Chapala.com Webboard

Does anyone have the contact information for the Corgi breeder? Even directions to the house would work. Thank you.

You might call Ladron's clinic in Riberas and find out when Dr. Antonio Ladron is there these days. (Since his partner-brother died, who was the main vet in the home clinic in Guad, I think his hours out here are reduced.) It is possible he would know of a breeder in Guad. among their very large client base 765-5940 call before 2:30

Do you mean that you know there is a breeder locally or in Guadalajara that you are looking for or do you just want the name of any Pembroke Corgi breeder? I might be able to get the info for you from a vet/breeder friend in Guadalajara if you can be more specific.

I know there is one locally I just do not know who or where. If you have info on someone in the city that would be very helpful if I decide to pursue it. At this point I want to meet a few more dogs and some puppies and talk with some owners.

Its a campaign. Maybe..

As a former volunteer for Corgi Rescue, and a Corgi owner and lover, be VERY careful who you buy from. Corgis are not a recognized breed in Mexico so there is a fairly high chance the person would be a sleazy backyard breeder with crummy breeding stock. We have rescue Corgis and knew going in we risk health issues. And we have had them. On the other hand, the original prices were much lower than buying a puppy.

If you are spending many hundreds of dollars, make sure the parents have been genetically health tested for common health risks and both have OFA grades of excellent, or good for their hips and back. With their long backs, Corgis are prone to back issues. I can get a list of recommended health tests if you want. A member of a breed club is usually a good bet since they tend to police each other.

And no, most Vets know little about any of this.

I have heard but seen no notices that a dog show is scheduled at Tobolandia soon. You might inquire at their office and attend if it is happening. I don't find the FCI here as well organized about publicising such things. Not like the AKC. If they are having one you might post the days and times here. We went last year and it was fun, need to bring your own chairs!

My sister has three Pembrokes real sweeties but be prepared for SHEDDING.

Well I am familiarizing myself with the breed and a ways away from finding a Corgi. As we drive north this summer there are numerous breeders we will be visiting. I have gotten used to the shedding with the long hair cat but am concerned about the herding personality. Just about everyone has told me that the breed takes on the attitude of the household and if it is laid back and easy going with lots of excess emotional energy the puppy will develop with a calmer personality.

We have had two family dogs over the years and they were a joy. However they were suburban stay-at-home Mom dogs and as such they came and went out the back yard doors to a large grassy and patioed yard with both a picket fence and an invisible (which was put up for the 4 cats) so we have never walked a dog. Self-feeding and watering meant there wasn't much attention to those items needed throughout the day. One lived 15 years and the other 13 and always healthy. I realize guaranteeing an outcome of personality and energy is a crap shoot, just like having babies. So we will see how my interest develops.

Thanks for all your help!

If you are considering NOB Corgi Breeders, a few more thoughts. Look for a hobby show breeder who is a member of the local breed club. Just because a person registers the dogs doesn't mean they are a show breeder versus a backyard breeder with crummy breeding stock and poorly socialized puppies. Bred for show Corgis are a bit mellower and calmer than the bred for working/herding dogs. They are still high energy dogs who absolutely need regular walks and plenty of mental stimulation as well. They are quick learners, must have obedience training and often excel at doggy sports.

Our Corgi just blew her winter coat and I am again reminded how much hair that small a dog can shed - all in a matter of weeks. My favorite description is energetic shedding vocal short fur bucket. Here is a an excellent article about Corgis:

http://coloradocorgi.org/considering.html

Archived