Chapala.com Webboard

Bats and hummingbird feeders

Turning on the back yard light the other night, we noticed a flock of bats circling rapidly around the perimeter. We realized they were landing briefly on the hummer feeder, taking a gulp, and then flapping off in the circle to allow the next thirsty winger. Pretty fascinating to watch and even got a little bit of video. The only problem is we don't really want to either a: feed both birds and bats, or b: remove the feeder every night at dusk and replace it every morning at dawn.

Does anyone know of a way to prevent the bats, or at least keep them at bay, without giving up the pleasures of watching the hummingbirds vie for power over the hanging strawberry? (We used water and sugar, not jarabe.)

I suppose you could go out and cover the feeder, and uncover it in the morning - but no less work than just taking the feeder inside. Plus you can check for mold and see if the feeder nectar needs changing when you bring it in.

Over time, we've figured out how much the hummingbirds consume in a day,

and we only fill the feeder with that much each morning. This is more to conserve

sugar water, than to discourage the bats. We actually enjoy the bats.

Bats will eat insects when other sources of food are scarce, and I think

this may be the reason we seem to have very few mosquitos at times when others

seem to be plagued.

Thanks, everyone. I like bats too, actually. It is kind of amazing to see them do this. But I think I like hummingbirds more. I like the idea of just putting in enough juice for the day.

Hola Computerguy,

Buy a hummzinger. They are available on Amazon. They come with small plastic nipples that allow the sharp beaks of hummingbirds to pass through, but prevent the soft tongues of bats to penetrate. Problem solved.

Best wishes,

Henry Laxen

As endangered as bats are & considering they eat more than their own weight in insects every night,

I'd feel better about putting the feeders out at dusk and bringing them in at dawn!

WOW! I have a 15 year old Hummzinger that I brought with me, but this new version looks even better. Absolutely the best hummingbird feeder ever - easy to keep clean, hummers love them and they are indestructible. Looks like you need the Hummzinger Ultra to get the anti insect and bat feature. Well worth the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Aspects-367-Hummzinger-Hummingbird-12-Ounce/dp/B000CSH7VA

As endangered as bats are & considering they eat more than their own weight in insects every night,

I'd feel better about putting the feeders out at dusk and bringing them in at dawn!

Since bats are nocturnal creatures, I think you mean the opposite, si?

Another point of view: Hummers love vines; they come in droves to ours; color doesn't matter, either. How about skipping the feeders and planting the nectar sources they love?

Yes these are fruit bats and they can eat out of the Humzinger feeders. For the hanging feeders they just smack into the and go hang to lick themselves clean. They also actually hover and stick their tounges in the holes on the feeders that I have afixed to PVC poles.

Good photos. That feeder is for orioles, and the holes are much bigger than a standard hummingbird station.

That's the most common hummingbird feeder sold here.

The photos are great.

Archived