Chapala.com Webboard

WTF with "Like This" button????

Okay, I used to be able to "Like" at least one and ONLY ONE comment a freakin' day. But now I cannot even seem to do that!!! Whenever I click "Like" on a comment, I automatically get the "You've exceeded your Likes for the day" warning message!!! WTF?? Why can't I "Like" as many freakin comments as I want on any freakin day???!!!!!!

I've never 'liked' anything. Ever. I think it's wholly ridiculous. Especially when someone on FB passes something around like, 'click like if you think starving children is bad'. What a moronic thing to post. Not to mention the fact that FB and others gather all those likes to flesh out it's digital picture of you, which they distribute as they see fit. Please press Like if you think pressing like is stupid.

I've never 'liked' anything. Ever. I think it's wholly ridiculous. Especially when someone on FB passes something around like, 'click like if you think starving children is bad'. What a moronic thing to post. Not to mention the fact that FB and others gather all those likes to flesh out it's digital picture of you, which they distribute as they see fit. Please press Like if you think pressing like is stupid.

Couldn't agree more. Think it is part of the whole reality TV, Facebook, Twitter, etc. phenomenon, where everyone has been led to believe that their opinion is somehow really important and earthshattering. Truly absurd.

Couldn't agree more. Think it is part of the whole reality TV, Facebook, Twitter, etc. phenomenon, where everyone has been led to believe that their opinion is somehow really important and earthshattering. Truly absurd.

Likewise.

I'm one of those people who like a modicum of privacy in my life and thoroughly reject the social media phenomenon of Facebook, etc. I'm sick of my mail inbox being invaded with unwanted invitations to join Linkedin and Facebook from people who must have been snitched out of my contacts list from long ago. If I want to connect with someone, I write an email or phone them to keep in touch.

It appears from the news that only lately, are people becoming aware of how much their privacy is being invaded by those social media sites. What were they thinking...........that there was a "free lunch" and vast amounts of money and time were being spent by those sites from the generosity of the entrepreneurs' hearts?

Mudgirl made another good point about the "self-esteem" thing. This curmudgeoness thinks that self esteem should come from honest achievements, be it from being a musician or scholar, a generous volunteer, a good parent or any number of other things.

The other part of this is the laziness factor. Or so I've had it explained to me. To be clear, the laziness appellation is one that I applied, not one they think is deserved. 'Like' is a way of showing you approve or agree with the poster. My point it is, if you agree with them, then write and tell them so. Too much work apparently.

To continue a thought which Gringal raised, I'm sick to death of 'live tweets' and FB comments being displayed throughout my shows. Even Deadliest Catch does it now, and I can hardly think of a less interactive experience than Deadliest Catch. There they are though, displaying one inane comment after another throughout the show. My favorites, if you can have a favorite thing which you abhor, are the ones which offer advice for crab-fishing on the Bering Sea. As if they have the slightest clue. Other shows are also looking for 'trending' opportunities. Someone on the show will say something or do something the slightest bit out of the ordinary, and some producer gets excited and a hashtag phrase will come up on your screen in the hopes that the audience will run with it. #vaguelyamusing #chapala #pissoff.

Archived