Chapala.com Webboard

Time for the annual "guess the start of the rains" contest

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the E pattern sets up, before I go to bed I look out an E window and if I see lightening, and depending on where it is, I can almost tell exactly if there is going to be rain and where it will go, to the S shore or to Guad, or here and in that case I close up most of the house so I don't have to do it at 4am - and we're no where close to that yet.

Get ready for the second Pacific blow

An area of disturbed weather has formed several hundred miles south
of southeastern Mexico. This activity is currently poorly organized,
but environmental conditions should become conducive for gradual
development of this system during the next few days as it drifts
northward.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 10 percent
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...50 percent

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?epac

East or West directional weather either way I wait all the rest of the year for the 4 months from mid-Feb thru mid-June to be HOT and DRY. It is my favorite time here. I have been sorely disappointed this year as it has been unseasonably cool and damp. If I had known I would have gone north for a lovely midwestern spring. Yesterday was a fireplace day....ugh!

I count the rainy season began last week because whatever it is effecting the weather now it doesn't look to abate before mid-June an the two will meld together.

Get ready for the second Pacific blow

An area of disturbed weather has formed several hundred miles south

of southeastern Mexico. This activity is currently poorly organized,

but environmental conditions should become conducive for gradual

development of this system during the next few days as it drifts

northward.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 10 percent

* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...50 percent

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?epac

I'm riding motos on Sunday, make sure you hold this off until then, thanks. :)

We're loving the cooler damper weather and lack of dust. It is great for sleeping at night. It is a little hard to keep the pool warm, however, and our solar panel power production is off a third.

Guest bennie2

bmh, thankyou. pappysmarket, last year i was swimming in an outdoor pool all thru the month of may & beyound (started excatly mid month). during last may i never missed a swim because of rain. it was so hot that my skin burned if i attempted to walk outside during prior to 6pm. this may, hardly any burning except some days in the beginning of the month. this year: missing many days of swimming. i dont like storms, it would be ok if this was IT.

Guest bennie2

rvgringo, if it makes you feel better, young people argue about any little thing. i see twitter & youtube. they curse each other over a rock band. (kind of sounds like dementia). the weather discussion is quite fine, we can call it science.

There is nothing to argue about ask any Mexican some tv program said that the rainy season started on the 28th of May this year..you guys can look to the east all you want, I

will listen to what the locals have to say about the climate they know a whole lot better than we do.

There is nothing to argue about ask any Mexican some tv program said that the rainy season started on the 28th of May this year..you guys can look to the east all you want, I

will listen to what the locals have to say about the climate they know a whole lot better than we do.

Completely agree with you, Brigitte. All Mexicans I asked, say exactly the same..... no need for complicated maps or satellite images, just some common sense,.... smell, look and feel. Again, it is getting evening and I see more clouds coming.

On about every subject in this country, you get a lot more accurate information from the Mexican him or herself, whatever the so called smart people say. Get away from your fancy computers, pseudo scientists, ridiculous criteria (like needing 3 days of rain in a row.... rubbish, the English say..... what if the 3rd day it would start raining above the Chapala Pharmacia Guadalajara and not in the Chapala plaza ....)....

What I learnt in life from the intellectual class (economists, journalists, metereologists,....and others) ---->

- they say : buy stocks,.... better start selling

- it is safe outthere..... get a bulletproof vest

- it will be a sunny day ...... grab your umbrella

step into the real life and get in touch with nature and reality.

Peace on earth,... and the other planets too.

Rony

All well and good and this is a good shower although it's coming from the N, but if you remember last year, we got 1.84" in May and we were excited, even went over our 6.6" in June a tiny bit - but then? - the E pattern never developed and all we got was a sprinkle at a time and ended the year about 11% short and that was only because of storms off the Pacific coast in Nov/Dec, otherwise we'd be short by nearly 20%. But, definitely not complaining, it's great no matter.

PS: bmh, it ALL counts!

What is interesting is that this unuasual weather has been true in many areas. People from Vara Cruz were saying that had unuasual torential rains and I know that in San Cristobal de las Casas, the rain strted on the third week of April and did not stop , the rainy season there usualy start mid May.

Hopefully we will have lots of rain and the lake will go up this year, we can use all the rain we can get right now.( except on the day I need to spray of course)

Guest bennie2

this is a bit much for me. but the weatherman doesnt lie, time to pay attention to accu weather. the forecast is true, rain started @ 6:40pm in ajijc central. this is a major storm almost. E W what ever who cares?? heavy rain is heavy rain. dont expect any break from this.

An area due south of us in the Pacific has just gone red on the NHC chart. They predict that it will become a named storm in 3 days or less. They are also predicting it to move generally due north. It's early days and who knows where it will wind up, but due north would bring it right to us. If only. Hurricanes saved us last year. We didn't really get much from the East, as someone pointed out. At any rate, it's fun to track it. Sparks, are you tracking it?

Archived