Chapala.com Webboard

what bank are u using now instead of BOfA or BnmxUSA

Please, share your suggestions...:) Thnx.

Got a Schwab account set up and have been using it for past 6 months.

Can use at any ATM, fees refunded at the end of every month.

Works great, no problems, good for anywhere in the world.

Used it in Australia & New Zealand without a hitch.

B of A works great even with balances less than $20K. The only catch is, in order to not pay the 3% or so exchange rate fee, you must link say your Merrill Lynch IRA or retirement account to your bank account.

If you do not happen to have a retirement account or a large enough balance at Merrill Lynch linked to the bank account, your account isn't canceled but you end up paying about a 3% exchange rate fee

I'll second the Schwab Bank recommendation. I've an Investor Checking acct. with a Debit card,

I get better exchange rates using any ATM than any local Bank, and as noted the surcharges/ATM fees are refunded monthly.

If you have been cancelled as of June 30 as we were...have no USA address that you can prove etc. you may find USAA.com and the information there helpful. It is a Federal savings bank with the branch we used located in San Antonio. We did have four years of military service but not sure that is needed to use the banking system. They serve military members worldwide, so are used to International service etc. We have been given membership numbers, account numbers and have wire transferred to open a checking and savings account. We can have our monthly mandatory distributions sent there.

Each of us has a different situation of course, but we tried to open accounts with many well known banks in the USA and without a US address it was not possible. Someone on this board recommended this bank and it has worked for us and I thank them. This has been a very sudden and difficult action by Banamex USA after 18 years of invaluable service.

I hope this will help someone else who is without the needed address and does not want to use a P.O. Box..as suite # etc. and then have that discovered and more problems due to that.

Kobi

Capital360 savings and checking. This is a virtual bank with no brick and mortar offices.

But you do need a valid US address and a brick and mortar bank to link your CapOne360 account to, so not an option for those who have no US address or other bank to use. A Citibank debit card can be used at Banamex ATM's without fees and you'd likely still have to provide a US address but no other bank to open an account. So maybe that one is an option if the expat can drum up a relative or friend's home address to use.

If you have been cancelled as of June 30 as we were...have no USA address that you can prove etc. you may find USAA.com and the information there helpful. It is a Federal savings bank with the branch we used located in San Antonio. We did have four years of military service but not sure that is needed to use the banking system. They serve military members worldwide, so are used to International service etc. We have been given membership numbers, account numbers and have wire transferred to open a checking and savings account. We can have our monthly mandatory distributions sent there.

Each of us has a different situation of course, but we tried to open accounts with many well known banks in the USA and without a US address it was not possible. Someone on this board recommended this bank and it has worked for us and I thank them. This has been a very sudden and difficult action by Banamex USA after 18 years of invaluable service.

I hope this will help someone else who is without the needed address and does not want to use a P.O. Box..as suite # etc. and then have that discovered and more problems due to that.

Kobi

I second all that Kobi says here--in fact, I was the one who suggested USAA to Kobi and we've exchanged notes as we made progress in getting our accounts opened.

Proving a US address was not a problem. I told the rep that we lived "part of the time" with my brother and family in Arizona, but most of the time here in Mexico. This was acceptable.

My husband had to fax some ID to USAA including a copy of his discharge papers, SSA card, a photo ID for which we used his passport. But, as Kobi says, proof of military service may not be required to open an account.

One alert: It matters greatly which rep you get on the phone each time you call to ask a question or to confirm something. If you get put off by a rep's information, don't get what they're talking about--and there were some confusing times as we went along--try another call. Two reps we talked to were excellent and I could tell when we were making progress.

The tel # we started with is: 210 531 8722

Lexy

Archived