Chapala.com Webboard

Ants in My Electronics

I was having some mechanical work done in Ixtlahuacan on the 4x4 and I got a call from the mechanic saying the words every auto owner dreads - "we ran into a problem". It turns out not so bad, there was a nest of black widow spiders in the undercarriage and we had to pay another $200 pesos for them to get the exterminator in. It was funny because this is a family of mechanical geniuses who can fix anything - aircraft, marine - anything. They used to do a lot of racing. They were still afraid/cautious of spiders.

What's funny is you paying 200 pesos to kill some capulinas when a 30 peso can of Raid would have done the job with plenty of Raid left over for the next time...te vieron la cara de..

• 2 months later...

UPDATE to my earlier post #21 in this thread http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=50676&p=430843

As conejorapido noted, the main ingredient in Terro is boric acid. Nonetheless, and even though the Amazon.com site claims that it CAN be shipped to Mexico, my order was turned back twice by customs. :-/ But I kept looking and trying to find a local solution.

See my post on a different thread about ANTEX. http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=52892&p=439279

The ANTEX solution worked on the tiny ants crawling all over our counter tops in the kitchen and the bathrooms. I have yet to determine if it is working on the larger ants that were (are?) in my electronics. To knock down those ants, I had the gardener spray an insecticide outside on the terraza and other areas where ants were swarming. I followed up by sprinkling some DE (Diatomaceous earth) around the same areas, and also near areas where the ants might enter the house. I now have some ANTEX bait traps near my electronics and haven't seen a single taker yet.

I am also sealing the light switches and outlets where I have seen ants coming and going. While I have the switch/outlet cover off, I am sprinkling DE into the hole before sealing it up. I am using Mortite rope caulk (ordered from the US via Amazon) to form a seal around the hole and then replacing the cover.

Hope these measures are enough to keep the little buggers at bay.

Archived