Chapala.com Webboard

Declaring a computer

I have friends visiting Lakeside this summer. They don't have a laptop but are bringing down their 5 year old computer. They have been told that they must declare this computer and pay 16% tax on the value of it when it was new. This seems a bit hinky to me. Is this information correct? Will they get this back when they leave at the end of the summer?

Have lived here 5+ years and make at least 5-6 trips to the states each year. Have never declared anything and have brought down laptops, Kindles, iPads, iPods, etc. Have gotten the red light numerous times. The only thing ever confiscated was a half of a turkey sandwich that I got at LAX between flights.

Last time I drove in with stuff like, I had two tower computers and a 36 in. HiDef tube TV in the backseat, plus a laptop. I also had a stereo system, several speakers, a digital SLR, and myriad other items. No one cared a wit.

Last time I drove in with stuff like, I had two tower computers and a 36 in. HiDef tube TV in the backseat, plus a laptop. I also had a stereo system, several speakers, a digital SLR, and myriad other items. No one cared a wit.

Did you stop at the bridge to declare, or did you keep driving, waiting for someone to stop you and ask if you had anything to declare. Makes a Big difference.

Desk-top PCs can be treated differently than I-pads, tablets, lap tops, and notebooks, which are generally treated as allowed "personal items". In theory, a desktop PC is not considered a duty-free or tax-free "personal item", so Aduana agents can and do charge duties (the 16% IVA) on them. Like other items, Aduana's enforcement of the rules is erratic, where some get charged and many others cruise through paying nothing. In one weird twist off the computer tax issue, last year we spent 20 minutes hassling with both an Aduana agent and their supervisor over a hard disk drive when we flew in. It was an older HDD, (looks like an electronic brick), had just 40GB capacity, one used simply as a back-up drive.

Aduana insisted that the HDD was a computer. I pointed out: no CPU, no motherboard, no power supply, no case. They then claimed that the HDD was "el alma de la computadora". We went back and forth over this, as they wanted $500 pesos of duty on the old drive. My Mexican wife simply did not like Aduana's ways of pushing the issue, so she argued with them for another 10 minutes. Finally, I explained that the HDD was very old, very small, and they could just keep it. "Es viejo. SĂłlo tienes que mantener. Ahora es tuyo." That befuddled the Aduana agent and supervisor. I started to repack our bags, and close them. The Aduana agent said that no, you have to pay us. I cheerfully repeated: "Keep it. It's old. If I have to pay, then I don't want it."

They looked perplexed for another moment, and weakly motioned that I should not yet close the last suitcase. My wife replied: "Manténgalo". They shrugged, and handed me the old HDD and waved us through.

Over the past 25 years, we've heard similar stories from friends on desktop PCs, sometimes Aduana wants the tax, other times they ignore the PCs. A few have reported that Aduana would not allow them to bring in more than one desktop PC.

I have also been stopped by Aduana for bringing in more than one laptop when flying in.

Did you stop at the bridge to declare, or did you keep driving, waiting for someone to stop you and ask if you had anything to declare. Makes a Big difference.

Of course, and I always do. Heck, twice I had a trailer and a roof-carrier loaded to the eyeballs. You also get stopped at the 22 km checkpoint, so you have two fun opportunities. I've never heard what Snowyco is talking about, but there ya go.

Most border issues seem to depend on the mood of the guards and the time of day, paired with the traveller's level of anxiety.

Of course, and I always do. Heck, twice I had a trailer and a roof-carrier loaded to the eyeballs. You also get stopped at the 22 km checkpoint, so you have two fun opportunities. I've never heard what Snowyco is talking about, but there ya go.

***Most border issues seem to depend on the mood of the guards and the time of day, paired with the traveller's level of anxiety.

At the Border, and at the 22km checkpoint, there are lanes that say "Declare" and "Nothing to Declare". I have a feeling you did not get into the :"Declare" lanes and therefore did not have your mdse inspected. You got very lucky. Sometimes, on the HWY to Monterrey, I have also been stopped and "inspected" or checked for a receipt for my declaration. Thank God I had it, as I do not desire to "follow" those guys anywhere. What goes around, comes around.

*** The guards have nothing to do with Aduana and paying duty. They check for arms and drugs, not mdse. Aduana is made up of Inspectors, in appropriate uniforms. Seems that you have been missing this step in crossing the Border. Hopefully, when you do get to meet Aduana, it will not be a very "multafied" experience.

Well, Jim Bowie, you can have any kind of feeling you want, but I assure you, I don't make things up and I don't have any reason to buffalo anyone. Pretty frikkin' hard to drive into the "Nothing to delcare" lane when you have a rooftop carrier and a 6x6' trailer. I've done the borders any number of times and the only trouble I had was when my Mom was with me, with a temporary letter while her FM was en trámite.

Did anybody bother to click on the link I posted (post #3 in this thread)? Here it is again: http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/pasajeros/139_10210.html Link opens in English.

We all know that YMMV on what gets across the border without a hassle, but in case you get stuck with a stickler at Customs, it's best to know what is and isn't allowed PER ADUANA. The link will tell you. Lots of stuff is on that list, but not PCs.

Did anybody bother to click on the link I posted (post #3 in this thread). Here it is again: http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/pasajeros/139_10210.html Link opens in English.

We all know that YMMV on what gets across the border without a hassle, but in case you get stuck with a stickler at Customs, it's best to know what is and isn't allowed PER ADUANA. The link will tell you. Lots of stuff is on that list, but not PCs.

Thanks for posting the link. I was looking at it, but that was awhile ago. Alan

We've brought loads of stuff across at McAllen/Pharr many times now and have never had a problem or been asked to pay duty on anything. I will say that this crossing seems to be a lot less stickier than Laredo, based on our own and the experience of others. We expected we might have a problem this trip since the stuff was piled higher than usual, we usually keep it at or below the level of the windows.

They did take a look, looked at our gray hair and Jalisco plates and waved us through after a pleasant chat about us going home to Chapala.

I really doubt a 5 year old computer is going to cause much of a problem. Just don't have it laying out there obvious and if you have the original 5 year old receipt, bring it.

A five year old computer is used and has no real value.

Archived