Chapala.com Webboard

Some kind of fiesta day today?

What the &*^% is going on? It's 1 in the morning, a very loud horns and drums band is playing badly, there were cohetes during the day. Some kind of fiesta?

Look around on shaw , U have watch just about every game on Shaw so it will be on one of the channels check 292. Sorry I am in Chiapas now and I have Megacable so I do not have the program in from Shaw but several channels are carrying the world cup.

Thanks, Xena, why do I think I'll ever figure out music and rockets in Mexico?

Your best guess for noise (loud bands, fireworks, etc.) on weekends is a wedding, birthday party, or some sort of family celebration especially if there's not a local or national holiday on our calendar for that time.

Big celebration going on further east along the north shore in San Pedro. It is the town's birthday today and it is over 500 years old apparently.

Brad, you will get better at it, but it seems you have to be here decades to really understand it. However, after a while you just go along with it, knowing happy people are celebrating something. Along with noise and other disruptions, more joy is being released and you learn to tune into that--if you are lucky.

San Pedro is a long way from Ajijic. By the way Ajijic has several barrios and each barrio has its own saint so maybe it is the saint´s fiesta in your barrio.

In San Cristobal we have something like 30 something barrios so we are good for fiestas around the

clock all year long. Right now Santo Domingo is celbrated the Sacred Heart so we are good for 9 days

of cohetes. San Cristobal is sometimes this month as well so that will be another 9 days and I am

sure that considering the number of churches around there will be another 2 saints to be celebrated

this months which will explain the non stop cohetes. We also have lots of roof cats and they fight and and have these horrible calls all day and night long, I think I lie the fighting roosters better as the feral cats are driving me up the wall.

We also have lots of drunks screaming at night ..do not complain about Ajijic ,, it is very quiet in

comparaison. One good thing the roofs are too steep to have roof dogs but the few people who have

terrasses or flat roofs also have dogs on them..

Given that this past Sunday was the Catholic feast of Saints Peter & Paul, that might explain the fiesta, especially in San Pedro. As Mexico is such a Catholic country, expats might want to get a catholic calendar so they can anticipate feasts...not sure what the Mexican bishops have, but the US RC bishops have an easy website at:

www.usccb.org

Archived