Chapala.com Webboard

Clarification needed on driving a vehicle into Mexico.....

elevator

I have posted previously regarding my plans to drive down from Atlanta in my car in several weeks to rent a house. After securing a place my plan is to fly back to Atlanta, load up the RV and head back down with wife and pets.

Several posters responded I could not legally leave without my vehicle, although several suggested it is possible to do so without a problem. After doing more research it appears that that I could apply for a temporary resident visa which would allow leaving my vehicle. However, it appears one must have Mexican address to obtain this visa. Or maybe I'm reading it incorrectly.

I have also read that I may obtain some type of waiver/bond from an attorney In Mexico that will allow me to leave the car legally for a period of time.

If anyone is knowledgeable regarding this issue please let me know.

I plan on visiting the consulate in Atlanta next week so that will probably provide answers.

You may apply for a Residente Temporal Visa at the nearest Mexican Consulate in your home country. There are financial requirements to be proven. The approval for this visa will be entered into your passport and you must enter Mexico within 180 days. After entering Mexico, you have 30 days to report to the nearest full service INM office to begin the process of completing your visa. This may take some time, even a few months, so do not plan travel outside of Mexico until you have the visa in hand.

Once you have the visa, you are free to enter/exit Mexico at will, with or without your vehicle. Note that only one vehicle may be imported in an individual name, so you will not be able to leave a car in Mexico, then also bring in another vehicle. So, you must be sure that the vehicles are in the separate names of you and your wife.

If you plan to remain in Mexico for more than four years, you will then become Residente Permanente and no longer permitted to have, or drive, a non-Mexican vehicle. So, you must also plan on removing your temporarily imported vehicles from Mexico and buying any replacement vehicles in Mexico, in the state where you reside. Permanent importation by an individual is seldom practical, only for NAFTA vehicles of certain age, and always expensive.

I know of no waivers to any of these requirements.

yes it does...read it ALL again carefully....especially this part...

"Once you have the visa, you are free to enter/exit Mexico at will, with or without your vehicle. Note that only one vehicle may be imported in an individual name, so you will not be able to leave a car in Mexico, then also bring in another vehicle. So, you must be sure that the vehicles are in the separate names of you and your wife."

Elevator,

Just to be sure that you know: You may not leave a temporarily imported vehicle behind in Mexico if you only have a tourist permit.

Only a Residente Temporal visa allows you to do that.

An individual, tourist or resident, may only have one temporarily imported vehicle in Mexico.

You have posted your inquiry in several places at different times, and I fear that you are hoping that someone will tell you what you want to hear, instead of what the situation requires. If they do, you will suffer the inconveniences of that error. There is an RV situation on a 10 year permit, which includes a towed car, but that does not fit your scenario.

Guest PalapaGirl

If your vehicle is not being used in Mexico, but stored, since when is it illegal to leave it? We have left on short visits out of the country by air and returned. It is my understanding that the law is to prevent one from selling one's vehicle in Mexico or from illegally importing vehicles. As long as you take your vehicle out before the expiration date, why would it be illegal to leave it at your residence?

If you come down and get the temporary visa then you can leave your car, if you come down as a tourist and fly back your car will be illegal when you leave the country and will not be legal again until you get a retorno seguro and make a border run . There are no attorney bonds. do this:

Get preapproved temporary visa at consulate

get temporary car importation permit

finish temporary process in Mexico using new address for your address (even use a friends and change later)

Will you rent in an RV park or a home?

It's illegal because the car is here on the original FMM and Passport. Getting a new FMM at the airport does not match with your original. You are betting you won't be caught because Mexico technology can't track you

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I have posted regarding this previously and again because I have read that there are ways to do it as related. I completely understand about one vehicle per person. The RV is a rental and will be returned to San Antonio. If we tow my wife's car it will be in her name.

Hopefully I can complete the temporal visa while there and that solves it. If not I have friends there who will let me use their address so that seems to work as well.

The consulate will probably be the final word when I visit. Acquiring a waiver/bond appeared in a couple searches. Sorry to be a bother.

Doubt you can bring a rental into Mexico, make an alternate plan if you cannot or have an unpleasant surprise.

Some rental agencies may allow the unit to be taken into the free zone, or Baja Norte, for example, but I also doubt that he will be able to get an Importada Temporal for the rental. That would probably get him stopped at the border when he tries for a permit, but definitely at the interior checkpoint; the unpleasant surprise is being sent back out of Mexico.

Consulates are seldom the final word, as they are neither INM nor Aduana and usually don‘t know the details of those other agencies. They are SRE (Foreign Affairs) and simply pre-screen and pre-approve visa applicants. The official action happens in Mexico.

Elevator, we are simply trying to keep you from making an expensive mistake. I have never heard of a rental RV from the USA inside the interior of Mexico. The RV crowd are all owners of their units.

According the MexPro Insurance site who issues insurance for vehicles, including rvs into Mexico, it is doable s long as I have notarized letter from the lienholder/dealer.

I am also going to check with Banerjito, who is the official provider of vehicle import permits, for Mexico.

If this gets too complicated I will drive the RV to San Antonio , turn it in and have some moving folks from Chapala meet us to take the stuff from the RV to Chapala. It would all fit in a small delivery type truck. The wife and the pets and I will then drive in her car, which we are towing, to Lakeside. Just a 1-1/2 day drive we can handle in her car.

If this gets too complicated I will drive the RV to San Antonio , turn it in and have some moving folks from Chapala meet us to take the stuff from the RV to Chapala. It would all fit in a small delivery type truck. The wife and the pets and I will then drive in her car, which we are towing, to Lakeside. Just a 1-1/2 day drive we can handle in her car.

As I have 'followed your planning', this sounds like the best alternative that has been proposed.

Some of us have, in years past, driven into Mexico obtaining a temporary car permit and visa, flown back out, flown back in and then driven the car out (all within the 180-dayTemporary Permit and visa limit). It probably was not within the letter of the law then but we did it without consequences. But today things are more computerized and this might not even be doable any more or may have potential consequences, especially if one is heading towards getting a Temporal visa.

According the MexPro Insurance site who issues insurance for vehicles, including rvs into Mexico, it is doable s long as I have notarized letter from the lienholder/dealer.

I am also going to check with Banerjito, who is the official provider of vehicle import permits, for Mexico.

You said that you were RENTING an RV which you will bring into Mexico and then return to San Antonio. A rental is not the same as a vehicle that you have purchased that has a lien. 'Permission from the lienholder' means that the person or dealer who has loaned you money to PURCHASE a vehicle writes you a letter of permission to bring the vehicle into Mexico. Has nothing to do with renting a vehicle.

Years of past and current first hand reports on expat RV forums confirm that your insurance agent is entirely correct. With the approval letter from the rental agency, using a Residente Temporal permit, you can bring a rented RV into Mexico on a 10 year temporary import permit, with no hassles.

Archived