Chapala.com Webboard

Restaurant near Teatro Diana

Going to the ballet Wednesday. Anyone have a near by restaurant suggestion?

I don't know of any restaurants near Teatro Diana except the one in the Hotel Mision Carlton. I was just there last night for a concert at the Teatro Diana, stayed at the hotel, and ate in their restaurant. It was a pretty bad experience. The service was absolutely awful. There was one other table in the restaurant besides the two of us and there seemed to be plenty of employees but they pretty much ignored us. We were never asked if we wanted anything to drink and I had to ask for water even though there were water glasses on the table. One wait person tried to take my menu away before I had even ordered. I ordered the chicken fajitas which were unlike any other chicken fajitas I had ever had, smothered in a red sauce. My friend ordered grilled chicken breast with vegetable and fries. When they delivered the plate they said the fries were still cooking. Her chicken and veggies were cold. When you have only two plates to prepare how can one be cold? She had to get up to give it back to the waiter, who was chatting around the corner and never checked to see if everything was okay. Turned out they didn't have a microwave to heat it up in so it went back in the pan, I guess. When they returned it the fries were there but not totally cooked. We would have been better off going across the street to the Walmart and buying something in their deli section and eating it in our room. There may be restaurants further down 16 de Septiembre that I don't know. That is not a very nice part of town so I have my doubts about any quality restaurants around there. Maybe somebody else knows.

Absolutely!

Do you prefer to eat before or after the ballet? Many restaurants in downtown GDL aren't open at night.

Your choices are slim to none in the vicinity of the theater. If you're willing to take a taxi, I can give you a number of recommendations in the Centro Histórico.

I guess we will end up in the Centro Historico.

There are more places a few miles down Ninos Heroes around Lopez Mateos

I should have stated we were on foot. Ended up in mariachi square with a mediocre meal. But the ballet was excellent and more than made up for it.

Archived