Chapala.com Webboard

Great Meal at Thor's

egcallis

Had the Lamb Shank at Thor's last night along with a great salad, appetizer, desert and glass of wine. Bumped into some old friends too so it was a very pleasant evening. The lamb fell off the bone, the Sea Bass Carpaccio was outstanding and the banana cream pie was tasty. We are looking forward to more great meals from Thor and Chef Eric.

Had the Lamb Shank at Thor's last night along with a great salad, appetizer, desert and glass of wine. Bumped into some old friends too so it was a very pleasant evening. The lamb fell of the bone, the Sea Bass Carpaccio was outstanding and the banana cream pie was tasty. We are looking forward to more great meals from Thor and Chef Eric.

Is "Chef Eric" by any chance the infamous wandering Chef Eric of Number 4, Hole in One, Hacienda del Lago, etc fame?

Thor's is the old "Bubba's" restaurant in Riberas and yes it's the same Eric. The lamb shank was a special I believe. I had Thor add me to his email list. Chef Eric is suppose to start doing Mon/Tue specials at Thor's so I wanted in on the goods. I think on the 9th, the special will be Duck so we will definitely be there for that.

Thor's is the old "Bubba's" restaurant in Riberas and yes it's the same Eric. The lamb shank was a special I believe. I had Thor add me to his email list. Chef Eric is suppose to start doing Mon/Tue specials at Thor's so I wanted in on the goods. I think on the 9th, the special will be Duck so we will definitely be there for that.

Interesting. Thanks.

I also had the lamb shank there last night. Great meal, great attentive service, good pricing and atmosphere. Am looking forward to dining there again. Very friendly place, the owner is very involved and has some great ideas.

It is next door to the Aquatic centre in Riberas, mountain side just before 7-11. Worth a visit.

Like others, I ate at Thor's last night. Chef Eric is, in my opinion, one of the best chefs lakeside. The meal was a class act all the way and reasonably priced. With Eric making meals on Mondays and Tuesdays, I will certainly become a regular. His sister (whom he trained) is the chef on the other days. Looking forward to trying her meals as Eric said she is very good and getting better. Great addition to lakeside dinning.

Dear Folks:

Due to a steady increase in the popularity of our Lunch/Early Dinner Menu, we are closing BREAKFAST during the months June and July. We sincerely apologize to our loyal customers who enjoy our breakfast.

Our NEW opening hours are 12:00 noon to 7:00 Monday - Saturday until further notice.

We want to focus our attention on the new Lunch / Early Dinner hours in order to increase our customer satisfaction in all aspects of their dining experience with us.

This note shall also serve to remind everyone that we will serve our Braised Lamb Shank prepared by Eric this Tuesday from 1:00 - 7:00.

For reservations - please call 331 319 6185 or email to thor@gluggi.com

More announcements will follow shortly.

Thor and Laura Hjaltason

There's a rumor that Thor might be considering moving into the soon to be vacant building where Number 4 is currently located. It would be a great addition to the village restaurant scene. Many expats chose to live in Ajijic, particularly during the winter months because they can avoid having a car and can walk virtually everywhere within the village with little difficulty. Thor's current location just doesn't suit many of those people. From the reputation Thor seems to have developed in a very short time and the recent return of Chef Eric to the local scene (a few nights at Thor's) it would be great if they do have the opportunity to move to the Number 4 location.

However, it would be great if Thor (and backers) decide to become simply a restaurant with an attractive bar facility and they completely ignore any attempt to become a live entertainment venue. A good sound system with good background music will please not only the neighbors but also the clientele who simply want to dine and enjoy quiet conversation with their fellow diners. At present Number 4 is open limited hours - for only 3 days a week - and that just doesn't represent good business sense. What's terribly missing in Ajijic is a quiet enjoyable well furnished establishment that would welcome both diners and those who simply want a late afternoon cocktail or drink perhaps before dining in their own home. Where can one do that now? Absolutely nowhere! Unless you want to join the "great unwashed" in what currently represents the "local bar scene". Number 4's current location has ample space available to easily accommodate an enjoyable bar facility in addition to a restaurant consistent in their ability to present good quality food without having to increase the price in order to pay for live entertainers. Nuff said!

I like having a good restaurant in Riberas. I would not dine there as often if it were in the village. Many of us chose to live in other areas. The village has many fine establishments. Please Thor, stay where you are!

Since it's not a certainty that Number Four is moving, this speculation seems a bit premature. Can Thor afford the large staff necessary to operate the location presently belonging to Number Four, not to mention the horrendous electricity bills Kim is stuck with?

Since it's not a certainty that Number Four is moving, this speculation seems a bit premature. Can Thor afford the large staff necessary to operate the location presently belonging to Number Four, not to mention the horrendous electricity bills Kim is stuck with?

I guess you have not seen the new sign/poster on the front of No.4! See also the advertisement in the current edition of the GDL Reporter. It indicates a move to a new location in Ajijic and the opening of a restaurant in Toronto.

Going back, way back, all the way back to the topic: Thor's.

We went there today to try Chef Eric's already-famous Lamb Shank. Very tasty. The mixed vegetables were delicious and perfectly cooked. And it came with a slice of honest-to-god brioche. I asked Eric where he found the brioche and, of course, it comes from some bakery in Providencia (Guadalajara, west-side). He mentioned the name but I've already forgotten. $150 per plate. Even the simple pico-de-gallo and chips served beforehand were a cut above the rest. Funny how quality ingredients, simply- and well-prepared make such a difference.

Thor mentioned that next weeks special will be some 4-course situation centered on Duck. So all you quacker fans may want to take note.

My mouth is remembering Erics lamb shank and it was marvelous however ...be still my heart....duck, yum!

I am going to have to give this place a try sooner rather than later. Especially if there is a chance it will end up across the street.

Have been hearing nothing but good and everything better than good.

I'll just add that we ate there today at the "weird" hour of 3:30 pm when neither Eric nor Thor were there initially, though both arrived while we were eating/finishing. The support staff handled everything perfectly, including the kitchen. I was impressed.

Archived