Chapala.com Webboard

Time for the annual "guess the start of the rains" contest

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of discussion about different criteria to measure the start of the rainy season, but an important one is never mentioned..... What area are we really talking about ? Just Lakeside, from Mezcala to Jocotepec, Jalisco, the Western part of Mexico, the whole of Mexico, or just your backyard ??

If one is stubbornly holding on to the other criteria and one focusses on the scientific approach, why is the basic geographical parameter brushed aside ? If you want to know when it began, isn't it important to know "where" the rainy season has started ?

Even within the small area we expats live in, there are different measurements.

On a sidenote, the rainbirds are a very local phenomenon too, no ??

Very curious to see some answers to that one......

Rony

Dear Rony:

You make a good point and for that reason, at one time, and perhaps still is stated, that for purposes of this contest that rain would be measured at the Riberas del Pilar weather station. That way if it rained much harder or much less, somewhere else, one would only use the results for the purpose of this contest as shown on the Riberas del Pilar weather page which I believe can be found at www,chapalaweather.net/

Dear Rony:

You make a good point and for that reason, at one time, and perhaps still is stated, that for purposes of this contest that rain would be measured at the Riberas del Pilar weather station. That way if it rained much harder or much less, somewhere else, one would only use the results for the purpose of this contest as shown on the Riberas del Pilar weather page which I believe can be found at www,chapalaweather.net/

Thks dear P,..... but I still would like to find out, how far does a rainy season stretch....(location wise).

Actually, if you read Rule #1, there must be 1/2 inch, followed by 2 other 1/2 inches in the 7 days following the first 1/2 inch. THAT, is a total of 1 and 1/2 inches in 8 days, but 3 of those days MUST be at least 1/2 inch each day. Read rule #1 very carefully. I believe my June 19th is still in the running. :D

Rony, you're being much to serious about this, it's just a "thing" we do in the Spring, not that it matters one iota. As you mention, it's totally different from the eastern end of the lake to Joco. No actual long term records seem to exist, so it's just a thing we talk about. I tell people that where I live we have 8 months of dust and 4 months of mud, it's just a topic of conversation that BTW is the most common subject talked about worldwide and in part because it's relatively neutral, it's not religious, not political, it's just weather. However in our current world some would make it both religious and political for their own purposes, but it's not, it's just rain, or lack thereof.

Rony, you're being much to serious about this, it's just a "thing" we do in the Spring, not that it matters one iota. As you mention, it's totally different from the eastern end of the lake to Joco. No actual long term records seem to exist, so it's just a thing we talk about. I tell people that where I live we have 8 months of dust and 4 months of mud, it's just a topic of conversation that BTW is the most common subject talked about worldwide and in part because it's relatively neutral, it's not religious, not political, it's just weather. However in our current world some would make it both religious and political for their own purposes, but it's not, it's just rain, or lack thereof.

You are 100 % right. It just made me think a bit more about it, after I talked to a lady from Culiacan, who lives here and had never heard of the rainbirds.

I used to believe that only Belgians talked that much about the weather all the time (because it usually is pretty bad there). Strangely enough, I never moved here for the weather (way too hot still for me), but for all the wonderful friends I met here (expats and Mexicans). Numerous times, I tried to get out of here, but kept on coming back. Guess that they will have to throw me out. Now, I am stuck here. Whatever..... home is where your friends are.

Rony

Archived