Chapala.com Webboard

new burger/rib place

ajijicsolomon

Computer Guy--You have often on other posts sounded savvy on food.

So just let the people you've riled up here know your "credentials". I don't think that means you have to have a degree from a culinary institute to prove your authority. Lots of people gather their knowledge through trial and error, good sense and experience. Some of these people we rely on for guidance on this forum. AND we learn who to tune out.

I'm not a big fan of El Ancla. Tried it and tried it, because people on this forum liked/loved it, and I never got to like it much. In my opinion, the chefs have a lot to learn on their way to perfection.

As for the hamburgers, juicy and ok. Loved the tray of toppings and add-ons, with a choice of raw onions and sauteed ones that hit the spot for me. Hated what appears to be a square of processed cheese right out of a package that doesn't melt right. Mentioned this way back to one of the pleasant owners but it apparently had no effect.

But crappy--that won't do as a review, especially with such stalwart defenders of El Ancla.

Lexy

Pranga is probably Pranzo. I am not big on burgers, but a delicious, big, juicy one a few days ago at Bruno's.

I don't go to El Serape because you can not get a glass of water, you have to buy a bottle. Penny wise and pound foolish? When they first opened, before this policy, I ate there a lot.

Interesting, they opened 14 year ago. Are you for real?

As for being an expert on cuisine, Computer Guy thinks all salmon are the same and it on record saying that farmed salmon (yuck!) are just as good as wild. So much for his creds. He's entitled to his own taste and opinions but should clearly state so and not warn anyone off of a place he doesn't like.

Everybody eats, so everybody is a "food critic". Nothing wrong with that, and no "expert" can tell another person what they should like. Fair enough?

IMO, when we talk about food on here, I think it's only fair that we give our reasons for the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down". The End.

OK. For the OP. Here's where I feel comfortable and enjoy ordering a burger.

1. Bruno's. I very much like that this one is cooked on the grill--where else does THAT happen?-- the same grill where they cook their legendary steaks. I also like that it's very near where I live. It's a big juicy burger and they bring everything I need to put on it, and the service is excellent. (But.....there are people around town who don't like Bruno's much since the interior of the restaurant hasn't been spiffed up in forever. Plus it's on the carretera in the middle of Ajijic. So if that aspect is important....)

2. Cafe Magana in Riberas del Pilar. A fine fried burger, in my experience. Again, excellent service, and they bring everything I need to the table to dress the burger. I like that, don't care much for burger bars, but that's just me. (HOWEVER, there are people in this town who dislike the interpersonal experience they have had there in the past. Threads have been started about it that almost broke into riots. Me? I really like the owner and he makes me laugh every time I go. There's also a book-lending library at Magana.)

3. Perry's in Ajijic. Now this is a newer place. Also very close to where I live. The burgers have been fine when I've had them. They offer two kinds but I've only had the small one, and it's plenty for me, so I'm no expert on the larger version. (BUT....this place is basically a restaurant in a garage, and some people in town complain about eating a burger in that environment, so......)

You get the idea. Gotta find your own happy meal.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Yesteday, passed new burger/ rib place @Casa Montana,was Sugardaddy's for a minute last year. Just wonder if anyone has tried it yet? It was Boar's something. Don't get out much so not sure how long its been there. I love my burgers so far I like Tony's,Pranga,Lake Taco. Wondering also where's your favorite burger?

As usual this thread has gone way beyond the original question posed by the OP and has been taken over by the usual suspects. I would have not responded if it were not for the negative opinion of El Ancla. Overall their food is VERY GOOD and I don't think any one here tries harder to please than Eric. That being said, their hamburger is average as are most if not all of the hamburgers lakeside. As one of the posters said about Bar Tomas " there hamburger is good FOR HERE "

Archived