Chapala.com Webboard

US marine held in Mexican jail Tijuana

rogerm

Do you really think you will get a response when you call 911 from outside the USA

He did get a response but they couldn't help him being in Mexico. He reported to the 911 operator that he had crossed by mistake and needed help.-- And Gringal, this has nothing to do with his being a marine or flag waving, etc. It has to do with an American citizen who happens to be in the military, who, I believe, crossed the border by mistake and his horrible treatment for the last two months. Several US border patrol guards where interviewed who stated that frequently Mexicans, including Mexican military with weapons have crossed into the US by mistake and are politely turned around and set back. They are not taken to jail and handcuffed to an iron bed and left to rot for months. And if you think my name, Sailor, has anything to do with the military, you are wrong. Sailor is our dog's name.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sailor: I didn't think you were a sailor and nothing I've said is directed at you, personally. I have only observed a lot of the emotional responses this situation has brought on, including some flag waving from people who indicate that only others who have done military service know anything about the situation. That's way off from a reasonable attitude. This thread has included direct insults from one poster at another, such as suggesting that anyone who has chosen to live in Mexico must love injustice. Please. Why is it so difficult for some people to keep their cool?

Since the Tijuana crossing is 20 miles from San Diego, I simply don't find it believable that this man crossed the border "by mistake" if he was sober, in his right mind and didn't intend to go to Tijuana. I also can't believe most of the stories being told on either side of the issue. There are differing reports on how he has been treated. "handcuffed to a bed and left to rot" is off the charts. Having attempted to escape, he no doubt would be in restraints. "Left to rot" is another matter. I am still waiting to hear a believable version of what happened. I tend to agree with the poster who thinks this man has the kind of problems that need help, way beyond releasing him from jail and sending him and his cache of lethal weapons back into civilian society at this point.

I hope all this hasn't turned into a "don't confuse me with facts; my mind is made up" kind of argument rather than a search for the truth.

He did get a response but they couldn't help him being in Mexico. He reported to the 911 operator that he had crossed by mistake and needed help.-- And Gringal, this has nothing to do with his being a marine or flag waving, etc. It has to do with an American citizen who happens to be in the military, who, I believe, crossed the border by mistake and his horrible treatment for the last two months. Several US border patrol guards where interviewed who stated that frequently Mexicans, including Mexican military with weapons have crossed into the US by mistake and are politely turned around and set back. They are not taken to jail and handcuffed to an iron bed and left to rot for months. And if you think my name, Sailor, has anything to do with the military, you are wrong. Sailor is our dog's name.

Facts about arrests from crossing the border unintentionally with illegal guns and whether Tahmooressi was treated differently as Sailor claims:

The US Government publicly explains:

"Don’t bring firearms or ammunition across the border into Mexico.

You may become one of dozens of U.S. Citizens who are arrested each month for unintentionally violating Mexico’s strict weapons laws."

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/warning.html

So, Tahmooressi has been treated like other 1,000's of Americans unintentionally bringing illegal guns into Mexico each year, which makes the US conservative's strong responses appear to really be about "his being a marine or flag waving, etc" - because the 100,000 people who have signed the NRA/Tea Partier supporter petition have been silent about the other 100's of Americans arrested each year for unintentionally violating Mexico's strict weapons laws.

The part about being supposedly "handcuffed to an iron bed and left to rot for months" does not fit the reality of being in 4 point restraints for 26 days. This is standard practice for people in the USA who harm themselves. Poor Tahmooressi slashed his own neck with a shard of broken glass - which means he needed to be protected from himself.

Factual context for Tahmooressi being in 4 point restraints for 26 days after slashing his own neck - versus the claim of "handcuffed to an iron bed and left to rot for months"). 4 point restraints are commonly used across the civilized world to prevent people with severe physical or mental disorders from harming themselves or others. The FDA receives thousands of reports annually of broken bones, burns and other injuries related to improper use of restraints , and fortunately, Tahmooressi has none of the problems associated with improper use of medical restraints. http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/safety/alertsandnotices/publichealthnotifications/ucm242670.htm

Since Tahmooressi has not hurt himself again, and since Tahmooressi has no broken bones, burns, nor injuries related to being restrained, facts show that the Mexican authorities actions worked to protect Tahmooressi from himself.

Facts about arrests from crossing the border unintentionally with illegal guns and whether Tahmooressi was treated differently as Sailor claims:

The US Government publicly explains:

"Don’t bring firearms or ammunition across the border into Mexico.

You may become one of dozens of U.S. Citizens who are arrested each month for unintentionally violating Mexico’s strict weapons laws."

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/warning.html

Where did I say he was being treated any differently? And if it sounded like I meant he was handcuffed for months, that is not what I meant. I say rotting in jail because in over the two months he has been there, he has had only one and maybe two court appearances and they only lasted minutes and it could take months before a judge even looks at this case. And you would have to bring in politics which has nothing to do with this. According to you, only conservatives are upset about this. This case has been on nationwide news for months is why everyone is talking about it. All the other in jail in Mexico are hardly ever mentioned and no one knows about them.-- God forbid, if one of you make a mistake and land in a Mexican jail as many have for no other reason than a minor traffic accident.

So, Tahmooressi has been treated like other 1,000's of Americans unintentionally bringing illegal guns into Mexico each year, which makes the US conservative's strong responses appear to really be about "his being a marine or flag waving, etc" - because the 100,000 people who have signed the NRA/Tea Partier supporter petition have been silent about the other 100's of Americans arrested each year for unintentionally violating Mexico's strict weapons laws.

The part about being supposedly "handcuffed to an iron bed and left to rot for months" does not fit the reality of being in 4 point restraints for 26 days. This is standard practice for people in the USA who harm themselves. Poor Tahmooressi slashed his own neck with a shard of broken glass - which means he needed to be protected from himself.

Factual context for Tahmooressi being in 4 point restraints for 26 days after slashing his own neck - versus the claim of "handcuffed to an iron bed and left to rot for months"). 4 point restraints are commonly used across the civilized world to prevent people with severe physical or mental disorders from harming themselves or others. The FDA receives thousands of reports annually of broken bones, burns and other injuries related to improper use of restraints , and fortunately, Tahmooressi has none of the problems associated with improper use of medical restraints. http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/safety/alertsandnotices/publichealthnotifications/ucm242670.htm

Since Tahmooressi has not hurt himself again, and since Tahmooressi has no broken bones, burns, nor injuries related to being restrained, facts show that the Mexican authorities actions worked to protect Tahmooressi from himself.

Where did I say anything about his being treated differently? and I did not mean that he was handcuffed for the entire time he has been there. As to rotting in jail, in more than two months he has had one and maybe two court appearances that lasted minutes. It could be several more months until a judge hears the case. And what does this have to do with politics? According to you, only conservatives care about this guy. -- This story has been in the news nationwide where as the others were probably have never heard of.

Sailor: I didn't think you were a sailor and nothing I've said is directed at you, personally. I have only observed a lot of the emotional responses this situation has brought on, including some flag waving from people who indicate that only others who have done military service know anything about the situation. That's way off from a reasonable attitude. This thread has included direct insults from one poster at another, such as suggesting that anyone who has chosen to live in Mexico must love injustice. Please. Why is it so difficult for some people to keep their cool?

Since the Tijuana crossing is 20 miles from San Diego, I simply don't find it believable that this man crossed the border "by mistake" if he was sober, in his right mind and didn't intend to go to Tijuana. I also can't believe most of the stories being told on either side of the issue. There are differing reports on how he has been treated. "handcuffed to a bed and left to rot" is off the charts. Having attempted to escape, he no doubt would be in restraints. "Left to rot" is another matter. I am still waiting to hear a believable version of what happened. I tend to agree with the poster who thinks this man has the kind of problems that need help, way beyond releasing him from jail and sending him and his cache of lethal weapons back into civilian society at this point.

I hope all this hasn't turned into a "don't confuse me with facts; my mind is made up" kind of argument rather than a search for the truth.

Unless I am wrong, he was handcuffed from the get-go and not after the attempted escape.-- We are all entitled to our opinions, right or wrong. I hope this case is settled soon and we find out the truth.

Unless I am wrong, he was handcuffed from the get-go and not after the attempted escape.-- We are all entitled to our opinions, right or wrong. I hope this case is settled soon and we find out the truth.

Oh come on,he tried to scale the prison walls while he was handcuffed to the bed?? His fellow inmates already gave him the nickname ( hombre arana) Spiderman.

Frankly I'm glad this unstable character and his arsenal are off the street.

Oh come on,he tried to scale the prison walls while he was handcuffed to the bed?? His fellow inmates already gave him the nickname ( hombre arana) Spiderman.

Frankly I'm glad this unstable character and his arsenal are off the street.

his handcuffs were removed a few days after his arrest and then he tried to escape.

his handcuffs were removed a few days after his arrest and then he tried to escape.

So maybe he should be charged with attempted escape as well as the firearm charges.

... and then the restraints (handcuffs?) went back on when he slashed his own neck, and then attempted to escape, in the proposed timeline ?

It sounds like the restraints were a beneficial thing, as he has only recently stopped harming himself, stopped cutting his own throat, and he has stopped trying to escape.

The guy needs serious help, and does not appear to be prepared to be out in society.

Still, he deserves the rights afforded to the other 1,000 or so Americans who are also arrested every year for unintentionally bringing illegal arms into Mexico.

Fortunately, these other Americans are not telling elaborate lies to authorities, they are not mutilating themselves, cutting their own throats, nor trying to escape, which should improve their chances for returning to the USA sooner..

Wow, you are a couple of mean hombres! Good luck yo you. I am done.

Mean for stating facts and opinions that many have distorted the facts and made up stuff in the US and have harmed his chances by his own lies and actions, his mothers lies and distorted facts and others in the media.

Yesterday a TJ newspaper had an article stating the Justice Dept. there is going ahead with his prosecution and consider his proven lies to Mexican authoities as intentional and have sent US officials a disclosure of basic facts. Article states that there was more than adequate warning signage about illegal posession of firearms and ammo and you are about to enter Mexico. Facts: He told them he was an active duty Marine. He told them he entered by mistake. He told them it is his first time in Mexico. They gave evidence to the Judge of 3 other entrances he made into Mexico. He drove through a "Nothing to Declare" lane.

Maybe if some Americans were honest and respectful of Mexico and this situation and he told the truth from the start he would have a better chance of recieving a lesser sentence?

Now I´m not so sure all the BS will be ignored or thought of as unintentional.

If it were me in charge I would write on an 8x10 sheet of paper EXACTLEY what the facts are then include it with any paper work a person needed to visit Mexico with a special note at the bottom saying "are you sure you want to go"

We have now come full circle back to the OP. No new information. Just repeating the same things in the vain hope that someone will find this warning creditable and stay out of Mexico because BigD (who lives here) says it is too dangerous even to visit. :017:

If it were me in charge I would write on an 8x10 sheet of paper EXACTLEY what the facts are then include it with any paper work a person needed to visit Mexico with a special note at the bottom saying "are you sure you want to go"

Bigd,you stated earlier in this thread that you have lived in Mexico for over 20 years,in all that time have you ever been arrested or falsely imprisoned by Mexican authorities?

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens as more evidence is uncovered - explaining a hotel key found in Tahmooressi's pocket when he was arrested for bringing an assault rifle, shotgun, .45, and 454 rounds of ammo into Mexico.

Tahmooressi and his mom publicly claimed he was driving to San Ysidro to dinner with friends that night at 10:30 pm and that he had NEVER been in Mexico. Both Tahmooressi and his mom also claimed he "accidentally" drove into Tijuana, Mexico, because he "did not know the area" of the entrance to Tijuana, Mexico.

2 months later when both US and Mexican INM records show he had been to Tijuana at least 6 times, Tahmooressi and mom finally told that one truth, admitting that he had been to Mexico, but still insisting he "did not know the area" and "was lost" and claim that he "entered Mexico accidentally".

Various ad hoc US veterans groups announced this week that they are going to get Tahmooressi out of jail in Mexico...

Good luck with that.

Back to Tahmooressi's hotel key - from his pocket when he "accidentally" entered Mexico with the all the guns and ammo ....

Tahmooressi_Hotel_Nelson.jpg

Police finally connected the mysterious hotel key (a key that Tahmooressi refused to talk about) to this Tijuana hotel receipt - with Tahmooressi's signature, from that same day/date... The hotel is a semi-notorious hot-sheet love-motel that is in well-known sex-zone close to the US border and the border crossing that Tahmooressi claims he was totally unfamiliar with.

For context, here is where Tahmooressi was walking in Tijuana earlier that same day:

Nelson_Adelitas.jpg

This puts Tahmooressi walking - to and from the USA - and to and from the hotel - in the areas of the USA and Mexico that Tahmooressi and his mom previously claims he had never been in, and that Tahmooressi supposedly didn't know.

Let's hope BigD, Sailor, and Tahmooressi's other friends send their $$ to Tahmooressi's Legal Defense Fund, because the solid factual evidence proving that Tahmooressi has been lying on all counts and that Tahmooressi is guilty on all counts, has become very difficult to explain away.

"Also pointed out that the fact that Tahmooressi've experiences in Tijuana - as documented in the report of ZETA "Ex Marine staying in Tijuana hotel - not" relevant "to the case."

"Google Translation:

"Inés García Ramos June 16, 2014 at 18:09:44

Within hours, Mr. Benitez Fernando Alvarez, one of the defense lawyers Jorge Hank Rhon in 2011, will take office before the Sixth District Court, as defender Andrew Tahmooressi, former Marine who joined [entered] Tijuana with three guns and 457 cartridges, the night of March 31, 2014.

The lawyer was consulted by Jill Tahmooressi, young American mother, the June 12, 2014, when the woman came from Florida to visit her son in prison "The Mushroom II" [El Hongo prison in Tecate Baja].

Accompanied by Phil Dunn, director of the association Serving California - specializes in providing assistance to veterans - the American woman met with a number of lawyers to replace Lamberto mexicalense Esquer, who led the defense of Tahmooressi for less than two weeks .

Among them, Fernando Benitez, who along with his partner Abraham Hernández Serrano, Ezequiel Zamora Wells, was recorded in the federal courts as defense attorneys Tahmooressi the evening of June 13.

They were also discharged [allowed] in the State Prison System - along with four others - to visit the 25 year old, detained since April 3 in Tijuana penitentiary since 8 May in "The Mushroom".[El Hongo in Tecate]

While counsel has not yet received the case file Tahmooressi said ZETA that in court, "has not been vented [submitted?] any evidence."

So it will wait to review the record for an analysis of the part of new Customs - Mexican authorities who located the guns and cartridges in the car [pickup] in the U.S.[TJ] in "El Chaparral" - and preparatory statements and with the PGR your customer.

Fernando Benitez, along with five other lawyers represented the former mayor of Tijuana, Jorge Hank Rhon when he was arrested the morning of June 4, 2011, by soldiers, at his residence, where they were found 40 rifles, 48 handguns, 298 rounds of ammunition 9000, 70 chargers and gas Granada.

After being held in "El Hongo" accused of a crime by the PGR collection or possession of weapons, in addition to conspiracy, Hank Rhon release order received on 14 June of that year.

Tahmooressi faces federal charges for possession of a firearm for the exclusive use of the Army, Navy and Air Force, carrying a firearm without a license and possession of cartridges.

Although Fernando Benitez said the defense strategy will be defined until the end of this week, seen as a possibility to check if the arrest was made under law, but because their first lawyer did not appeal within three days allowed after was notified formal Tahmooressi prison, the action would have to be made until after he was sentence.

Meanwhile, counsel refers to the absence of fraud, shall be the primary argument for the freedom of his client. "There was no fraud because not foresee, viewed, accepted and wanted the result that his conduct made," he said.

Also pointed out that the fact that Tahmooressi've experiences in Tijuana - as documented in the report of ZETA "Ex Marine staying in Tijuana hotel - not" relevant "to the case.

So far, the Judicial Poder of the Federation still does not respond to the process [request] of reporting their findings to the defense, requested by the litigants. It is expected that in the next 48 hours, lawyers will get a report."

http://www.zetatijuana.com/noticias/generalez/6078/ex-marine-sera-representado-por-abogado-de-hank

All very true, but there are other factors in play in Tahmooressi's case. Tahmooressi and his previous lawyers had tried to make a case for innocence based on Tahmooressi's intent to not enter Mexico. To support that intent claim, Tahmooressi and lawyers claimed he had not been in Mexico, and they claimed he did not know the area.

The hotel key and receipt deflate and damage Tahmooressi's legal claims and attempts to use a supposed intent to not enter the USA as false. The key and receipt also further damage Tahmooressi's credibility, providing clear evidence of why the USA should not make efforts to cut a deal with the Mexican government to get Tahmooressi out of Mexican jail.

Snoweyco are you and AlanMexicali just so bored that you have nothing better to do than write rambling replies to what has already been reported in the News and all major television networks. I don't think you have convinced anyone one way or the other or pointed out any facts that were not known. Why don't you just give it a rest. God bless the USA and all its citizens where ever they may be.

Snoweyco are you and AlanMexicali just so bored that you have nothing better to do than write rambling replies to what has already been reported in the News and all major television networks. I don't think you have convinced anyone one way or the other or pointed out any facts that were not known. Why don't you just give it a rest. God bless the USA and all its citizens where ever they may be.

The main reason is to expose right wing news on the subject that does not usually mention he is a discharged EX Marine [ see the right wing Washington Times latest article to see this happening] and continues to publish that he was beaten, chained to a bed for no reason and crossed while lost, forgets to mention California Firearm laws were broken and he pulled a gun on his sister´s boyfriend at the time a short while ago in Florida, etc.

Why else would it be reported 10 different ways by 10 different agendas? If you can´t or won´t read anymore of this fine with me but don´t insult the intelligence of those who are interested in this develpoment by downplaying the diverse reporting going on about a topic that is of international interest.

Why report the latest facts on the Tahmooressi case?

The combination of the Tahmooressi case and how people react to it are interesting, and revealing.

Consider how this all started, with bold pronouncements of Tahmooressi's innocence, as a platform to say just how unjust and unsafe it must be to live in Mexico.

In light of the Marine veteran being held by Mexican authorities for mistakenly crossing the border with firearms in his possession,

I wonder how many people consider what it is like to visit or travel to a country that does not have respect for justice or liberty like you have in your home country. Where you are placed in jail even if someone accuses you of a minor offense. It is indeed something to think about before moving south.

Since these bold warnings about "what it is like to visit or travel to a country that does not have respect for justice or liberty" were based on Tahmooressi's claims of innocence and based on lurid tales of how Tahmooressi was being abused, it's been an interesting show to see how some people dig out the facts, while others cling to their beliefs and deny the facts.

People's reactions, from the start, have been like little litmus tests that show how we each view the world.

Some people want to see Mexico in a bad light, and they shinny out onto skinny branches to make their points.

Other people wait and see. They've been around news reporting long enough to know that it can take days for the facts to come out, and sometime weeks for the truth to be revealed, especially in emotionally charged situations like this one.

Do you jump onto the roller-coaster ride - believing every burp and blurb from Fox News or CNN, each flashed in bright jingoistic lights, or do you sit back, and wait for the investigators and professionals to do their work?

Are you a jump-onto-the-bandwagon of every hot-button-issue cause, or do you wait for the facts and grind out often-grim truths?

I personally am unable to see a news clip and have the gut hunches to be able to say: "That's a good guy. He's definitely telling the truth." I just don't have that kind of magic insight or mojo.

I keep reporting the facts, because it's the facts that tell the real story, versus jumping into a pot-boiler tele-drama.

Persistence and patience are admirable, but mostly lost in today's 30-second attention spans.

The Tahmooressi story has taken 2 months to strip away all the lies and lurid claims, and patience and persistence have been rewarded.

Now that the investigators and professionals have had the time, patience, and persistence to do a thorough job, did the Tahmooressi case show which country has reacted with justice?

At the beginning, we were challenged by BigD to answer

"what it is like to visit or travel to a country that does not have respect for justice or liberty"

Patience has revealed enough facts to show that Mexico has acted with justice and integrity in the Tahmooressi case.

Regarding liberty, the evidence is showing that Tahmooressi's choices surrendered his right to liberty and freedom to travel in Mexico.

Regarding the chance for justice: Would any of us want to be judged by jury members

who make their minds up, and then close those minds, before the facts are in?

If you want justice, then treat others justly ?

"Right-wing news" Alan? Your gal Hillary was on Fox News last night. Here is what she had to say about the situation: The Obama administration may need to "raise the decibels a little bit more" to try and secure the release of Marine Sgt Tahmooressi whose imprisonment she called "unacceptable". "I can tell you what I would be doing-burning up the telephone wires, sending envoys, not just our ambassador but others, talking to the highest level Mexican officials, making it clear that this is really important to us. When this kind of action happens and somebody made an accidental turn, who is serving our country ends up in prison, that is just unacceptable."

Archived