Chapala.com Webboard

Permanente visa: consulate report

lobita

If you are a US citizen seeking approval for a residente permanente visa, I recommend the Laredo consulate.

We had terrible experiences with the Seattle and San Antonio offices -- in both places, we felt like the official we were dealing with was against the entire idea of Americans emigrating to Mexico and was actively trying to throw up extra roadblocks.

Austin was helpful, but overworked and slow. We ran up against a travel deadline before we could get through the procedure there, so I'd only recommend them if you're willing to spend several days in the area and make multiple trips.

Laredo, however, was the jackpot. Some details to note:

My spouse is the one with the steady monthly income, so our plan was to get his residente visa and add me on under the family provision. However, the payments are deposited into a bank account which is in my name only. Laredo wouldn't approve him, even with pay stubs in his name and a copy of our marriage certificate. (But they were nice about it.)

However, they approved *me* on the basis of bank statements (online printouts) without asking to see pay stubs. Not only that, but they approved me for permanente based on working income, not a pension. (We are well below retirement age.) So now we're just doing it in reverse -- I'll get my visa, then add him as family.

I walked in on a Tuesday morning and walked out 80 minutes later with my approval, same day. Laredo was also the only office of the four to respond to our email or phone contact attempts (we got an email reply).

No, those are Mexican consulates in the respective cities. You could look for a consulate in a city near you in Connecticut. However, if you run into trouble locally, it might be worthwhile to try someplace like Laredo (TX).

• 1 month later...

Archived