Chapala.com Webboard

Car Window sticker one name, Car Registration in different name

Hello,

I bought my car in 2012 and titled the car, tags, everything in my name and have never had a problem. But the sticker when it was driven over the border is in the original owners name.

I obviously need to solve this problem and am driving to the states next week to do this. How do I get to the border without a problem. Is there a letter or ANYTHING I can do?

Thank you

Prefer responses if you truly know a correct answer.

Is this a US plated car? If so, selling it in Mexico was illegal and could lead you to problems, including confiscation. From what you say, the car was temporarily imported by someone else. As such, it now has no legal status in Mexico. I have no idea how you could fix that & I sure would not want to be driving such a vehicle and get stopped. They could assume it is stolen and showing new US registration in your name would probably make it worse. Mexico is concerned with the Importada Temporal and the name & passport of the importer, matched to the VIN of the vehicle. The registration and plates are not part of that enforcement system.

I hope I am wrong in my interpretation of your post.

Hello,

I bought my car in 2012 and titled the car, tags, everything in my name and have never had a problem. But the sticker when it was driven over the border is in the original owners name.

I obviously need to solve this problem and am driving to the states next week to do this. How do I get to the border without a problem. Is there a letter or ANYTHING I can do?

Thank you

Prefer responses if you truly know a correct answer.

Check with Intercasa (Spencer McMullen) at Chapala Legal - it will be worth your time to do that.

Not to put a damper on things, but I think it's possible that Spencer may tell you that you broke the law and there is no easy fix. It may well be that your only option is to take a chance and try taking the car out of the Mexico.

Get a free 5 day Retorno Seguro permit from Hacienda/SAT that allows you to drive to the border legally, surrender the old Temporary Import Permit (TIP) and get a new TIP in your name. If you bought the car from someone else without getting the vehicle title re-issued in your name, you will have to have a signed bill of sale or other proof of ownership documenting that the vehicle is yours.

You can read details on the Safe Returns (Retorno Seguro) permit at: ~ What to Do If Your Car Becomes “Illegal” – The Retorno Seguro Program / Permit

Spencer helps people get the permits.

Archived