Chapala.com Webboard

St Remy du Lac Menu

PECANS

I'll repeat my mantra: "we are all food critics since we all eat".

However, some people seem to be having a problem with the price structure, as though it "should" be lower.

"Should" is a problematic word in nearly any context.

I don't have a problem with the prices. Fancy food requires fancy ingredients and skillful preparation.

I can't afford to eat there on a regular basis. That being said, I think it's just fine that there is a place for people with sophisticated palates and the income they need to indulge them. For me, it would be a "special occasion" place, but based on the menu posted, it might be too rich for my squirrely digestion, so??

There are plenty of good, lower priced restaurants for the general population here to enjoy. For that, I'm glad.

Enjoy what you can afford.

Soup is considered a filler but one of the best dishes that we ever had was a lobster bisque made by Masa when he moved to California from New York to L Auberge du Soleil in the Napa Valley , it was so good that when it came time to chose the desert my husband asked if he could substitute the desert for another Bisque, the chef agreed and the waiter brought the bisque asking my husband if he wanted some bread with his "desert".

The price is the price the restaurant chooses to charge and can always pick something that you perceive

is a better value.

The prices at this restaurant have been a topic of conversation on the web boards (including this thread) as well as in the community. So, I do not understand why gringal saying, "Some people seem to be having a problem with the price structure" warrants a "You never stop."

The prices at this restaurant have been a topic of conversation on the web boards (including this thread) as well as in the community. So, I do not understand why gringal saying, "Some people seem to be having a problem with the price structure" warrants a "You never stop."

Neither does the whiner who's never eaten there. Give it up.

Because you side with Gringal at every opportunity when it comes to "some people". You think we don't know this? Furthermore, let's stop playing footsie; since you won't come right out and say it, I will. She was referring to me, albeit in a very paper tiger manner.

Neither does the whiner who's never eaten there. Give it up.

Whiner? Can none of you disagree without getting personal? Stay on the other board for that. That's where the whiners really hang out. Saltos, I gave you more credit than that.

This thread got hijacked some time back and it's sad because the dining establishment featured is effectively one of the two best restaurants currently at Lakeside. Yes, they are effectively worlds apart in structure, appearance and approach but they each serve impeccably prepared "quality" food at prices that totally represent the ingredient value combined with their individual level of operational overhead. The complainers herein have no idea what they are talking about; should have realized that and given up long ago! Nuff said!

This thread got hijacked some time back and it's sad because the dining establishment featured is effectively one of the two best restaurants currently at Lakeside. Yes, they are effectively worlds apart in structure, appearance and approach but they each serve impeccably prepared "quality" food at prices that totally represent the ingredient value combined with their individual level of operational overhead. The complainers herein have no idea what they are talking about; should have realized that and given up long ago! Nuff said!

All I have to say is that nobody is forced to eat anywhere, certainly not at a pricey place. So what's the problem, and why was there all that kerfuffle?

Quote: Soup is just a way of screwing you out of a meal. ~Jay Leno

However, in the case of Remy du Lac, from my first and recent visit; this restaurant shines in every category! If I was being "screwed" as a result of my soup indulgence, then I have to admit that my thoughts, at the time, were only of being able to master "seconds"! One good restaurant experience, regardless of price, far outweighs too frequent bad experiences....regardless of price!

OK. This sounds like the kind of restaurant we as Manhattan residents for years would have delighted in while at the same time we found those incredibly wonderful places at one-third the price. The great thing was we enjoyed superb food at a range of prices.

I'm only saying that Remy du Lac sounds lovely and very pricey and that this kind of dining is in my past.

On the other hand, it sounds like Pecans is inviting me to lunch. Oh, lovely gal, is that true???

Lexy

Tough town. God help the restauranteurs.

Shout out to KevinK: Cafe Campagne!!! Is it still pretty great?

A tough town indeed for restaurateurs and I do hope St. Remy makes it.

Café Campagne is indeed still very good, though their wine list is due for an overhaul. French Onion Soup there, by the way is $12.50 (U.S.).

This will be obvious to a few folks, but unmentioned thus far in both this thread and others on St Remy and its predecessor at Hacienda del Lago is that real French food is all about high-quality proteins and fats, which are expensive. Italian places - even good ones - can offer a $10-15 plate of pasta with $1.50 of ingredient costs, but homemade stocks, meat and fish, butter and cheese and the like cost serious money, especially in México.

Personally I'm happy to pay the special occasion price once or twice a year and am only disappointed when the quality of the cooking isn't better than what I could do at home with equivalent ingredients. The other 98% of the time I'm happy to enjoy wonerful local meals out, at 20-70 pesos per person.

Archived