Chapala.com Webboard

iphone purchase beter USa or Mexico

FWIW - One thing not mentioned in these threads is IF you've already "drunk the KoolAid" and are using an Apple Computer, MacBook, iMac, etc... then buying an iPhone will work out well for you since iTunes and the Cloud technology will sync your data, pictures, etc. on ALL of your devices.

However, if you're running a PC home environment, it can be more challenging to have that kind of integration. Thus an Android device could well be a better choice. (This is an arguable point, because iTunes apparently runs on Window OS, but I'm just KoolAid intolerant.)

Either way, what ever smartphone you choose, it will need to be Unlocked GSM so that you can swap out whatever SIM card from whatever carrier you choose, whether it here, USA, Europe, Asia, etc.

Calling Apple a failing company that is not large is ridiculous. I'd bet Apple stock sees fresh all time highs within two years.

Bet they don't. They depend on fresh ideas, and they haven't had one since Steve died.

The battery on my iPhone 3 is dying, and Apple wants a crazy amount of money for a new battery. I had bought that phone with a package from AT&T, brought it to Mexico in 2011 and had it unlocked.

I'm looking at buying a new dual SIM, unlocked GSM phone. This one on Amazon looks good -- any opinions pro or con? BTW - I am NOB for much of the time for the next 12 months as I'm doing a consulting gig with Dell, so I'll be buying my phone NOB.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PLBLQC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3PHATTNTYQYYA&coliid=I1XLMN3Y23I3PC

holdrja,

I'd look at the Moto G's specs and see it would suit your needs NOB. It's a better product and runs the latest Android OS from Google, at that price point, more memory, etc..

fwiw

thanks, gfresh, will do

Once I've actually purchased a phone and used it NOB/SOB, I'll post my experiences. Always have to sync it with a Windows OS, as all of my consulting clients are Windows-based.

Speaking of which -- I hate! hate! hate! Windows 8.1... but am learning to use it.

Re iTunes - yes, it's awkward. I have been able to use it to sync my iPhones with my Windows PC and applications, though.

Bet they don't. They depend on fresh ideas, and they haven't had one since Steve died.

Great, gentlemen's bet is on. New record high for Apple within two years - by May 2016.

The meme that Steve Jobs is solely responsible for innovation at Apple is kinda like the market share data meme, a bunch of hot air. I can assure you that Apple is working on new product categories. The CEO has said this publicly. Apple takes the time to get things right. They are not usually the first to market, they are usually the best to market. They are a serial disruptor...

Disagree. Of course he said that. He's got shareholders. But not idea one has come out of Apple since Mr. Jobs. Updated, improved iPhones and Pads, yes... all stuff that was long in the works before. But I'm not an Apple hater: I love their innovations. I'm just not optimistic. In any case, the game is on, my friend. I hope you win. The only rumour right now is Apple TV. Amazon just beat them to the punch, in more ways than one.

I bought an iphone 3 on eBay about a couple of months ago for $62 US including a case and everything, unlocked and jailbroken. I had it shipped here and paid $150 pesos for a chip at a Telcel store and it works great. I am past needing the latest anything. Oh, and this phone was sold as refurbished. They are all over eBay so happy hunting.

How much was shipping and customs etc?

thanks, gfresh, will do

Once I've actually purchased a phone and used it NOB/SOB, I'll post my experiences. Always have to sync it with a Windows OS, as all of my consulting clients are Windows-based.

Speaking of which -- I hate! hate! hate! Windows 8.1... but am learning to use it.

Re iTunes - yes, it's awkward. I have been able to use it to sync my iPhones with my Windows PC and applications, though.

I wondered about windows 8.1 my dell laptop keeps bugging me to upgrade but I had a few months ago and hated it too so I went back to 8 are there advantages I am missing? I just keep clicking on remind me later every time I get the prompt.

• 3 months later...

Great, gentlemen's bet is on. New record high for Apple within two years - by May 2016.

The meme that Steve Jobs is solely responsible for innovation at Apple is kinda like the market share data meme, a bunch of hot air. I can assure you that Apple is working on new product categories. The CEO has said this publicly. Apple takes the time to get things right. They are not usually the first to market, they are usually the best to market. They are a serial disruptor...

New all time closing high for AAPL today and still undervalued, IMHO. $100.53 the equivalent pre split price of $703.71.

Up 40.4% on a one year basis.

The gentlemen's bet has been lost by ComputerGuy. Enjoy a spot of crow tonight! Cheers!

Thank you LakesViews, now I understand why the amount shown after AAPL on my yahoo finance page is showing so much less than I thought Apple was. I suspected but did not know that the stock split. What was the ratio of the split? I would love to know,

PS I love my iPhone 5s although I would love my iPhone 4 if that was all I had. and my what at one time was called the "new iPad" works great too.

Have a good evening or day all.

The split was 7:1. No rational explanation for why 7 was picked. It did however make a close of 100.3 or higher a new all time high for the stock price. The market cap however is still lower than 2012 because the company has bought back about 9% of the float since then. I have quite a long winded post above ( may 15 ) about the split and buyback but its worth a read. Great evening indeed.

New all time closing high for AAPL today and still undervalued, IMHO. $100.53 the equivalent pre split price of $703.71. Up 40.4% on a one year basis.The gentlemen's bet has been lost by ComputerGuy. Enjoy a spot of crow tonight! Cheers!

All based on iPhone sales. Of which they are losing market domination rapidly. This is a spike and the bet ain't over yet. Not nearly.

All based on iPhone sales. Of which they are losing market domination rapidly. This is a spike and the bet ain't over yet. Not nearly.

You are welcome to craft another bet, but I clearly won that one. The bet was weather or not Apple stock price attained a new all time high within 2 years. It closed at an all time high yesterday, just 3 months into the bet. Simple as that. Bet won and done.

The Apple is loosing market share meme is ridiculous. Apple will sell over 200 million iOS devices this year. They have already sold over 800 million iOS devices since 2007. More sales every year is a good thing. If apple were to compete on the low end then market share would matter. See Samsung's stock price decline along with their market share decline this year. Apple does not want any part of the commodity race to the bottom. They are focused on making the best not the cheapest product in the market. For Apple it is about ecosystem and user experience not the lowest price. Samsung, Lenovo, and Huawei are in the race to the bottom not Apple... Did you know that Apple has over 50% of the profits in the PC market with only about 10% market share? If you are interested in understanding the stock one needs to look at profits not market share. Market share metrics are merely scare tactics based off of fictional numbers. Apple reports actual unit sales numbers and no one else does. All the other unit numbers are shipping numbers that were arrived at by analysts that are basically guessing ( IDC and Gartner ). Sales of iOS devices are seasonal, one needs to look an entire year for comparisons not a single quarter. If Kia sells more cars does that affect the sales of Mercedes? I think not. The sky is not falling.

As for the stock price - it is still under owned institutionally when compared to the last high in 2012. According to Katy Huberty of Morgan Stanley, the top 100 institutional money managers only have positions of 2.3% compared with 4.5% in 2012. Margin compression is over which results in better year over year comparisons. Expectations have been lowered to earthly levels by analysts which makes for easier beats. The buyback and dividend alone combine to provide a 8.5% gift of value to investors per year ( Katy's calculation). Apple's PE is sitting at 16.8 vs the S&P 500 average at 19.6. Apple should warrant at least an average market multiple IMHO. When Apple is at 116.8 ( 5.96 EPS x 19.6 multiple ) then I will consider it priced fairly. Despite googles crazy PE of 30.7. Apple with a 30.7 PE would be a stock price of 182, 82% higher than today. AAPL just happens to be one of my favorite topics.... Cheers!

Here's what we did ( in reference to saving a bundle and what's the least expensive way to go:

We decided we did not need to use data, while away from a wifi connection (home/or places we could latch onto a wifi connect).

What that meant is we could pay minutes as we go, and eliminated the required iphone data plans that are in the USA.

When we return home, we latch onto our wifi.. or when an area has that (store/restaurant) we can do data then.

The effect this had on our monthly cost was to take it way down to a mere per minute plan. I never would have believed I could use my iphone like this, without a data plan, but in fact did a test run when visiting Ajijic.

Now cost... What does this come out to?

My cost ran:

The initial amount is $19.95 USD (has since gone up to 22.95 since I purchased) (sim cardcost) & your choice of one of the following plans:

250 mins 22.95 (USD) 0.0918 per min (USD)

500 mins 54.95 0.1099 per min

1000 mins 99.95 0.09995 per min

UNLIMITED IN/OUTBOUND PHONE CALLS TO THREE TELCEL CUSTOMERS...

MEANS MY HUSBAND AND I CAN PHONE ONE ANOTHER UNLIMITED.

ONE WARNING:

I must refresh the sim card every 60 days, by purchasing more minutes OR

by doing a 20 peso refill refresh, otherwise your phone number could be lost.

After the sim card purchase, I don't have to buy more minutes again until I've used these.

Now if you want to receive unlimited phone calls from US, you can pay 9.95 (USD)for unlimited inbound

phone calls monthly.

That's great for our budget, for calls can be anytime... and data is when near a wifi connection.

GOOD RIDDANCE LARGE PHONE BILLS.

I bought mine thru Amazon.com. Pete Johansen told me what to buy, unlocked and something else. Then I took it to the little place beside Brendas Bakery, or where it used to be. West of los torritos. Saved a bundle.

Do you know the least expensive TelCel contract that might include an iPhone? Thanks.

What Telcel fails to mention is that the 3 "free" numbers are only free for the first 5 minutes, 30 seconds of which is used up in the connection. After that you are paying whatever your per-minute rate is. So if you want it to be free, you can only talk for 4 and a half minutes, hang up, phone back for another 4 and a half, etc.

Archived