Chapala.com Webboard

Is it just me or does MAÑANA get to you as well?

I've been relatively patient with most transactions that take longer than told it would take but this last one, the lady told me "I give you my word" that it would be here by today ... this after me asking her "Are you sure?"

So now it's at the end of the day and no call. I've tried calling her business phone and cell phone several times today but she won't answer. I betcha if I tried calling from another number, she'd answer her dang phone.

Well, you know what? I almost expect when a retailer tells me Tuesday that there will be a delay. I guess the "word" from this Mexican retailer isn't worth her breath. I will move on and buy somewhere else and she will lose the sale. Do you think that will fix her? She is selling me an item that I find is overpriced so maybe it will be to my advantage.

I'm just a frustrated Canadian today and thanks for listening.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand it's Mexico but one shouldn't give their "word" and then when they break their "word", purposely not answer their phone. That is adding salt to injury.

She will lose this sale.

I was buying 7 glass tiles: 4 at 150 pesos and 3 at 480 pesos (ouch).

Maybe another store will be happy to have my business.

I bought a whole whack of other tiles + thinset + grout from this lady already but I guess if she can't get the expensive tiles, that's just too bad for her. No?

Interestingly, the cultural philosophy is "nothing is that important" that it can't wait. Back home, heart attacks and high blood-pressure are rampant; here, not even close. The word Mañana really means things will happen "when things want to be done".

Hisorically, calendars here were based on season and not hours. Up north, we do everything by the minute, and attempt to waste none of it. In Mexico, extra time is to be enjoyed, not filled. Spanish rituals are slow and pedantic as well, and that all filtered into this country.

As far as appointments are concerned, two things: one, a sense of power is obtained by making you wait, but more tellingly, for centuries everyone had an abuela at home, so it never mattered if someone arrived on time, like it does with us. Best to ask is that la hora Americana or Mexicana?

I won't deny at all that this also allows some people to get away with murder by not answering their phones.

Remember , here he one who gets mad loses. No need to get excite if she has something you really want you talk to her if not just gie the business to someone else.

She probably has had problem getting the tiles for you and people do not like to give bad news so she

just does not want to speak to you. It is the way it is.

Wait until you invite someone for dinner and they accept and do not show up because it is ruder to turn

you down than not showing up....

These are cultural differences, no point getting back at her or getting upset as you are the one who will have the heart attack, not her. Just reward yourself with a nicemargarita for not blowing up at anyone.

Back home, heart attacks and high blood-pressure are rampant; here, not even close.

Best to ask is that la hora Americana or Mexicana?

I won't deny at all that this also allows some people to get away with murder by not answering their phones.

Luckily, I suffer from low blood pressure so maybe living here is good for my health lol A bit more stress and my pressure is normal?

Before moving here, I used to always ask: Is that Cuban or Canadian time? Cubans aren't in a rush either.

The service in Canada is getting worse and worse, well in my view anyway.

Remember , here he one who gets mad loses. No need to get excite if she has something you really want you talk to her if not just gie the business to someone else.

Very true but I'd talk to her if she'd answer her phone ... so yes she'll lose.

Unless she calls me first thing tomorrow morning saying she has the tiles, I'll be off to shop for different ones. I'm sure I can find something just as nice somewhere else. I don't care if I have to go to Guad. I just want my kitchen back after 2 weeks of chaos.

On another line of questioning, does 480 pesos for a 12" x 12" glass tile seem expensive?

We were lucky since we came from New Mexico where mañana pretty much works the same way. So we were already trained to it. :)

If anything, our experience is that we get better on time service here than we did there. It took a few years but we've identified the folks who can get it done on time, right and for a good price.

Life is good in Mexico! :D

If anything, our experience is that we get better on time service here than we did there. It took a few years but we've identified the folks who can get it done on time, right and for a good price.

Life is good in Mexico! :D

It is a learning curve either way. I am learning who can provide the on-time service (as much as possible) and who won't/can't.

On the weekend, I went to a glass place to ask for a price on some shelves I needed. The man told me he'd call on Monday morning to schedule a time to come by the same day. He did exactly as promised. When he arrived, we agreed on a price for 14 shelves and he promised to get them to me today, which he did. That's GREAT service.

I know this lady would sell me the tiles if she had them in her possession and someone along the line isn't providing a proper time-line but it doesn't mean she can ignore me which angers me further.

Life IS good in Mexico; frustration is part of life no matter where you live. I just wanted confirmation that I'm not alone in my frustration of MAÑANA. I'll always be high-strung and suffer the consequences. It happened in Canada too, though less often.

Meanwhile, the pool temperature is 90 and tequila is cheap :)

Very true but I'd talk to her if she'd answer her phone ... so yes she'll lose.

Unless she calls me first thing tomorrow morning saying she has the tiles, I'll be off to shop for different ones. I'm sure I can find something just as nice somewhere else. I don't care if I have to go to Guad. I just want my kitchen back after 2 weeks of chaos.

On another line of questioning, does 480 pesos for a 12" x 12" glass tile seem expensive?

No, that is about what I paid for them 2 years ago. Everybody carries the smaller ones but the 12x12 are scarse so maybe she had to chase them up in Guad, and might be waiting on someone there.

It might be too easy to claim that this is a Mexican (or Latin) problem.

Last year, when I was in Monterrey, I was surprised to see how they do business there (in a positive way). Guadalajara and Mexico CIty are better too. Therefore, I hate living in a small town, but I guess that I am stuck here (because I love you all).

I try not to get angry about it and when I order something here in Chapala, and it does not arrive...... with a smile on my face (not always), I will tell them that I will go and get it in Guadalajara (which means that I sometimes would need a truck to bring stuff here).

I am sure that once in a while, everybody will get upset about this. Yes, we are all human (with a few exceptions) and No, you and I are not going to change. See how patient one will be, when you get a few of the mañanas for a plumber and you are without water,..... no shower, no toilet, no washing dishes ....and you are Mrs Stinky, with the bad,wild hairday, for a whole week.

And you could actually turn all this into your benefit. If somebody aks your for a favor, or money.... you say "si si si ", "al rato, mañana, con otra ocasion,"..... They will get the joke and will not feel hurt.

If a street vendor wants to sell me something I don't want, I never say no and take away people's hope, but always use "con otra ocasion". You will make the vendor feel better than by simply saying no.

The Latin, indirect culture and body language is a very interesting one.

Always have to smile when newly arrivals here (I hate the word newbie) love Mexico because of the slow pace of life...., so they say. I can' t help thinking "wait until you are on the receiving end of this slow pace of life". I will measure your wisdom than, by your actual reaction.

And than again, some people can take all this better with the right medication too (or a few Tequilas).... with some good chocolate, of course. Screaming might help as well. I do plead against the use of any kind of violence.

Hasta mañana,

Rony

"Mexico is here to teach us patience."

:)

(Unless there's no water in the house...)

Mexico will need the patience to teach US patience.

You probably will find your tiles on Ninos Heroes in Guadalaja between 16 de Septiembre and the monument at Lopez Mateos if this lady does not call you. I hope you did not leave a deposit.. Leave her a message that you are cancelling your order

and go and look. It is a pain and uncomfortable as it is pretty warm walking around in Guadalajara so you can do that or wait to hear from the woman.

This too will pass and you will be very happy when your kitchen is finished.

Good luck, just do not get upset about it it will not help.

The lady called me at 7:40 pm to say she has one of the 2 types of glass tiles I ordered. She said the other tiles will be a few more days. I said ok I'll get the tiles you have tomorrow and I'll find a replacement tile somewhere else, that I'm not waiting. She said ok, that she'd be at the store tomorrow. I said I wasn't happy that she didn't have them today as promised and that I tried calling her several times and got no answer. No reply from her on that.

5 minutes later, my cell rings again. I told hubby if it's her, I'm not talking to her. It was her. He said I was busy, which I was (trying to make supper in makeshift kitchen). She said the guy will bring her the tiles tomorrow and we can pick them up in the afternoon. Now I'm perplexed. Do I let her win? And how come 5 minutes earlier it would be a few days or more. She obviously didn't wanna lose the commission on the most expensive tiles.

I just want my kitchen back.

I've been without water for 10 days and I was Mrs. Stinky and Mrs. Grouch as well. That's worse than a chaotic kitchen. I called my plumber to see if he knew a solution and because my plumber is a great man, he called the pipa guy who delivered the water on Good Friday. I didn't know then that you could have water delivered via truck.

What I do need to learn is who I can depend on and who I can't. It's like that anywhere in the world.

Back in Canada, I asked a plumber numerous times to give me a quote on work that needed done; he promised me and promised me and ended up never showing. I eventually wised up and found a plumber I could rely on and stuck with him.

I wonder at what point the "experts", those wonderful "writers" who fill the local paper and monthly magazines with their pontifications , really know the fine line between "their culture" and "care less"

Judy King recently referred to the mannerisms, culture thingy, when in a restaurant and you have trouble getting your bill.Do not worry it is the culture!!! Rubbish.

Two weeks ago, I was with a group of six in one of the better eateries. Only 2 other tables occupied and six waiters.

We repeatedly ask for our bills and numerous times requested a "doggy bag".

How truly amazing that you are not able to get the attention of 1 waiter , whilst all six waiters congregate by the bar 9 feet away.

The medical services, I would suggest, have learn t to respond to the whims and morays of the Gringo community, why not the "other" service industry.

Kudos to those Mexicans who have gone north to earn a better living..I bet they present your bill when asked and turn up for work at 8am. I guess that is when necessity and need takes over from ''culture"

As a latter thought, is that the reason at Lakeside we have many successful Gringos in the real estate and building related trades

The lady called me at 7:40 pm to say she has one of the 2 types of glass tiles I ordered. She said the other tiles will be a few more days. I said ok I'll get the tiles you have tomorrow and I'll find a replacement tile somewhere else, that I'm not waiting. She said ok, that she'd be at the store tomorrow. I said I wasn't happy that she didn't have them today as promised and that I tried calling her several times and got no answer. No reply from her on that.

5 minutes later, my cell rings again. I told hubby if it's her, I'm not talking to her. It was her. He said I was busy, which I was (trying to make supper in makeshift kitchen). She said the guy will bring her the tiles tomorrow and we can pick them up in the afternoon. Now I'm perplexed. Do I let her win? And how come 5 minutes earlier it would be a few days or more. She obviously didn't wanna lose the commission on the most expensive tiles.

I just want my kitchen back.

I've been without water for 10 days and I was Mrs. Stinky and Mrs. Grouch as well. That's worse than a chaotic kitchen. I called my plumber to see if he knew a solution and because my plumber is a great man, he called the pipa guy who delivered the water on Good Friday. I didn't know then that you could have water delivered via truck.

What I do need to learn is who I can depend on and who I can't. It's like that anywhere in the world.

Back in Canada, I asked a plumber numerous times to give me a quote on work that needed done; he promised me and promised me and ended up never showing. I eventually wised up and found a plumber I could rely on and stuck with him.

You're learning. Give it a few years and you will have a good set of numbers to call........

It is not a question of winning it is a question of getting your kitchen finished so buy the tiles finish the kitchen and next time you need something go to Guadalajara and buy from a place that does not have

to order ...

Make sure the pipa ´s water comes from a well and not from the lake.

I wonder at what point the "experts", those wonderful "writers" who fill the local paper and monthly magazines with their pontifications , really know the fine line between "their culture" and "care less"

Judy King recently referred to the mannerisms, culture thingy, when in a restaurant and you have trouble getting your bill.Do not worry it is the culture!!! Rubbish.

Two weeks ago, I was with a group of six in one of the better eateries. Only 2 other tables occupied and six waiters.

How truly amazing that you are not able to get the attention of 1 waiter , whilst all six waiters congregate by the bar 9 feet away.

The medical services, I would suggest, have learn t to respond to the whims and morays of the Gringo community, why not the "other" service industry.

Kudos to those Mexicans who have gone north to earn a better living..I bet they present your bill when asked and turn up for work at 8am. I guess that is when necessity and need takes over from ''culture"

As a latter thought, is that the reason at Lakeside we have many successful Gringos in the real estate and building related trades

I always tip better than average. You will be surprised what that will get you.

I also find that when I speak to the waiters in friendly street Spanish, not school Spanish, that I get all kinds of attention and my order filled or bill delivered more rapidly, especially if I kid about being cheap. But you have to do it showing respect and with a friendly smile

We can be too quick to judge. One time when promised, turned out the woman was in the hospital with her daughter. Family emergencies always take precedent and rightly so. If they work extra hard to find what you need and get it to you with much effort, why would we question who wins? Restaraunts I have learned to ask for my bill when they bring the meal. Figure 30 minutes. Yes, over the years we know who to count on, as well as who to ask for advise about who to get. And sometimes we learn a valuable lesson and shop elsewhere.

You are cherry-picking your targets. That's too easy.

Archived