Chapala.com Webboard

iphone purchase beter USa or Mexico

I bought an iphone 3 on eBay about a couple of months ago for $62 US including a case and everything, unlocked and jailbroken. I had it shipped here and paid $150 pesos for a chip at a Telcel store and it works great. I am past needing the latest anything. Oh, and this phone was sold as refurbished. They are all over eBay so happy hunting.

Always going to be more expensive here; however, it will be "ready for use" in Mexico. If you want new, check the prices here and there before you go; the difference in getting it unoocked up there might be the difference in price here. Pappysmarket has the right idea for used.

My iPhone 4, just got it a couple of months ago, was unlocked by the service provider (Virgin) in Canada for 50 bucks. But it was given to me by my daughter, so it really didn't cost me anything more.

I will be traveling to USA in June.

I want to buy a iphone that I will use here in Jalisco Mexico

your experience and thoughts please

should I buy an unlocked in Mexico or USA

suggestion on how to get best price and quality

You cannot buy a factory unlocked iPhone in Mexico, unless it is a resale You can buy factory unlocked in the States and in Canada. Yes, you can also buy an unlocked iPhone and also jail broken in the US , Canada and possibly Mexico but these are not Apple unlocked. Some of these may be fine but you run the risk of it being relocked as soon as you try to install any operating system updates or connect to iTunes.

Personally, despite the higher cost, I bought an unlocked iPhone 5 from the Apple store in Canada. I know that if I have a problem it is covered under the Apple warranty and also Apple care which I bought separately.

If you are not wedded to the idea of an iPhone, you might consider an Android device such as the Nexus or the Motorola Moto G. Again, buy it in the States or Canada, both of which come unlocked and are considerably cheaper than a new iPhone.

I did a lot of research on this recently and it doesn't take long to realize that you page a huge premium for an iPhone vs. other smartphones. My wife and I are dedicated Apple users and wanted the seamless integration of the iPhone with our computers but after taking a careful look at costs decided it just wasn't worth it.

The upgrade to IOS7 was a major change for all Apple mobile devices and you can't run that software on anything older than an iPhone 4, though you really want the 5 to run it efficiently.

Another important thing to bear in mind that we learned the hard way is that when you buy an Apple product its warranty, be it the original one or Applecare, applies only in the country in which you bought it - meaning that if you want to buy an Apple product and be able to get warranty service for it in México you need to buy it here. The price difference when the dollar is at 13 to the peso or more is not all that huge.

You can buy an unlocked, quad-band Samsung phone that will work anywhere in the world for about a third the price of an iPhone, and getting it fixed down here just means walking into a Telcel store.

I did a lot of research on this recently and it doesn't take long to realize that you page a huge premium for an iPhone vs. other smartphones. My wife and I are dedicated Apple users and wanted the seamless integration of the iPhone with our computers but after taking a careful look at costs decided it just wasn't worth it.

The upgrade to IOS7 was a major change for all Apple mobile devices and you can't run that software on anything older than an iPhone 4, though you really want the 5 to run it efficiently.

Another important thing to bear in mind that we learned the hard way is that when you buy an Apple product its warranty, be it the original one or Applecare, applies only in the country in which you bought it - meaning that if you want to buy an Apple product and be able to get warranty service for it in México you need to buy it here. The price difference when the dollar is at 13 to the peso or more is not all that huge.

You can buy an unlocked, quad-band Samsung phone that will work anywhere in the world for about a third the price of an iPhone, and getting it fixed down here just means walking into a Telcel store.

Kevin, thanks for your post. It struck me funny, because I just bought an unlocked 32gb iPhone 4s on eBay--precisely because I got tired of the hassles of syncing a Samsung phone with my iMac and iPad. Just syncing contacts--via the iCloud--made me want to pull my hair out on several occasions. Android and Mac technology are not a good mix, IMHO. This used phone cost me about one-third what it would have cost here in Mexico.

The 4s is not the latest Apple technology, but it seems to be one of the most popular iPhones. Bidding competition is hot and heavy when a good used one is listed. One of the reasons is its excellent 8mp camera. A friend is bringing my purchase down in a week or so and I know I will be thrilled to have it. I will simply put my current SIM chip into the new phone and bingo, good to go.

We will have to compare notes.

I bought my first unlocked GSM unlock iPhone at the Apple store in Seattle in late 2010. I upgraded this January to the 5s which I also purchased unlocked in Seattle at the Apple store. And with both I returned to Mexico loaded my Telcel GSM chip and never had a problem.

Just remember that you want the GSM model. I bought mine unlocked. Some have brought their locked phone with them and had it unlocked in Mx.

I bought mine thru Amazon.com. Pete Johansen told me what to buy, unlocked and something else. Then I took it to the little place beside Brendas Bakery, or where it used to be. West of los torritos. Saved a bundle.

[

The Apple warranty says:

If you purchased the product in the U.S. and Canada, deliver the product, at your expense, to any Apple Authorized Service Provider located in U.S. and Canada. If you purchased the product in Latin America or the Caribbean, deliver the product to any Apple Authorized Service Provider in the country where you purchased the product. If the product is portable, meaning that it can operate independently without a power cord, you may obtain warranty service worldwide. Be aware, however, that not all countries have Apple Authorized Service Providers

[

The Apple warranty says:

If you purchased the product in the U.S. and Canada, deliver the product, at your expense, to any Apple Authorized Service Provider located in U.S. and Canada. If you purchased the product in Latin America or the Caribbean, deliver the product to any Apple Authorized Service Provider in the country where you purchased the product. If the product is portable, meaning that it can operate independently without a power cord, you may obtain warranty service worldwide. Be aware, however, that not all countries have Apple Authorized Service Providers

I have a latest-generation iPad Air, bought in the U.S., that a local expat from Canada (who teaches the iPad classes at LCS and knows Apple products well) wanted to buy. We called Apple together an verified that since it was bought in the U.S. it would have to be serviced in the U.S. in the event of any claims under either the original warranty or Applecare. That device can 'operate independently without a power cord' longer than any iPhone, but the same thing applies to all of these products.

To More Liana's points, I agree wholeheartedly that Android phones and Macs don't work well together. If you're only using your iPhone here in México you can pay as you go with Telcel and if you are careful about using wifi whenever possible it's not horribly expensive, but U.S. rates will eat you alive - $60 a month for the cheapest pay-as-you-go plan with Verizon, for example. We are frugal and have found it far better to use our iPod Touches - which are iPhones without the phone, so to speak, on which we can use the web, Skype, Facetime, and any other iPhone app as long as we have wifi access, for which we pay nothing, and then use cheap Telcel phones when we actually need to make a phone call. Separate out the phone from the toys, games and distractions and you can save a small (or not so small) fortune.

An iPhone is great for business though - as long as the company is paying!

Right now, Iusacell has the iPhone 4 for 500mxn with one of their monthly prepaid plans.

I don't recommend getting anything less than the iPhone 4. While you may not need the latest, the 3 or 3GS iphone is going to be extremely slow and even trying to get to the contacts quickly to make a phone call will be slow. You will want to throw it. That's not just an apple thing. I had an android previously that could no longer be upgraded and it frustrated me too.

If you can live with a 2 year Telcel contract ... an Iphone might be free. Mine was. They will probably want to give you last years model.

I would look at android phones and I will next time. Apple stuff over rated and priced

Apple devices are well worth the small premium. The ecosystem is of higher quality without the malware threats. The handset feels like a quality device rather than cheap plastic. Better app choices as well. If you are limited financially, sure choose an android or older iPhone. If you have the extra $ buy an iPhone. Don't buy anything older than a 4s. Android is stolen technology from oracle. Samsung also stole technology and design from apple. Buying Samsung and android gear supports the fast follower copyist. Why not support the innovator rather than the copier? One can also use a cheap Mexican pay as you go plan -like telcels amigo plan. No data but you get texting and voice and can use wi fi. I pay about $12 USD a month on the plan and use wi fi since we make very few phone calls. The average selling price of a new unlocked iPhone 5s is about $590. About the same up subsidized price for an unlocked high end Samsung, like the S5...

If you can live with a 2 year Telcel contract ... an Iphone might be free. Mine was. They will probably want to give you last years model.

I would look at android phones and I will next time. Apple stuff over rated and priced

Do you know the least expensive TelCel contract that might include an iPhone? Thanks.

If you want a brand new 5s unlocked, for the 16GB model, its $650 from the apple store in the US and 10,559 pesos, which is $815 at a 13 xrate. There is no expansion card memory slot so if you think you need more memory, 32 or 64GB that will kick up the price. You can see it all for yourself on the websites. Info for the 4s and 5c models are there as well.

http://store.apple.com/us/iphone

http://store.apple.com/mx/iphone

Right now, Iusacell has the iPhone 4 for 500mxn with one of their monthly prepaid plans.

I don't recommend getting anything less than the iPhone 4. While you may not need the latest, the 3 or 3GS iphone is going to be extremely slow and even trying to get to the contacts quickly to make a phone call will be slow. You will want to throw it. That's not just an apple thing. I had an android previously that could no longer be upgraded and it frustrated me too.

Just an FYI, if you like to take pictures with your phone: the iPhone 4 has a 5mp camera. The iPhone 4s has an 8mp camera. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it makes a huge difference in photo quality.

Do you know the least expensive TelCel contract that might include an iPhone? Thanks.

Here are the latest Telcel so-called promociones. Click on any of the cellular phones to see the costs. There is no free lunch. The iPhone 4s--which I recently bought on eBay for under $300 USD with twice the memory of the Telcel offering--costs well over 9,000 pesos at Telcel and includes NO airtime or SMS plan.

http://www.telcel.com/portal/equipos/equiposResult.do?hits=&offset=0&tipoTerminal=&historico=&tipoPlan=&marca=Apple&tecno=GSM&caract=C%C3%A1mara&queryEq=

Here are the latest Telcel so-called promociones. Click on any of the cellular phones to see the costs. There is no free lunch. The iPhone 4s--which I recently bought on eBay for under $300 USD with twice the memory of the Telcel offering--costs well over 9,000 pesos at Telcel and includes NO airtime or SMS plan. http://www.telcel.com/portal/equipos/equiposResult.do?hits=&offset=0&tipoTerminal=&historico=&tipoPlan=&marca=Apple&tecno=GSM&caract=Cámara&queryEq=

Just an FYI, if you like to take pictures with your phone: the iPhone 4 has a 5mp camera. The iPhone 4s has an 8mp camera. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it makes a huge difference in photo quality.

It all depends on what you are using your photos for. If you are printing them large scale, then yes you would need a higher mp. But if you are just using them online then the 5mp is more then enough

The 4s is 6600 pesos through Iusacell. Their plans are generally better (IMO). I pay $399/ month. I get 1gb data, 1000 minutes to other Iusacell users, 300 pesos in calls (at 1.49 pesos per minute to any carrier). The 1.49 pesos per minute also includes calling nationwide as well as calling any phone in the USA. I suspect that in the next few months the 4 and 4s will come down significantly in cost or be free with plans since the iPhone 6 is to be released.

I bought my iPhone 4S through TelCel almost 2 years ago and since I'd accumulated "points", the cost was roughly $2000 pesos at the time. I came home and called Apple in the U.S. and purchased the Apple Care Plan (as I do on ALL of my Apple devices) as I really like that I can pick up the phone and call their Tech. Support and get quick and comprehensive assistance with any problems. What I did NOT realize (and neither did Apple U.S.A.) when they sold me the $99 Apple Care Plan was that iPhones in Mexico are NOT eligible to be covered by this plan.

The TelCel plan gives an one year Warranty with the iPhone and I was 1 1/2 years into it when the Wireless component died. When I talked with Apple Care, they began trying to make arrangements to have the phone repaired or replaced. After a few calls, we all learned that Apple Care doesn't extend to iPhones in Mexico. What Apple Care did say was to bring the phone to the U.S. next time and they'd replace it for free AND also refund me the $99 paid for the Apple Care Plan originally since it never should have been sold to me in the first place.

That is just ONE example of the excellent service I receive on all of my Apple products and I have many, LOL!

I'm waiting 'til the Fall to trade my iPhone 4S in for the 5S and will do it with the TelCel plan again. Hopefully I'll have accumulated enough "points" to get it at a good price.

Valerie :)

Apple devices are well worth the small premium. The ecosystem is of higher quality without the malware threats. The handset feels like a quality device rather than cheap plastic. Better app choices as well. If you are limited financially, sure choose an android or older iPhone. If you have the extra $ buy an iPhone. Don't buy anything older than a 4s. Android is stolen technology from oracle. Samsung also stole technology and design from apple. Buying Samsung and android gear supports the fast follower copyist. Why not support the innovator rather than the copier? One can also use a cheap Mexican pay as you go plan -like telcels amigo plan. No data but you get texting and voice and can use wi fi. I pay about $12 USD a month on the plan and use wi fi since we make very few phone calls. The average selling price of a new unlocked iPhone 5s is about $590. About the same up subsidized price for an unlocked high end Samsung, like the S5...

You're throwing around an awful lot of accustions there, old sport. The same claims of theft can easily be said of Apple, regardless of recent lawsuits one way or the other. Apple devices are pigs, as far as I'm concerned, and iTunes is perhaps the worst piece of software ever foisted on mankind. So there.

Apple's claims as the innovators and inventors have been losing over & over in court and been losing in the marketplace.

Courts have decided that Apple's big claims that “scroll-back”, “tap-to-zoom”, and “pinch-to-zoom” as somehow being Apple's property lost big in March, 2014. That big loss came on the heels of of Apple's Feb. 2014's big court loss on Apple's anti-trust e-book compliance policies. And Apple was shown wrong again in April 2014 - with Apple having to pay out big 330 million in damages in that last court decision.

Apple has also lost big in the stock market, with low confidence in Apple, causing share prices to drop from $700 a share, down into the $500's this past month. As Samsung gobbles up market share, as Apple stock holders have sold-off, as Apple really struggles to come up with new products that the public wants (yeah, personal music is going no-where), and as Apple files and loses many big court cases, it's hard to see how Apple is "the" innovator.

Still, like GM and other old behemoths, Apple can claim to be big.

Snowyco and RV,

Apple stock over the last year is up 36%, vs the S&P at about 15%. Apple just increased their buyback from 60 billion to 90 billion which at 60 billion was already the largest buyback in the history of business. They increased the dividend 8%, and committed to raising the dividend yearly. With the dividend and stock repurchase Apple is returning130 billion in cash to shareholders by 2015. They announced a 7 for 1 stock split. Apple's PE is only 14 vs GM at 21, google at 27, MSFT 14.8, the average market multiple is something like 18 and rising. Apple's TTM free cash flow is over 53 billion vs General Motor's TTM free cash flow 13.37 billion. As for the meaningless market share metric that android fans tout, try looking at profit share. Does Mercedes care about Toyotas market share? In business what matters is income or profit share not market share. Apple has the majority of profit share in PC computers, smartphones, tablets, music sales, movie sales, and software sales. Who cares who sells the largest number of cheap units. What matters is how much cash did the company make selling those units. The press and clueless analysts fawn over market share to paint a picture of doom that draws clicks. Apple has 800 million iTunes accounts linked to credit cards. They added 200 million new accounts in the last year. Their ecosystem is solid and not threatened by the masses of low end units sold. Apple revenue and number of units sold on everything except the iPod ( cannibalized by iPhone ) is up and has been every year. Software and services is still growing at over 25% despite waning music downloads. The rumored Beats Acquisition may be about music streaming to bolster digital music sales. The AppStore makes up the difference with phenomenal growth rates. The CEO has already said that Apple will deliver new product categories this year. iWatch, AppleTV, perhaps a mobile payment platform and other unknown products are likely to come out of Apple in the not to distant future. Apple is a serial disruptor, bet against apple if you wish, I certainly don't. As far as innovation, there is no doubt that the iPhone and iPad have disrupted all of computing. 2 new larger sized iPhones are due this year. To reach a new post split all time high ( previously 700 ) apple will only need to reach 100. Watch it happen. As far as the patent battles, Samsung has been found guilty of willfully stealing of technology on several occasions. The Samsung CEO, who just had a heart attack, has been found guilty of several felonies in Korea. Samsung is a "fast follower" they copy things for a living. Apple has been at the forefront of personal computers since the beginning of personal computers. Once more Google "borrowed" Sun Microsystems Java and implemented it in android in a non inclusive manor that could be illegal. Appellate judges just remanded that case back to the jury. There is a chance that android will be found to be stolen technology and risk injunction. Samsung is developing an alternative software OS, tienzen, just in case. Apple has won two major patent infringement cases against Samsung totaling about a billion dollars in damages. Samsung has refused to offer standard essential patents at reasonable non discriminatory terms to apple. Standard essential patents are required to be licensed at fair rates since they are part of a standard. The EU issued a statement saying as much and Samsung recently dropped their lawsuits based on Seps out of fear of the EU's antitrust investigations.

Calling Apple a failing company that is not large is ridiculous. I'd bet Apple stock sees fresh all time highs within two years.

Archived