Chapala.com Webboard

Quads-ATV's

Can anyone tell me definitively, if quads(ATV's) are allowed on the carretera? Or, if they are supposed to be confined to the surface streets & laterals? I know we've all seen them on the carretera, but that doesn't mean they are legal. Thanks.

Legal in MX depends on two things, first if you are MXN, they probably won't notice and the mood of the trafico that day. I would say it's way dangerous, I met a string of traffic yesterday and one of the dinky quads was being passed by cars like crazy and our lane was moving over to allow for folks coming over the yellow line - not real smart, there are more refined ways to commit suicide.

If you license it then you should be able to drive it on the carretera, just like a motorcycle. I brought a Polaris down from the States, mainly for the Beaches. Rode it from SJC to Jocotepec twice, that was enough for me! The one I had could do 60mph easy. If you buy a brand name one here in Mexico, be prepared to pay mucho Pesos!

Fox is correct, you must have a license for it. The problem is stock tires are meant for trails and beaches. Riding on a paved surface is a little dangerous and, in fact, there should be a warning from the manufacturer that it is to be kept off such roads.

There was once a chap on this forum that had a 3-wheel motorcyle, a trike. People told him turning hard was dangerous. He died turning left off the carretera.

Just saying the decision is yours to make. The quads are perfect for village use pn the cobblestones. A quick ride on the highway probably fine. But riding from Ajijic to Jocotopec - asking for problems imo. But if you want to then address the tire issue.

As was mentioned on TOB, please to not ride without liability insurance. Contact an insurance agency, such as Parker Insurance, to make sure you can be insured. Plates are important, LI is much more important IMHO. A Quad hit a friend's car and did a fair amount of damage.

To have an accident without insurance, in any kind of vehicle, means a trip to jail until you pay up.

There are very few on the streets or roads any more; not a good idea. If you want something that size, get a smart car from the Mercedes dealer, or a used one as seen on the carretera in Riberas del Pilar last week, near the car wash.

There are very few on the streets or roads any more;

We must live in different areas. I see them all the time.

If you can get insurance for one, getting a license plate is easy so long as you have a factura. (And so long as Jalisco doesn't - literally - run out of license plates like they did last November.)

As far as whether or not they're legal on the carretera, which is the only question the OP asked, I'm not certain, but I think it depends on the size of the engine. A lawyer could research it in La Ley Vial and give you the answer.

Archived