Chapala.com Webboard

Old Thread-Tour of Mezcala Island

My former Spanish teacher, Victor Aldana, will be doing a tour of Mezcala and the island on Sunday, May 18th. The cost is $450. Victor will pick people up in front of Walmart at 9:30am. If you are interested here is his contact info:

vicaldana@yahoo.com

Here is some information as to what is included in the price:

The tour is an informative tour where we can learn about the history of Lake Chapala and Mezcala. We will also learn about the local culture and get to sample one of their traditional (and delicious) meals. We will have a local guide give us a tour of their museum, and take us on a boat ride and a short hike (slightly uphill) to see the ruins of Mezcala Island. I will bring an ice chest with bottled water, soft drinks and a little cold wine for our meal. All in all, it will be a fun day! The total cost is $450 pesos per person.

Victor is a wonderful tour guide and his English is perfect and I highly recommend this tour.

We went on one of Victor's tours to Mezcala when our grown daughters were visiting about a year ago and it is a worthwhile trip.

We visited the small museum in Mezcala, ate birria at one of the local restaurants, had a nice little boat ride out to the island with a full explanation of the history of the grounds, and then came back to the malecon for a cerveza. It was a great trip and we learned a lot and had a good time.

Here's the blog entry from that trip

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapalayear2/home/2012/2012-12---deciembre/12-26---mezcala

Mezcala is one of the oldest settlements on Lake Chapala - somewhere near the age of San Juan Cosala.

We did a private tour last Feb when we had NOB guests here....a local (MX) friend/tour guide arranged all for us, we paid a small tip to the local guide and for the boat, a splendid day of sun and history...ate at the Golf Club on our return trip to Ajijic. Also very good, but trying the local birria would have been a treat, maybe next time! Its a great Island to visit, one should do it and take your guests.....all work restoring the fort has stopped now tho, maybe bribery and misuse of funding?? Too bad, such potential. But we enjoyed it...

We took visiting family on a tour of Mezcala last year. Really enjoyable day trip.

Bring good walking/hiking footwear. The uphill path is fairly steep (and seems steeper on a warm day).

For those who can't make it all the way, there are some nice shady spots to sit down near the boat dock. :unsure:

For those who would like a little preview of the village of Mezcala and its famous island, here is a posting on it from my photo-journal blog. Admittedly, the posting is several years old and some of the structures on the island have been restored to a greater degree than seen in my photos, but this will give you a flavor of the area, as well as a good deal of the dramatic history.

http://cookjmex.blogspot.com/2008/02/mezcala-doorway-to-dramatic-history.html

Just wanted to report back that the tour with Victor was GREAT! We stopped at a fabulous tortilleria to sample tortillas and had fresh cooked carnitas from a street vendor in Chapala before heading to Mezcala. We toured the museum in Mezcala and then ate lunch-delicious. Victor even brought some wine to have with our lunch as well as water and soft drinks. This was followed by a boat ride to the island and a guided tour of some of the buildings and information about the history of the region.

I highly recommend taking one or more of his tours He's a great guy and very knowledgeable about the area.

The tour was great, I agree. It was very low-key, I enjoyed meeting the other "tourists," the Birria and quesadillas we had in Mezcala were delicious, and it was a gorgeous day to boot.

I hope Victor does some other day trips, he is a sweetie.

• 2 years later...

Archived