate for me? Thanks again.

Just for an update from my original post. I have called the Chapala police for the past three weekends on both Friday and Saturday nights. I have called at 10:00 and 11:00 pm. They have come withing 10 minutes and stopped the loud music. I have a complaint filled, however, do not have an answer yet as to the status of the hotel permit for late night loud music. I have called at 10 or 11 because it is EVERY weekend that they have the music until 12, 1 and 2 in the morning. I know if I do not call early they will continue very late. I am tired of having to call every weekend but must say that the police are coming and making them turn it off or down to where I can't hear it. I recommend calling. I am very appreciative to whomever it is that is trying to bring this to light. I also have Mexican friends who do not like the late night loud music. The Mexican laws are NOT made for us but for the Mexican people. The Mexican people are calling for a law and enforcement of a law, the gringo population do not govern the laws of Mexico.

Guest bennie2

texmextwo, that is good news. i had good results in floresta w/the private patrol. (not for hotels in my case). if a hotel does get licensed i wonder what that music cutoff time is?

texmextwo, that is good news. i had good results in floresta w/the private patrol. (not for hotels in my case). if a hotel does get licensed i wonder what that music cutoff time is?

This hotel claims to have one, however, I do have an attorney looking into it as I have not seen one and do not trust what they tell me. I am looking forward to more details of how the system works for hotels and late night very loud music near a residential area.

• 5 years later...
On 7/5/2014 at 1:04 PM, CHILLIN said:

It depends on if they have an eventos permit. They need one for each late night event. This is often the way they enforce the noise laws, if a location is generating complaints, then they stop or slow down the permits. To operate without a permit is a big deal - three strikes and the business license is suspended. If they waste their permits selling beer and b.s. - then when a lucrative wedding or fiesta comes up, they may be out of luck. Of course this doesn't rule out payoffs, or the hotel posting lookouts, or paid staff insiders with cell phones, to warn if the inspector is coming.

Chapala is a very small, country town, but I can assure you the noise crackdown continues in the cities. I know of three clubs in Puerto Vallarta which have been forced to move. The new big expensive clubs all have engineered acoustic baffling -that is the only way to go.

Get some noise cancelling headphones and learn how to smile again.

Hi Chillin,  you posted back in 2014 that you knew of 3 clubs in PV that were forced to close because of excessive noise. Can you give me more info on them? We are in the Peninsula in PV  and a beach club was opened in March right beneath our balcony . They’ve ignored repeated requests from us to turn down the volume even though they are way over the limit even for  a commercial zone. After repeated attempts to reach them the inspectors are finally taking our calls and have approached the club twice this month to turn down the volume. But the folks at the City have told our building manager that they cannot do much until the City ratifies the new Jalisco State anti noise law that was passed in August. All municipalities had until April to adopt the law but he said PV would have it adopted in the next few weeks. 

Do you happen to know if this is the same law that was passed federally in 2014 ? It’s very confusing to me! Thanks for any help you can give . 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Winnipegreimer said:

Hi Chillin,  you posted back in 2014 that you knew of 3 clubs in PV that were forced to close because of excessive noise. Can you give me more info on them? We are in the Peninsula in PV  and a beach club was opened in March right beneath our balcony . They’ve ignored repeated requests from us to turn down the volume even though they are way over the limit even for  a commercial zone. After repeated attempts to reach them the inspectors are finally taking our calls and have approached the club twice this month to turn down the volume. But the folks at the City have told our building manager that they cannot do much until the City ratifies the new Jalisco State anti noise law that was passed in August. All municipalities had until April to adopt the law but he said PV would have it adopted in the next few weeks. 

Do you happen to know if this is the same law that was passed federally in 2014 ? It’s very confusing to me! Thanks for any help you can give . 

I am hardly an expert on the Puerto Vallarta nightclub scene. Back then we lived above a beach restaurant (the El Dorado Beach Club)that a new leasee wanted to turn into a nightclub. The noise people used come out on a regular basis, and then not, and then it went broke, then Alberto Perez of La Palapa bought it and turned it back into a very successful, fine Mexican food restaurant.

The one that definetly got shut down was in the romantic zone. A flamboyant and many storied businessman bought a three story building and gradually built in many businesses, each with separate licenses. He billed it as the largest gay club in Latin America, it ran 24 hours a day, including a breakfast and coffee shop. He was also the one who brought in the "Latin Fever Days", the largest gay gathering outside of New York's Fire Island festival. The problem was this was within an old Vallarta family area, and near a school. The locals managed to get the whole place shutdown. As usual, these locals had all the votes, that's what counts. There were at least two, low budget clubs shut down  in El Centro as well. The local kids cannot afford the high entrance fees and required wardrobe swag of the big clubs. Many of these clubs, including some restaurants, are all about grabbing the cash and shutting down before the fines and inspectors start happening.

The new clubs, in the hotel zone, have all been constructed with state of the art soundproofing

So I sympathise with you, but if you filed a complaint, and nothing was done, there is not much you can do except to buy wax earplugs or noise cancelling headphones. Many Mexican businesses think loud music attracts customers. You go inside, and there are no customers, because the music was too darned loud!

• Haha 1