Chapala.com Webboard

St Remy du Lac Menu

PECANS

Pecans, dinner at those prices is not for me, altho I might try lunch for a special occasion. In my old age I have gone from tres chic to tres cheap, having had to revise the actuarial tables and realize I may have a long time to live and stretch my money, not like you working stiffs who are still raking in the dough;)

Why are people always trying to turn lakeside into a boutique community for the wealthy? Those prices are insane even where I come from. 95p for soup? I don't care what kind of soup,unless there is a pearl at the bottom...

Why are people always trying to turn lakeside into a boutique community for the wealthy? Those prices are insane even where I come from. 95p for soup? I don't care what kind of soup,unless there is a pearl at the bottom...

Because some are wealthy & some like to have a great dining experience. Nobody has to go who doesn't want to or can't afford to. Lunch was full when I was there.

Nobody is trying to turn Lakeside into anything. Some restaurateurs must feel there is a market for this type of food at these prices or they would not open that kind of business. If they are wrong they will go somewhere else.

Some peole like to hav many cheap lunches out some like to have a more expensive lunc or dinner once in a while. You have to have a large population base to make it in the higher end and future will ell if there is enough people for this type of business, I hope so for them but it is a tough business so good luck to them.

It was full when I went as well but then it was their first week.

Thier service is impecable and the location delightful. This type of food is too rich for me to go very often but it is fun to experience once in a while.

95 pesos for a soup is not unheard of in Guadalajara or Mexico City and cheap for Europe...

It all depends on the ingredients, if you make an onion soup from scratch you need to make a good bee both and use grueyere or Emmenthal and plenty of it and these are not cheap you can also open a can of onion soup. The location, service are also part of the price.

The portion at ST Remy are very large, too large in my opinion so you get a lot of food for your money.

Yes, bmh, you are absolutely right about the ingredients. But I was using that merely as a base example; soup should never cost as much as a main course at other restuarants. I didn't mention the prices of their main courses, which are breathtakingly high.

Yes, bmh, you are absolutely right about the ingredients. But I was using that merely as a base example; soup should never cost as much as a main course at other restuarants. I didn't mention the prices of their main courses, which are breathtakingly high.

Where did you get that rule?

It's not a "rule". It's my personal opinion, and it suits me just fine. So go ahead and order your 95p soup, and enjoy it. Like I said, not me. And I think personal opinion is what makes this site work, not "he/she who is most right".

It's not a "rule". It's my personal opinion, and it suits me just fine. So go ahead and order your 95p soup, and enjoy it. Like I said, not me. And I think personal opinion is what makes this site work, not "he/she who is most right".

Quote: Soup is just a way of screwing you out of a meal. ~Jay Leno

However, in the case of Remy du Lac, from my first and recent visit; this restaurant shines in every category! If I was being "screwed" as a result of my soup indulgence, then I have to admit that my thoughts, at the time, were only of being able to master "seconds"! One good restaurant experience, regardless of price, far outweighs too frequent bad experiences....regardless of price!

Actually, Ginger, you think you are an expert in everything you say, and that is why you constantly nitpick. Denying it doesn't fool those that know you.

Your opinion again, strange as it is as well as bordering on a personal attack. I gave an opinion because unlike you, I've actually eaten there.

And this isn't a direct insult: "Well, I'm not an "expert in cuisine" like you but I'll stick with my opinion." Come on, you're just engaging in your usual rhetoric to hide your trolling. We all see through it. All I did was post my opinion. I didn't try to negate yours or anyone else's. You don't seem to be able to comprehend that. And since I was not commenting on the quality of the food, I don't see what your most current insult "unlike you, I've actually eaten there" has to do with anything in this thread.

How is that an insult? You claimed on a previous thread that you were an expert. I hope you decide to give this restaurant a try some time & in my opinion it's very good with generous portions at lunch but you may disagree. YMMV.

Archived