Chapala.com Webboard

Dial-up internet? Prodigy?

Hello - we can't get Infinitum where we are. Trust me, we've tried. Not enough switching capability.

We used HughesNet Satellite internet for 2 years, then switched to SpiderWeb wireless internet, which was OK for a while but the thru put has degenerated.

We had a Telmex phone line for a while but never used it so disconnected.

Telmex ran new, thicker cables by our house a few months ago.

Now I'm wondering - maybe we should get our Telmex service re-connected and try using dial-up internet? It's been a decade or more since I used dial-up....

Anybody have experience with using dial-up internet services via Telmex? Prodigy or something else? Can you do VOIP (MagicJack) or stream videos that way?

The first provider lakeside was www.laguna.com.mx I remember being very surprised to learn that maybe two years ago that he still had a handful of dialup clients who hadn't upgraded to fixed Wi-Fi. I know their wireless does not reach east of Chapala, and sadly there is a strong chance that they no longer have dialup. But you might want to check it out.

Yes, you can always use dialup with TelMex as long as your phone is working. However, it does require a different setup than Infinitum, so if you need it take advantage of their help when they offer.

Archived