Chapala.com Webboard

A few disappointments at the otherwise good Cam-Am Day festivities.

Nice turnout for the LCS Can-Am Day. Booths were plentiful and interesting, although it was a bit disappointing that LCS has taken up selling used (but still pirated) videos. Too bad there wasn't any of the good microbrewery beer (Minerva, for example) that was featured in years past. Lines were long at Tony's grill, but they ran out of sauerkraut very early and the brats were dry as sawdust. I heard many raving about the burgers. however. Bad choice on my part. All in all, a good party, but like everything else there's room for improvement.

Our burgers were woefully under-cooked. And I like rare but not quit that rare. Maybe we could get Tony to go back to just burgers and hot dogs, and let folks who know how to choose and cook brats make a little money as well. Just a thought.

I think Tony was a bit overwhelmed by the onrush of customers - most of whom wanted burgers but were less than pleased about waiting 20 or more minutes in line for them. I heartily agree with your idea of more food venders and diversity.

I'm frustrated that Lakeside Spay Neuter wasn't allowed to have a booth because they always sell the BEST brats anywhere. And the homemade German potato salad is absolutely yummy. I thought this was an event where charities got to try to raise some money. What's with having Tony's sell brats...and they were terrible at that, dry, grainy and NO flavor. The Ranch's authentic brats are a tradition at Can-Am Days and they should continue!

Nice turnout for the LCS Can-Am Day. Booths were plentiful and interesting, although it was a bit disappointing that LCS has taken up selling used (but still pirated) videos. Too bad there wasn't any of the good microbrewery beer (Minerva, for example) that was featured in years past. Lines were long at Tony's grill, but they ran out of sauerkraut very early and the brats were dry as sawdust. I heard many raving about the burgers. however. Bad choice on my part. All in all, a good party, but like everything else there's room for improvement.

I would point out that all the DVDs were given to LCS by the folks who bought them. We didn't buy them. Should we have thrown them away?? Too bad about the food.

In my opinion, Z, you should not have accepted them in the first place (or at least thrown them out).. They are stolen goods and, not to be overly harsh, LCS appeared to be fencing them.

In my opinion, Z, you should not have accepted them in the first place (or at least thrown them out).. They are stolen goods and, not to be overly harsh, LCS appeared to be fencing them.

I guess we disagree. They dump this kind of stuff including live animals, 20 year old software, anything they don't want. We get it. They don't ask us they just dump it. Throwing it away is a waste. If these copies never existed Hollywood would be no richer as Mexican would never pay $20US for a DVD. Yes it is theft of bits but hardly stolen goods. I have lost royalties from SW I have written that was copied. Oh well thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. If Hollywood was not so greedy and charged $5 for a CD/DVD instead of 13 to 20 bucks they might not be in the situation they are in today. The best artists only get a buck per disk, Packaging and media costs about a buck, Buck for the merchant, buck for delivery and marketing still leaves a buck for profit. No sympathy from this boy to Hollywood. By the way I have a very large collection of legal DVD's and CDs so I don't buy bootleg media as I do think it is wrong but I can't see throwing it away if it exists. Maybe a slippery slope but who knows.

My issue has nothing to do with Hollywood greed, the affordability of DVDs to locals or even the likely involvement of drug cartels/organized crime in the production and distribution of pirated videos. Rather I question whether LCS should be involved in the resale of what even you admit are stolen goods. LCS has wisely chosen not to included pirated videos in their rental service so why should the organization participate in trafficking in them. The analogies are too numerous to get into, so suffice it to say that LCS is certainly a better organization than this and would be wise to avoid reselling pirated goods in the future. I step down from my soap box.

Archived