Chapala.com Webboard

Baby boomers where are

Guest PalapaGirl

No one has mentioned the increase in the cost of gasoline and airline ticket prices. When we first came to Mexico, it was relatively inexpensive to run back and forth for family events or emergencies. Now it's nearly impossible to find a reasonable fare. I don't think it's one thing that is keeping people from coming, but a number of things. And, I have friends who visit and feel that Mexico has lost some of its charm factor, especially in areas like Lake Chapala, where the locals cater to the foreigners.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone is trying to say that it is not financially beneficial to live here versus NOB, then I'd like to take issue with that because I track our expenses down here and when I compare it to similar expenses NOB and the difference is about 20% savings here versus there.

If anyone is trying to say that it is not financially beneficial to live here versus NOB, then I'd like to take issue with that because I track our expenses down here and when I compare it to similar expenses NOB and the difference is about 20% savings here versus there.

Where is there? (I know, NOB, but where NOB?)

That sounds about right for us as well and when you roll in the benefits of living in this incredible climate, it is a no brainer for us.

Bear in mind that this is a pretty expensive place to live by Mexican standards. Not as pricey as San Miguel but overall pretty expensive. Just compare housing costs on the other side of the lake versus here, about a hundred percent difference.

Heck, there's a drastic difference just between Chapala and Ajijic.

My wife's family lives in Arlington, a Dallas/Fort Worth suburb. A really nice 3-4 BR house can be bought there for $200K. They spend a lot of money for cooling and heating, the property tax on their $200K house is about $2600 per year with the retired/elderly discount. Things bought there are much cheaper than here, in fact we always go shopping there and load the car up for the trip home. The savings come close to paying for one way of the trip.

Chain restaurants are not much more there than here if you don't order alcoholic beverages. If you do, they get you good on those.

The climate? Absolutely awful compared to here. Hot as hell in the summer, snow and ice in the winter, and drastically changing all the time. You sure don't see people outside there or walking like you do here. I like to walk distances there to help keep fit and I feel like some kind of alien on the empty streets.

Where my brother lives in Phoenix, it is even cheaper but they have a state income tax. He spends a ton of money driving, driving, driving to get to someplace and another ton on air conditioning.

I just recalled that some TX and NM insurance will cover vehicles, to some extent, in Mexico, BUT only in the Zona Frontera or free zones of some of Baja and Sonora.

How will the OP, and the rental agency, handle the insurance requirement and the Importada Temporal for the interior of Mexico? What is your/their responsibility in the event of a breakdown, not repairable in Mexico, regarding the requirement that the vehicle be removed from Mexico?

• 1 year later...

Did you ever find a place that would allow all of your critters ?

We have 4 cats and a small dog and we are having a brutal time trying to find anyone who would rent to use with our critters.

Hoping to find a landlord who understands the situation.

Cats are usually more of a concern than dogs due to their tendency to spray and mark their new territory or home. Extremely difficult to remove that smell and usually requires a serious, heavy duty, washing, stain removal, sealer and repainting of area and replacement of fabric or carpet that was stained.  I understand their concern. Have you offered to pay a healthy pet deposit, in addition to normal rent deposit for any damages caused by your five pets?  That might help you. Maybe.  Good luck.

I have lived in five different homes in Chapala and San Antonio Tlaycapan. I started off down here with one dog and one cat. Last time I moved it was with one dog and two cats. Now I have acquired a third cat and another dog. (Yes, I am at my limit.) 

I think if you are working through rental companies and property managers it is more difficult. I have always dealt directly with the property owner. I meet them and tour the property, establish a rapport before bringing up the pet question. I twice offered to bring the dog for the owner to meet and was told it was not necessary. I have never been asked for an additional pet deposit. If you have references from previous owners that helps. Being referred to the owner by mutual friends also helps. That was true for me twice. In fact, in those cases, they were the people vacating the house I was moving into. I guess I have been very fortunate.

This thread started 2 years ago and was about a flood of retirees coming here and boosting the real estate market.  If it happened, I haven't seen it.  

I saw some data that only 2% of Americans live outside the US on a permanent basis.  That is about 6.6 million.  Mexico said a few years ago that they had issued the 1 millionth visa (outside the 6 month tourist visa).  

I was at Salvadors this morning, watching people coming and going to the market.  I knew (or had at least seen before) most of the people I saw.  

My barber told me that the Snowbird season had been good but he was expecting business to drop off shortly.

If you live in the US on a social security check, there's lots of programs that you can get (housing, food stamps, utility help, medicade etc) which will more than offset the cost of living here.  I looked at the numbers a few years ago and I could get over $40,000 in help, especially if I was willing to move to Maine (the most welfare in the US).

What I do see is more and more middle class Mexicans coming here to get out of Guad.  The schools are better (or safer) and they are moving here and working in Guad.  

Archived