Chapala.com Webboard

In the last few days, have you, or someone you know, lost a small, well-groomed schnauzer? If so, call Meredith at Casa Blanca and she can put you in touch with the gentleman who found the dog and has been taking care of it. Let's help this dog go back home!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how to post a photo from my iPad...can't find where you put the image. Anyways here is a photo of the this cute

Title guy. He looks to be a out a year old and still intact. If you know who he belongs to or if you Re interested in adopting him please contact Meredith at Casa Blanca. He is with a sweet young Mexican man named Luis who hangs out by the liquor store at Montoya Plaza. Luis has been taking care of the dog looking for its owner. He washes cars for a living and hasn't been able to work because of the dog. He has no money for dog food and now owes Memo the vet for giving him food. Luis found him last Friday. If no one know who he belongs to, I think he would be available for adoption.

Photo link....

http://tinypic.com/r/2ni7edg/8

First, Schnauzers are GREAT dogs so if you have thought about adding one to your family, now is your chance. Second, if not, please drop by Casa Blanca with some pesos for good guy Luis.

Thanks from Mono the Mostly Mini Schnauzer

I am sorry, but Luis is not "A sweet young Mexican man" Luis is holding this dog hostage for money from some gringo. On Saturday I offered to take the dog to find his owner or a new home but because I did not give him money he left with the dog. Whatever you do DO NOT GIVE HIM MONEY, GIVE HIM DOG FOOD INSTEAD. If you give him money he will just buy drugs or alcohol for himself. If you find someone who wants this dog. Get the dog from him and just start walking away. If he protests tell him you are going to the police and will report him for extorting this poor dog.

Sounds like Luis has an agenda. He can't work just because he's got this dog?

Seems to me it would be worth our peace of mind just to give him 50 pesos and walk away with the dog. This is an awful situation. I'd gladly give the 50 pesos to the person who can go get the dog.

Poor dog is in a bad situation and isn't being properly cared for.

Lexy

From what I have heard Luis wants a lot more than 50 pesos for the dog. When offered a 100 pesos reward to turn over the dog he said no, that it was a valuable dog and left. He is holding the dog for ransom to the highest bidder. .

Yes, I'm the one who offered him 100 pesos when he asked for a propina yesterday, in front of Memo's, the vet on Constitución in Ajijic .... He does not owe anything to Memo for food...Memo knows Luis...and isn't at all happy that after almost six days he's holding the dog hostage. I am upset with myself for not having taken the leash for a sec, and saying I would call the police. Forgive me, but Luis is a druggie and a creep. After all this time, I wouldn't call him a nice guy....I've known him a long while.

So what can we do. Can we go as a group to take the dog from him? I'm not in great shape right now for walking around, but I'd make the effort if a few people would join me. Or can we ask a cop to come with us? For once, I'd gladly give the cop money if he'd help us get the dog back. Any of the doggie welfare shelter people available to help?

Lexy

OK, here's a plan maybe not without the kinks worked out. But we can help this kidnapped dog with the bad guy Luis.

What if Hector's community aide was asked to join in solving the problem? That's Harry B., who posts on chapala.com regularly. Hector should care about dog thieves in the community, (among the other things he has to do). I hear he's a great guy. Now the head of Lucky Dogs is Harry's wife, who probably knows lots about dealing with dog rescue issues.

This whole story if we rescue this poor dog would be a news/feature story in the Guad Reporter, written by their new columnist Judy King. And could be a warning to the dog thieves in our community who hold them for ransom. Or not. The dog will be rescued. Good community work hits the headlines. Think I'm kidding? I'm not.

The thing is, the longer this Luis has this poor animal the more chance he'll be harmed.

Who's going to help?

Lexy

All good ideas Lexy.... but if this get off the ground, an article should go into a local SPANISH newspaper so area Mexicans can read,

pass on to friends, etc.

Unlikely Luis or his ilk can / will read the Reporter anyway, but if highlighted as a CRIME that will be watched in the

local rag, might be some help in future instances?

All good ideas Lexy.... but if this get off the ground, an article should go into a local SPANISH newspaper so area Mexicans can read,

pass on to friends, etc.

Unlikely Luis or his ilk can / will read the Reporter anyway, but if highlighted as a CRIME that will be watched in the

local rag, might be some help in future instances?

Of course, Natasha, you are so right in thinking this news has to be in Spanish language outlets to help spead the word.

What I'm suggesting NOW is a rescue effort of this dog.

Someone asked what would we do if there was no shelter or foster home to take in the dog if it is taken from Luis? So??? I'm asking for a show of concern--Lucky Dog???

The dog's life is in danger--if all we are hearing about luis is accurate.

The dog needs to be gotten before Luis decides he is a liability and gets rid of him.

If Lucky Dog can not take him, I will provide a foster home until his owners or a forever home are found. Someone cared enough to groom him. Where are they?

The dog needs to be gotten before Luis decides he is a liability and gets rid of him.

If Lucky Dog can not take him, I will provide a foster home until his owners or a forever home are found. Someone cared enough to groom him. Where are they?

Exactly right, Xena: Luis isn't going to cope for much longer with a dog that must be a burden to him. He'll dump it, but will we know where?

I've emailed a couple of Lucky Dog founders. I'm hoping they'll respond and I'm willing, as I'm sure others will be, to make an effort as a group to get the dog. I'm not suggesting we put ourselves in any kind of jeopardy. But surely this can be worked out?

My point is to rally some of us to do what is probably do-able in this situation.

Would a show of force do it? Like an angry mob?

Or could someone with an authoritative demeanor approach the dognapper (?) and claim the dog as his/her own and back up such a declaration with an assertion that the animal is micro chipped and ownership can be proven? Should someone have the where with all to approach Luis and demand that the animal be turned over immediately assuring him that failure to do so will result in a call to the police might have a positive outcome. Producing a cell phone to call Police might strengthen the threat.

I hesitate to support paying a ransom because it seems that in the picture, the pup is wearing a collar with an attached lead. Was the dog "found" with this equipment or was the guy who has him prepared to "find" an animal (any animal) in its own front garden and then try to raise a little cash with his "find"? If this the situation and it nets a financial gain, might he not try the same scam again and again?

In principle, I don't like the idea of paying a ransom in so far as I suspect that it will only encourage repeat behavior from this guy, however, if that is the only way that this dog can be rescued then I too would be willing to chip in. The only problem is that I live at the extreme west end of the Lake and cannot get to Ajijic before Friday when I would be happy to put a hundred pesos into the pot, though we have recently been trying to squirrel a little money to hand in to one of the shelters at least once a month and we would much rather add the hundred pesos to that fund.

By the way, if you need my hundred pesos, someone will have to give me an address to deliver it to on Friday.

I will look into this today.

Bob McKeown

Lucky Dog

Glad to see this response from Lucky Dog. Thanks, Bob. Please report back to us and especially if we can help in this rescue effort.

If Luis is a drug addict and has the gall to steal a dog and put it up for sale, then he's a guy to be wary of. So let's be careful. If we can get help from the police, it would be safer for anyone working on this rescue effort.

I agree with those who say this guy shouldn't get paid off to get the dog away from him, as he'll be encouraged to do this again.

Lexy

Gudren's husband is having some health issues so I hesitate to get her involved. Another thought - put up TONS of Found Dog posters in Spanish and English with the photo. Tell Luis we are helping find the owners. Make little flyers and give to neighborhood kids to hand out. This puts lots of pressure on Luis without putting anyone at risk.

I know the young man in question and he is a low level thug. If we can get the dog away from him and he has no owner Lucky dog will take him. Although if he is freshly groomed he has to belong to someone!!

Archived