Chapala.com Webboard

Federal Noise Law meeting

ChrisB

The Lakeside Community Council had a meeting with the Chapala authorities regarding the new federal noise law.

We advised them that any official or police officer who has a smart phone can get a decibel level measurement ap. Ipod aps are available through apple and android through Google play. The Ajijic Delegado Advisory Committee will assist any official needing an ap.

There are three enforcement inspectors assigned to Ajijic. They were identified as Alonzo Bocho, Juan and Juan Cortez.

The process was setup where residents would call the police 765-4444, when they believe the law is being violated. The police can ask the offender to comply, but, have no authority to enter a property. If the offender doesn't comply or returns to the violation once the police leave, you must call the police again and ask for an inspector to come. Please monitor and report to the delegado or any advisory committee member if the inspector doesn't come.

Copies of the law are available from the Guadalajara Reporter.

ALL events should have a licence from C. Luis Ernesto Lopez Amavizca, Oficial Mayor de Padron y licencias 765-8013. He has agreed to give a copy of the law with all licences.

Enforcement officials are currently receiving training on enforcement of the law.

Dale Palfrey of the Guadalajara Reporter will be doing a more detailed account of the meeting

You mean like the Beautiful Mexican Culture entitled "The Great American Songbook" that in my supposedly residential neighborhood we all get to listen to so loud in our homes we don't even have to pay the cover charge at the local cabaret masquerading as a restaurant?

I suppose I should be very grateful to the proprietors for providing me all that "Mexican culture" free of charge.

:D

Guest bennie2

amplifiers as big as refrigerators are the "beautiful mexican culture" (??) each to his own. in w/MC on this one. put your musical fridge where it belongs. btw, i have heard complaints from mexicans about this for years. whatever "culture" this is, they dont want it.

In my experience, most Mexicans find the noise just as objectionable as we do,and my Mexican friends all agree it's gotten much worse in their neighborhoods as time has gone on. Sadly, the Mexican culture of yore, as has been noted here a lot, involved acoustic - non-amplified - mariachis, romantic trios, marimbas,organ grinders, and all kinds of other wonderful traditional Mexican folk music which is - regrettably - probably doomed to extinction because now we have speakers the size of VW bugs that can blast "popular music" for blocks in every direction.

This federal law was passed in Mexico City by Mexicans for Mexicans, and most of the people I know are really happy about it because all over the country, people are saying that enough is enough. I personally have suffered through enough horrible 3 a.m. parties and the incessant racket from nearby eventos so that from my perspective, this law couldn't have come into effect soon enough.

One contributor to noise pollution at Lakeside (and in the USA) is the Harley Davidson motorcycle (and similar makes) - and the noise can be equally as annoying if you have one stabled next door to you. Shouldn't think that there are many Mexicans who own such a motorcycle but many expats do, so don't just look at music to be the sole source of excessive noise pollution.

In my experience, most Mexicans find the noise just as objectionable as we do,and my Mexican friends all agree it's gotten much worse in their neighborhoods as time has gone on. Sadly, the Mexican culture of yore, as has been noted here a lot, involved acoustic - non-amplified - mariachis, romantic trios, marimbas,organ grinders, and all kinds of other wonderful traditional Mexican folk music which is - regrettably - probably doomed to extinction because now we have speakers the size of VW bugs that can blast "popular music" for blocks in every direction.

This federal law was passed in Mexico City by Mexicans for Mexicans, and most of the people I know are really happy about it because all over the country, people are saying that enough is enough. I personally have suffered through enough horrible 3 a.m. parties and the incessant racket from nearby eventos so that from my perspective, this law couldn't have come into effect soon enough.

Excellent post, thanks!

Popular music has been international for a long time. This oft-repeated notion that until recently Mexico has only enjoyed unamplified, traditional Mexican music is absurd. If you don't believe me, google "popularity of Beattles in Mexico". That goes back an easy 50 years, just for starters.

Love it or hate it or both, Mexico is not a quiet country. I doubt it ever was. Good luck with the noise ordinance.

One contributor to noise pollution at Lakeside (and in the USA) is the Harley Davidson motorcycle (and similar makes) - and the noise can be equally as annoying if you have one stabled next door to you. Shouldn't think that there are many Mexicans who own such a motorcycle but many expats do, so don't just look at music to be the sole source of excessive noise pollution.

There are thousands more Mexicans here in Mexico with Harleys and other straight pipe motorcycles than your "expats".

There are thousands more Mexicans here in Mexico with Harleys and other straight pipe motorcycles than your "expats".

good call behnwau. how insulting the comment was from stanuck to the many many mexican m.c.'s organized by nationals from all over the country of mexico.

First we have to give the authorities an opportunity to do their jobs before we berate them for not doing their jobs. READ the original post.

Secondly only recently have gigantic speakers become financially available to almost everyone. We recently went to a baptism with just a two piece band that was so loud it hurt. That is where the problem is

Guest bennie2

MC, the younger mexicans like the loud music. when most of them have children & jobs to go to they change their tune. i have mexican friends in their 40s. they go nuts w/that music. the teenage/20 something children love it. i agree that the motorcycles are just as bad. shame on elderly expat musicians for polluting the envirement! agree that is nasty.

Behnwau and blondiegal.

Perhaps if you read my original post again you will note that I did not comment upon Mexico as a whole but specifically upon Lakeside. But, no matter where it is, an excessively noisy motorcycle is a noise pollutant - straight through exhaust and all.

No, the electric bike will have to have a thousand watt sound system to broadcast the Harley "sound" or there will be no takers. :D

My brother has one of those noise/shaker boxes. I won't even get on it. BMW proves that a real motorcycle is powerful, quiet and has state of the art handling.

Harley's are mainly surface-improved 40 year old technology.

Behnwau and blondiegal.

Perhaps if you read my original post again you will note that I did not comment upon Mexico as a whole but specifically upon Lakeside. But, no matter where it is, an excessively noisy motorcycle is a noise pollutant - straight through exhaust and all.

OK then. There are dozens more Mexican "noisy" "great sounding" bikers here every week end than there are expats. As far as those that live here,it's about equal.

Archived