Chapala.com Webboard

Time for the annual "guess the start of the rains" contest

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the rules of this contest set up by you, Mainecoons, there must be one inch of rain measured at the Riberas del Pilar weather station during a 24 hour period. If you will check the weather station daily rain calendar for 2014, you will see that there has not yet been 1 inch of rain during a 24 hour period. In fact, looking at any two or three day period this year and total up the rain and it doesn't add up to an inch Now you do get more than 1 inch during the five day period of 7,8,9, 10 & 11 of June

Are you changing the rules, Mainecoons? Just curious.

Now just maybe it will rain this evening and or early next morning enough to get more than one inch during a 24 hour period

On page one, it states 1/2 inch in 24 hour period, followed by another 1/2 inch within a week. SO, has this happened or not? Looks to me like June 11 is the winner of one inch within the week. Must this be all mucked up too? Keep it simple sweetie!

You are right suz, I stand corrected.

EDIT : Is it my memory going bad or did the original definition state nothing about rain over a week but rather more than one inch during a 24 hour period?

Any comments anyone? I don't want to admit I'm getting old and forgetful minded :)

Only 1/10 of an inch in San Juan Cosala this week.

I'm back to watering my garden every day. And the rainbirds are still singing.

I interpreted that as the first rain sets the date, the second confirms it. So the first rain over 1/2 inch was on June 6, the second was five days later on June11, thereby confirming that the season started on the 6th. My intention in arranging it this way was to rule out an isolated rain as the start of the season.

This is still looking like a fairly weak start to the rains IMO.

Had to chuckle last evening, they're building a few lots to the W of me and they had brought in a huge cement pumper truck and when they got ready to leave last night they pulled onto a vacant lot to turn around - well, .89" of rain on a raw lot and a huge truck? Took them about an hour and a half to get it out, they didn't think that one through.

According to MC (whose contest it is), the rainy season began June 6th, so don´t worry about all the stuff in between--or what the cicadas say (or don´t say) at this point.

But it sure isn't off to a strong start. Easterlies just aren't establishing well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but every year in the past, one said that the rainy season started once we had an inch of rain during a 24 hour period, something we had not had yet.

Also, if I remember correctly, when you originally started the contest this year, Mainecoons, it was also 1 inch during a 24 hour period, then later, I presume, you went in and changed your original post to what it is now.

Am I wrong?

johnason, I believe you are correct.

I'm not convinced it's started yet, either. My measure is when I have to bolt up out of bed in the middle of the night and run around the house slamming windows shut, etc. It's only happened once, so far.

cicadas stop singing when they can go underground since the soil is still hard enough they are still

singing and having sex.

I can still remember those day, too...the singing and the having sex. :)

johnason, I believe you are correct.

I'm not convinced it's started yet, either. My measure is when I have to bolt up out of bed in the middle of the night and run around the house slamming windows shut, etc. It's only happened once, so far.

I think that is a good measure. Maybe we need a contest for Chapala, Ajijic, and Joco. They could be at different times. I think I made my guess based on Chapala. :)

Yes it doesn't feel like its started here yet either, that's why I posted. I usually gauge it by when my upstairs terrace leaks, it is only covered with those ubiquitous red clay curved shingles (forgot what they are called) no real roof.

Archived