Chapala.com Webboard

US marine held in Mexican jail Tijuana

rogerm

So is this guy a Marine?

Or is he a guy that was once in the Marines?

There is a difference!!!!

Maybe not to the foxies none of whom have served in any service ever....

This guy was a private american citizen- not an acitive service member as some here woul have you close you eyes and your mind and believe.

This guy drove guns across the border and got caught.

This "illegal" needs to prove his innocence his innocence since he showed up with guns in Mexico.

He is NOT a Marine

He was a Marine at one time

He may be a gun runner for some Texas gun store

Prove he isnt

He's in Mexico where you can be guilty until you prove you are innocent.

What BS the foxies stir up

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The present, past or reserve status Marine issue is a true Red Herring and is clouding the basic issue.

Let's try the Logic alert approach:

a man or woman is relocating from Florida to San Diego with all his/her possessions, including a sizable amount of firearms and ammunition. According to the website distance calculator, San Diego is 20 miles from Tijuana.

How, exactly, does he or she "accidentally" wind up at the Tijuana border crossing? Drunk, high, crazy......or lying his/her head off?

Drunk, high, crazy......or lying his/her head off?

How about all of the above,not to mention just plain stupid.

His girlfriend is from Tijuana,he already had a hotel room there the day he was arrested,he had crossed that border numerous times...

BTW,Lee Harvey Oswald and Charles Whitman were both former marines...

wether is was lost or not is irrelevant to Mexico as well, he was in their territory with guns end of

subject.

The factt that American have the right to carry weapons in not Mexico´s problem. Transport of firearm without a permit in Mexico and amunitions is a big no no. All we hear are reasons why he endd up but that is all totally irrelevant o Mexico-

By the way what is the law in the US about crossing State lines with guns? It is illegal to cross with

liquor so I would think that firearms would at least have to have some type of a permit to move from one place or another or did their lobby pay off everyone to forget it.

A couple excerpts from a Guadalajara-based English-language internet rag called, oddly enough, MexicoGulfReporter.com.

Mexico's comments on case of jailed U.S. Marine Andrew Paul Tahmooressi will not encourage his supporters

In its first public comments on the case, the Procuraduría's analysis will not comfort Tahmooressi or his advocates north of the border. "Lack of understanding of the law, or mistakes, misapprehensions or misunderstandings of the consequences of violating the federal firearms statute will not excuse or diminish responsibility for doing so," a spokesman tersely noted Friday.

(then later)

But in remarks clearly intended for U.S. consumption, the Procuraduría emphasized that Tahmooressi's prosecution will move forward, and will not be short circuited by pressure from Washington.

"There are many signs alerting travelers to the approaching Mexican border, together with warnings about bringing weapons into the country," officials said. "At the border, more than any other location, we will strictly monitor arrivals and enforce our laws."

Here's the link:

http://www.mexicogulfreporter.com/2014/06/mexicos-comments-on-case-of-jailed-us.html

How about all of the above,not to mention just plain stupid.His girlfriend is from Tijuana,he already had a hotel room there the day he was arrested,he had crossed that border numerous times...BTW,Lee Harvey Oswald and Charles Whitman were both former marines...

How about all of the above,not to mention just plain stupid.His girlfriend is from Tijuana,he already had a hotel room there the day he was arrested,he had crossed that border numerous times...BTW,Lee Harvey Oswald and Charles Whitman were both former marines...

It's obvious that you never served a day. So don't think you have a lot of experience in this area?

The point is not whether this man committed a crime, he admitted he did. The point is how he is being treated while in jail.

Don't know how many times I have read on this blog about someone being stop by a transito, being pissed because you were rip off for 20 pesos. How would you like being locked up in the Chapala jail for 2 months with no way to make bail?

It's obvious that you never served a day. So don't think you have a lot of experience in this area?

What area?

As a matter of fact I do have a lot of experience at that particular border crossing,back in the seventies,when it was fairly easy to obtain hunting and temporary gun permits my uncle used to take me pheasant hunting in Baja.

I have the utmost respect for the men and women in the military,but having served does not get you a get out of jail pass,especially not in a foreign country.

I just hope this leads to jailing and charging the soldiers who cross to the border to the north with full battle kit. Why shouldn't they be treated exactly the same as this US marine? Is it because they made honest mistake as the government of Mexico has maintained repeatedly?

The point is not whether this man committed a crime, he admitted he did. The point is how he is being treated while in jail.

Probably no worse than if he were being held in the Maricopa Arizona county jail.

Don't know how many times I have read on this blog about someone being stop by a transito, being pissed because you were rip off for 20 pesos. How would you like being locked up in the Chapala jail for 2 months with no way to make bail?

And how do we know the facts of "how he is being treated while in jail" ?

Tahmooressi has played on people's emotions from the very start.

Tahmooressi told 6 separate big lies to try to weasel out of being charged.

Tahmooressi and his family have told big lies to the media.

After telling lie after lie after lie, Tahmooressi has very low credibility.

Tahmooressi actions show he has tried to work the systems with repeated lying, which makes him a manipulator.

Official reports say he intentionally injured himself to get access to the infirmary (to try to escape).

As a proven manipulator, are Tahmooressi's current claims of "being mistreated" different than his previous repeated false claims?

Can we really trust any claims Tahmooressi now makes?

BigD's point would make sense if he could verify that Tahmooressi is actually being mistreated. .

Proof of mistreatment ?

Can you please cite your sources for constant lying and manipulation. The only "lies" I have seen reported are from his first Mexican attorney that told him to lie about ever being in Mexico before. Tahmooressi fired him because of it.

Can you please site your sources for constant lying and manipulation. The only "lies" I have seen reported are from his first Mexican attorney that told him to lie about ever being in Mexico before. Tahmooressi fired him because of it.

http://www.sandiegored.com/noticias/52955/Debunking-Media-s-Coverage-of-Andrew-Tahmooressi/

Quote from article:

"Congressmen Duncan Hunter and Scott Peters claim that regardless of Tahmooressi’s prior visits [to TJ, 6 times] he did not have mastery of driving around the border area and that it was an honest mistake.

Many people familiar with the border area have a hard time swallowing this excuse."

I have lived in San Diego and am convinced this is BS, also.

Several reporters from media and print made the trip to see what happened. At the time, there was construction in the area and the "return to USA" sign was very small and sitting on the ground. Very hard to see in daylight let alone night. A couple of the reporters missed the sign and went into Mexico and the others said it was very hard to see being small and on the ground.

Several reporters from media and print made the trip to see what happened. At the time, there was construction in the area and the "return to USA" sign was very small and sitting on the ground. Very hard to see in daylight let alone night. A couple of the reporters missed the sign and went into Mexico and the others said it was very hard to see being small and on the ground.

Several reporters have made the trip and where are these photos of the downed sign, but the up sign photos are published? Myself and my wife made the trip Feb. 2nd 2014 at 10:30 PM and the construction is completely finished , well lite all the way except one small área on top of the 1/4 mile stretch after the barricades in the lines entering. All the signs are up and well lite as you would expect in San Diego on a federal Interstate highway, no goofing off ever in California by Caltrans, and why do you think you see photos of the more than 1 warning sign in many news atricles. Who do you want to believe on this one?

Here is a recent news article that states he has been visited more than 50 times by supportive Americans, including a SD Unión Tribune newpaper reporter and the 9 times by the US Consulate head in TJ in another article , his lawyer and family seeing that he has support and not bruised up except more than 2 months ago when trying to escape.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/world/2014/06/06/marine-arrested-mexico-prison/10099007/

CNN and Fox had pictures of the downed sign. A few days after the incident, the large sign was put back up. Maybe when you went thru in Feb, the sign had not been taken down yet. Who knows.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/raymondyue/sets/72157623066511044/detail/?page=86

There are many overhead freeway signs the last 2.8 miles before the border, Here they are and I doubt those signs can come down but is 3 signs located on a street called Avenida de Las Americas now called Camino de la Plaza that probably could not come down easily and another sign in the landscaping entering onto the Interstate 5 South a meter into the entrance that could come down but is right on the border and hard to not know you are heading south at that point. Most people would not know of this way to enter into the lanes of traffic stopped at the barricades entering Mexico but he might have.

Admittedly if you couldn´t understand you were on the west side of Interstate 5 and entered that entrance and would be going south and the 2 signs in one direction or 2 in the other direction were down [ this includes the large overhead sign on Camino de la Plaza stating Mexico with an arrow] you could get into the barricades and not know you could stop, back up and turn around on that entrance and cross the yellow line and reverse your direction at the last exit [ I have seen many vehicles doing this] and cross the bridge to the east side of the freeway and go to the first entrance going north on Interstate 5. Also if you were not savy to simply doing this you could slowly get over the the right lane on the southbound freeway and go through the 24 hour manned CBP turn around on the Interstate 5 and they will open the gate for you so you do not get further into the 1/4 mile stretch of new 6 barricaded lanes entering the border check point in Mexico. 4 signs in all stating Mexico with 3 of then with arrows and all with "ONLY" yellow warning bars underneath.

BigD, I have read through this thread. Every one of your posts is filled with your opinions, conjectures and judgements. You were not there, are not on site now and have no more access to facts than anyone else. You say others are blowing smoke. I do not know how you determined that when the smoke you are blowing is still hanging in the air.

BigD, I have read through this thread. Every one of your posts is filled with your opinions, conjectures and judgements. You were not there, are not on site now and have no more access to facts than anyone else. You say others are blowing smoke. I do not know how you determined that when the smoke you are blowing is still hanging in the air.

Good points, Xena. I don't think most of the people supporting this fella in jail would given a dang if he hadn't been a Marine. Lots of emoting, flag waving and the suchlike without much In the way of verifiable facts. Lots of smoke.

Snooyco where is your creditabilty? Most of what you claim as facts are merely your opinion or something you read in the foreign press. Let it rest?

The San Diego Union Tribune interviewed Tahmooressi. Here is their published report based on Tahmooressi's own words:

"Tahmooressi is being held in a Tijuana prison on federal weapons charges — all the result, he said, of missing the last exit on Interstate 5 and accidentally crossing the border with three firearms.

UTI1771002_t180.JPG?6ec45598a0efd272cf6d

Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi --- is being held at Tijuana's La Mesa Penitentiary. The 25 year old Marine Corps combat veteran is being held on weapons charges. Alejandro Tamayo

I never meant to be in Mexico,” Tahmooressi said in an interview Saturday afternoon at the La Mesa State Penitentiary. “I had no bad intentions, I had no intentions of smuggling my weapons, I had no intentions of selling them or anything of the sort.”

"On Saturday, he remained under guard at the prison infirmary after attempting an escape and later cutting his throat with a piece of broken light bulb."

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/may/03/tijuana-marine-andrew-tahmooressi-mexico-weapons/

An established US local San Diego newspaper (published since 1851) reports these facts, yet BigD insists:

"Most of what you claim as facts are merely your opinion or something you read in the foreign press."

Another US media outlet, Fox News, reports:

"Tahmooressi, 25, claims he was arrested by Mexican police on March 31 after crossing the border accidentally on his way to dinner with some friends."

So, which story that Tahmooressi has told to the US media is the truth?

Is his version where he is going to meet friends for dinner in Mexico true?

Is his version where “I never meant to be in Mexico,” true?

Is Tahmooressi's version that he had never been in Mexico before, true?

Or are the computerized border records showing he had been to Tijuana 6 previous times true?

Really, the facts we have point to Tahmooressi being a very very troubled young man, who lied to either the Mexican police or lied to the US media, or some of both.

Tahmooressi's own words admit that he broke Mexican laws, and that he also committed felonies in the USA, driving around with the assault rifle, shot gun, the.45, extra clips, and hundreds of rounds of ammo.

Tahmooresssi's attempts to harm himself, by breaking a light bulb and cutting his own neck are simultaneously sad and pitiful.

Tahmooressi is a very troubled individual, committing multiple serious crimes, who needs help.

Archived