Chapala.com Webboard

Floor Tile

My floor tiles are in really good shape and I can live with them. It's just the grout looks like it's concrete or something. Really ugly and doesn't match the tiles. Can I have someone grout over this in a matching colour? I'm just not sure if this stuff has to be chipped out first or if a layer of grout will bind to this concrete looking stuff or am I asking for trouble. It's throughout the house, so am looking for the path of least resistance. Thanks.

There is a god productin the States that you can use to change the color and it prety durable whe the grout line is thin but I do not know how durable if the grout is very wide. I did it in a bathroom and it worked well but I nver found that product here.Not even in Monterrey where they have a plant.

I would not grout over I do notthink it is worth the time and expense and since you need to chip you will have chipped tiles and then you need to replace those...and so on..

Path of least resistance , leave it alone put area rugs and furniture and forget about it.

I have never noticed tile with grout of a matching color, if that is even possible. Grout is available in colors, but is usually chosen as a contrasting color to the ceramic tiles and grouted 1/4 to 3/8 inch wide. Ours are grey grout, which would look something like concrete, but is coarser. I would never consider trying to grind it all out just to change the color; I would move first.

Matching the color of the grout to the color of the tile negates the look of tile. You might as well have a painted floor. A nice tile job always has contrasting grout. That said, the OP may just have an ugly grout job, but as others have said, huge job to change it, learn to live with it, or bust it all out and re-do.

Archived