Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex increases my speed!

3572988733.png

I have been on the $599/mo plan for 8 years and have never gotten above 1.75 download.

I surveyed my neighbors and found out what their speed is-only one other had my slow speed and the rest were around 3-4mgs. I took my list into Telmex to show them and the rep looked up my account and typed something in and told me I would have at least 2mgs more within 48 hours. 2 days later I did have 3-3.5 so I was happy- I just checked again and I am finally getting my 5 that I have been paying for all these years! I have gone in to complain at least once every year to no avail so if you have slow speeds go complain- they are finally giving us what we have been paying for!

maw

If the only reason you are paying $599 is for Internet speed and you are happy with 3MB more or less then here is an idea. Change to the 389 plan and you will get roughly the same speed. It worked for me. There are additional calling benefits included in the $599 package so if that is important then just be happy with what you have:-)

P.S. Two years ago I was only receiving about 1.5 download speed and paying for 5MB. After complaining and demanding a refund, they boosted the speed and provided a partial credit for 3 months . The speed was then about 3.0 which was great but taking the next step I cut back to the $389 plan and am getting 3.11 according to Speedtest today. Sometimes there is an over-charge for a heavy month of calling (and we do a lot of calling normally) but it has never exceeded $35 pesos So my phone bill is 33% less or over the last two years I've saved over 4,800 pesos.. FWIW

Please pardon the bragging.

I have been on the $599/mo plan for 8 years and have never gotten above 1.75 download. I just checked again and I am finally getting my 5 that I have been paying for all these years! I have gone in to complain at least once every year to no avail so if you have slow speeds go complain- they are finally giving us what we have been paying for! maw

Excellent news. Perhaps we are on the verge of "the end" of this rather lazy "that's the best you can get in your area" mantra that they have been laying on people the last couple of years (while continually advertising otherwise).

If the only reason you are paying $599 is for Internet speed and you are happy with 3MB more or less then here is an idea. Change to the 389 plan and you will get roughly the same speed. It worked for me. There are additional calling benefits included in the $599 package so if that is important then just be happy with what you have:-)

P.S. Two years ago I was only receiving about 1.5 download speed and paying for 5MB. After complaining and demanding a refund, they boosted the speed and provided a partial credit for 3 months . The speed was then about 3.0 which was great but taking the next step I cut back to the $389 plan and am getting 3.11 according to Speedtest today. Sometimes there is an over-charge for a heavy month of calling (and we do a lot of calling normally) but it has never exceeded $35 pesos So my phone bill is 33% less or over the last two years I've saved over 4,800 pesos.. FWIW

Please pardon the bragging.

We also were on the $599 package for some time. Then Telmex volunteered about a year ago in a telephone call to me to lower the monthly rate and improve the download speed for $389 monthly. It seemed like a good deal.

Today I checked my speeds: 3.12 download, .28 upload and 27 ms ping. That might not please some you computer whizzes, but it's ok with me. And I still get other benefits like long distance tel calls.

Thanks, More Liana, for that speedtest website.

Lexy

I went in and tried to duplicate the miracle of instant speed increase. Apparently this isn't given to everyone. I am among the undeserving with my intermittent service and 1.7 - 3.0. The clerk pointed out the one high test of 3.5 and asked me if it was the upload or download. I didn't scream. Pretty proud of myself.

So instead of an increase, I'm getting a repair call next week to check the lines. Again. /sigh

Hmm, I just ran the speed test and got 10.72 download and .81 upload with 43 ping test. I guess I'm pretty lucky?

Well if you have Telmex, it's likely that you have worse eyesight that you thought. Or you could be hallucinating?

What level of service do you buy and from whom?

10.5 Down 1.5 up Telecable in Upper Ajijic Main Service for house. Feed big wifi ant. system. Used for watching baseball over internet in HD.

.8 Down .2 up Telmex Line would support 2 down but I want this to work in the rain. Too far from switch for high speed. Use this for backup and VOIP line.

We would not live without both. Telecable in my opinion goes down more often than Telmex. They feel different from each other. With Telecable you share the cable with your neighbors so when you run speedtest you can see the traffic go up and down on the gauge. Telmex is wired directly back to the switch so it is steadier. Both services are slowed down by a lack of investment in Mexico on Internet pipes north. I think my 10 download Internet service alone from Telecable is around 600P, 15 is 1000P. These are non bundled prices. The sweetspot is 8 from Telecable cost wise. Telmex is bundle so can't directly compare costs.

Well if you have Telmex, it's likely that you have worse eyesight that you thought. Or you could be hallucinating?

What level of service do you buy and from whom?

I did the test twice. I used my glasses! I have telmex and the package is "ACERQUES" for $505 pesos according to my telephone bill. I live in Arroyo Alto. Guess I'll just smile and be happy.

One thing that frustrates me about speedtest.net is that it labels your speed with the *highest* number rather than the average. Our download speed is extremely spiky, so that we might be getting, say, ~1.5mbps most of the time, but because it spiked for a fraction of a second, the reported download speed is 3.5 or 4.

Trouble is, it can't do an "average", so it shows you what your PC is capable of. To me that is all-important. It means it can be fast. Downloads and webpage transfers depend on so many other things.

If you want a real test, you need to download a large file from somewhere and just watch the progress bar. It will show you your constant speed. You could try www.tucows.com, or perhaps Open Office: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/latest/download

We live in Chula Vista Norte, near the top so we're far, far away from the switch, and have the 389 (3 Mbps) plan. The best that we can get is 1.68 Mbps.

Anyone living in CVN getting a significantly higher speed?

3575979225.png

We are getting a very steady signal (not spiky) and the ping speed is good. Another OOKLA site that people can use to test the overall quality of their line is http://www.pingtest.net/.

As they say on the site "Streaming media, voice, video communications, and online gaming require more than just raw speed."

Archived