Chapala.com Webboard

La Perla Negra

ComputerGuy

One or two in from The Beer Garden, in Chapala. Open 'til 9 or later.

I've eaten dinner there four times, and the consistent quality of the food now allows me to post about it here. I tend to have the sizzling hot Camarones Costa Azul, which is shrimp stuffed with cheese and wrapped with bacon, at $140p. Most dishes come with a nice rice and a small typical Mexican salad... which I can never figure out is actually a salad or a decoration.

Several shrimp dishes have been tried, all very good, very tasty. This time we also tried the whitefish in a bechamel sauce, topped with shrimp. A very good sauce. The fish is typical of most restaurants: tasty, but soft. Is it because they steam the fish? Always a good portion here, but I find in my own cooking you need filets that are thicker, to get that more disireable flakiness. I haven't asked, but it's probably basa/bagre.

Premeal stuff includes a stand of four sauces with homemade nacho chips. The garlic and the chipotle are excellent; I dip the chips in the garlic and use the chipotle for the salad. Also included is a bowl of crisp taco shells with limons. We don't imbibe alcohol, so we get a jarra of limonada, 60p.

What makes this place different, besides the food? Well, it is way more upscale than the restaurants beside it. Nice furniture, and a lot of booths. Very roomy. We sit by the completely open front windows for the view of the lake, and the breeze. A few weeks ago during a downpour, the windows stayed open but no rain came in. Good service and a nice ambience. Plus Saturday nights, Noe and Paco play, and there is no end to the talent of these guys. They asked for requests and were stumped by nothing we could throw at them, including the extended opening version of American Woman on accoustic.

Recently (and I haven't been for it) they started Saturday buffet from 3 to 6, for $129p. They're testing it out to attract customers; I don't know what the ingredients are, though.

All in all, a pleasant alternative, always reliable.

Nicely detailed review. Sounds like a nice place to get to and reminds me that my husband and I don't venture often enough from our Ajijic turf these days.

I don't understand the location as "one or two doors in from The Beer Garden," but then, as I said, I don't get to Chapala often.

Lexy

Sorry, let me try to be more precise: if you know where The Beer Garden restaurant is on the corner of the vela malecon, across from the church... that is an indoor/outdoor place where The Tall Boys frequently play part of the year. As you head west, in the direction of the vela (sail), it is either the next restaurant in that row of businesses or the one just after that.

There is no cathedral in Chapala. The big church close to the lake is the Templo de San Francisco de Asís, just a plain ol' church.

The Cathedral that covers Chapala is in Guadalajara.

Archived