Chapala.com Webboard

Another Board Member Resigns

El Saltos

Not that I know of and I talked to the events coordinator two days ago and I believe she is a volunteer.

I have never felt so positive about LCS. We have a grounds director. We have been working on the volunteer program with Terry watching things. We are just finishing up a decent new bathroom next to the Café with handicap rails and such, hot water for the café, bathroom, and cleaning folks. We rebuilt most of the lights in the middle room of the library. We will be completely replacing the lights in the east room of the library with six sets of matching double large and recycling the old lights after they are rebuilt to the dark areas around the compound. Eventually we will relamp the Sala when funds are made available. We have drastically improved the jungle that was LCS and have active gardeners running around. Back fish pond will be drained (yes the fish will be moved) and the leaks fixed later in the year.

We are going forward and I like the direction we are going. I have no idea if a board member has resigned nor do I care. I let them do the job they do and I do my job based on the decision the board and management makes. I am very happy with the changes made.

The Board member who resigned was my wife. She felt that she could not continue to do the job fully and also spend a lot of time helping with staff training and other activities at Love In Action. In actuality, her training is exactly in those areas of staff training and support that will make a huge difference at Love In Action. They are thrilled to have her.

Although some of the members of LCS sometimes behave like vindictive and attention starved children, this change will enable her to devote her time and energy to working with very needy and deserving youngsters. I am delighted she had made this move as I've encouraged her for some time to take the opportunity to work in the area that is a direct fit to her previous career and interests in helping special needs children.

She felt that now that things are on an even keel there, it was a good time to return to her first love, working with children and organizations that help children.

I agree with the above post, LCS is running better than it has ever done so in the six plus years we've lived here. Fortunately, the folks whose agenda is to tear down LCS are not much seen there of late. Hopefully, none of them will renew their memberships at the end of the year.

El Saltos, the rumor I accused you of floating was not that a board member had resigned (I knew one had) but the REASON. In truth, you had NO idea why she resigned but you groundlessly speculated anyway, putting a negative spin on something that is actually quite positive.

I hope your wife will find it more rewarding working with the kids at Love in Action. She has been generous with her time and energy.

As far as the Events Coordinator is concerned, I do believe it is a new PAID position based on reliable information and would appreciate learning the facts. Since the LCS coffers are diminishing by the year, I don't think that raising the dues and hiring someone to put on more unaffordable events is the solution. To me, that's like the local restaurant solution of raising the prices and lowering the quality when business isn't good.

The only complaints I've had about LCS are when some of the people in charge start floating ideas like selling that wonderful "heritage" property and moving to a mall or the suchlike.

I'd also like to see some movement in the direction of making the library meet the needs of today's world. We might attract some new people if we did that.

For instance, I belong to a book club which usually selects Booker award and Pulitzer prize books (usually from a few years ago, so current publication is NOT the problem.) The last six times I've tried to find them in the library on the machine, the book isn't there and in the last years I have spent more money ordering it from Kindle that my annual dues at LCS. This is not the sort of thing that makes a member want to renew and in my mind, is a priority issue.

Edited by moderator to remove person's real name.

I'll bet they would appreciate your help as a library volunteer, Gringal. You have a lot of good ideas. You could also apply for the open Board seat, I think you would be a real asset to the LCS Board.

Thank you for the kind words about my wife. I think she worked very hard and did a lot of good for LCS during her tenure. I'm excited about what she'll bring to Love In Action.

Talked to the Events coordinator this morning. Like me she is not paid.

I got my info from the Events Coordinator and Terry. Good enough Gringal?

Board member leaving was for personal reasons as related in Mainecoons post earlier. No hostility here.

People come and go and I find the rumor patrol to be sad. Instead of asking here why not call up and ask Terry?

I didn't mind Gringal question as it was polite but the original question was LCS bashing and sad when you consider you could have asked and seen how ridiculous the question was. The original poster is not a very nice person by my opinion.

These are my opinions and not LCS opinions.

I would like Gringal to run for the board also but I do believe she is too busy. Maybe she will change her mind someday. She does have much experience to offer. I would not touch a board position with a ten foot pole but I use to negotiate on United Way boards between planned parenthood and shall we say conservative religious organizations. It takes guts to be on a board these days. I couldn't do it anymore. I would go boom. laugh out loud.

I would like Gringal to run for the board also but I do believe she is too busy. Maybe she will change her mind someday. She does have much experience to offer. I would not touch a board position with a ten foot pole but I use to negotiate on United Way boards between planned parenthood and shall we say conservative religious organizations. It takes guts to be on a board these days. I couldn't do it anymore. I would go boom. laugh out loud.

Gringal is heavily involved in the ASA organization and it's the kind that eats time. Yes, I have extensive business as well as private experience, but I am "retired" and not interested in taking on new work. I'll just limit my membership rights to complaining from the sidelines. lol. :unsure:

Thanks for checking out the information on the new Events Coordinator. This town is Rumor Central, and I like to check for facts.

• 8 months later...

The Board member who resigned was my wife. She felt that she could not continue to do the job fully and also spend a lot of time helping with staff training and other activities at Love In Action. In actuality, her training is exactly in those areas of staff training and support that will make a huge difference at Love In Action. They are thrilled to have her.

Although some of the members of LCS sometimes behave like vindictive and attention starved children, this change will enable her to devote her time and energy to working with very needy and deserving youngsters. I am delighted she had made this move as I've encouraged her for some time to take the opportunity to work in the area that is a direct fit to her previous career and interests in helping special needs children.

She felt that now that things are on an even keel there, it was a good time to return to her first love, working with children and organizations that help children.

I agree with the above post, LCS is running better than it has ever done so in the six plus years we've lived here. Fortunately, the folks whose agenda is to tear down LCS are not much seen there of late. Hopefully, none of them will renew their memberships at the end of the year.

Hey!

I'm new to the area, and i am looking to work and help with a non profit, i would love it if we got in touch. This is something that I always do and i haven't found anything since i moved here (well i haven't had time to look properly)

Let me know, thx!

Your best bet is to walk in the door and discuss volunteering opportunities face to face. Every one of the local non profits can always use more help. Your problem is not going to be finding who needs help, it will be managing all the requests for your participation!

Stop by the Service Desk in the Main Office and ask for a volunteer application. Rachel, our new volunteer coordinator, will contact you and by the way, she works in the office on Wednesdays. Various areas can use your help.

I probably should have done that when it first popped up. I think the question has been answered, hence I'll just close the thread. Abrydahab, if you want to continue the discussion, please start a new thread. If your interest is gathering information on a number of places to volunteer, I suggest you start a new thread on the general Ajijic/Chapala section.

Archived