Chapala.com Webboard

Nationalizing car locally

I am going to need to nationalize my car in the next several months and want to do it locally, not travel to the border. I mentioned this to Yoly Martinez, my hairdresser and president of the local Chamber of Commerce, and she said her understanding from SAT was that the only way to do it legally was to go to the border. She is going to check for me. She said that many cars that have been nationalized locally, including one that was done at the airport, ended up with false papers and license plates. So who has done it locally without going to the border and has checked to be sure that everything was done legally for their vehicle? How did you check to see if everything was legal? Why do you recommend hiring to do it locally?

Sonia is in San Miguel de Allende. Her husband lived at Lake Chapala before he moved there and met her. Her husband is known by many on this board.

I don't need mine nationalized until 2015.

Sonia has nationalized a vehicle in Jocotepec. She will give you the information. I think she wrote at last count she has nationalized over 50 vehicles.

You can read about what she does and the people who have used her at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/smacoollist/info

Join and contact her. I haven't read any complaints about her services and she states that if there is a problem she refunds your money.

I was one of several that used a broker at the airport. Cost more than at the border but less than cost at the border plus the expense and time of going to the border.

I put all the info out about a year ago on a post so you should be able to search and find it.

I renewed my tags this year no problem and so did the rest of the people that went to the airport

You'll be able to get Jalisco plates?

Sophia nationalizes vehicles that are here in Guadalajara but nationalizing means it is federal. The state where one gets his plates depends on the state he lives in. If he lives in Jalisco, he will get his plates in Jalisco.

Sophia nationalizes vehicles that are here in Guadalajara but nationalizing means it is federal. The state where one gets his plates depends on the state he lives in. If he lives in Jalisco, he will get his plates in Jalisco.

bourrnemouth is asking a different question.

Is Sophia's UCD (Campesino permit) honored in all states, for both driving and for getting state plates, since the UCD permit is not a formal Aduana pedimento?

Is Sophia's UCD (Campesino permit) currently honored in Jalisco, allowing these special UCD cars to get Jalisco plates and registration?

Or do you drive around on the UCD-campesino plates, and hope that your local police do not enforce the rule of getting a vehicle licensed in the state within 30 or 60 days of moving there?

For Example: A neighbor's son-in-law's BMW (visiting the father) was towed away about 6 months ago for still having out-of-state, Tamaulipas plates.

Is Sophia's UCD (Campesino permit) honored in all states, for both driving and for getting state plates, since the UCD permit is not a formal Aduana pedimento?

Is Sophia's UCD (Campesino permit) currently honored in Jalisco, allowing these special UCD cars to get Jalisco plates and registration?

Or do you drive around on the UCD-campesino plates, and hope that your local police do not enforce the rule of getting a vehicle licensed in the state within 30 or 60 days of moving there?

For Example: A neighbor's son-in-law's BMW (visiting the father) was towed away about 6 months ago for still having Tamaulipas plates.

This is not UCD. This is nationalizing just like going to the border. No one wrote that it is UCD.

What about the requirement to export the vehicle from the USA with CBP before importing it permanently to Mexico? How does that get done?

I think Sonia works with a broker at the border like other people who nationalize without taking the vehicle to the border.

Email her and ask.

I think Sonia works with a broker at the border like other people who nationalize without taking the vehicle to the border.

Email her and ask.

Please be careful, as I have asked previously, about giving advice in this area if you have no direct current personal experience. It is my understanding that those who were previously able to " nationalize cars" without taking the to the border are no longer able to so. They are either no longer assisting in the "nationalization" of vehicles or taking them to the border. I have direct personal knowledge of this.

SMACoollist

The process I use to nationalize cars is virtual in that the vehicle does not have to be driven to the border and photos / documents sent electronically. This is brought about by an amparo (injunction). Below is part of an email i received this morning stating the virtual nationalizing is likely to stop at end of May.

ES GRATO INFORMARLES QUE POSIBLEMENTE EL DIA ULTIMO DE MAYO TERMINEN LAS LEGALIZACIONES VIRTUALES.

Also, it should be noted that nationalizing non-NAFTA cars has also stopped and I can not accept new requests to nationalize such vehicles.

None of this is a surprise to me as amparos can end at any time.

One other related point is that in some parts of Mexico if you have been in Mexico on a visa for 4 years or more you must become a Permanent Resident. There were scenarios based on past renewals etc they would not count all past years. For places such as Chapala this is no longer true. I will check with INM and see if this applies here as well.

saludos

Sonia

I am not getting UCD stuff.

I am getting my car added into aduana

I am getting Jalisco plates

I will be totally legal in the eyes of Mexico laws.

Or, maybe i'm just a fool.

We'll see upon completion,

But, Sonia has given me written promoise/warranty/whatever that I'll be completely legit.

I'll post complete info when finished.

Please be careful, as I have asked previously, about giving advice in this area if you have no direct current personal experience. It is my understanding that those who were previously able to " nationalize cars" without taking the to the border are no longer able to so. They are either no longer assisting in the "nationalization" of vehicles or taking them to the border. I have direct personal knowledge of this.

I wrote "I think" and to contact Sonia to ask her what she does. I'm not giving advice. I'm giving an option that people can check out for themselves. Below is how many she has nationalized and people can ask her for proof. She appears to be very upfront and I haven't read about any negative experiences.

54 plus cars nationalized from all over Mexico and every one has state plates and registration. When a car is nationalized it is listed on REPUVE a Mexican national data base of 23 million plus vehicles.

Readers should note that Joco's repeated comments on these issues are just not factual:

Joco wrote:

... I'm not giving advice. I'm giving an option that people can check out for themselves. Below is how many she has nationalized and people can ask her for proof. She appears to be very upfront and I haven't read about any negative experiences.

54 plus cars nationalized from all over Mexico and every one has state plates and registration. When a car is nationalized it is listed on REPUVE a Mexican national data base of 23 million plus vehicles.

For Example: A neighbor's son-in-law's BMW (visiting the father) was towed away about 6 months ago for still having Tamaulipas plates.

Joco replied:

"This is not UCD. This is nationalizing just like going to the border. No one wrote that it is UCD."

=====================================

Please note that Joco's "options", advice and definitive statements simply do not fit facts.

If you follow the past year of Sonia Diaz's consistent comments, consider that Sonia has prided herself on being the sole person who represented UCD in getting the UCD Campesion Union "nationalization" process recognized by the Mex. Fed. Government. Her past "nationalizations" ("54 plus cars nationalized from all over Mexico" ), many, if not all, have been the UCD campesino permit route. Sonia has personally written (unless it is ghost-written by her husband):

"For those who think you have to go to the border to nationalize, there are a few exceptions. One is you can work with UCD in the state of Chihuahua or Oaxaca or travel to the Guadalajara airport or S & S Auto in Ajijic for example. These are proven methods as well to nationalize."

Sonia clearly has used the UCD campesino route to "nationalize" vehicles, and she may also use other "paper-only" routes. Really, Sonia should speak for herself on these matters - since it can be pretty painful to wind up with a vehicle that you have surrendered your paperwork, title, and $$, only to find that you cannot ultimately register your "nationalized" vehicle in your home state - and are threatened with vehicle confiscation for having either a UCD permit or for having out-of-state plates.

Readers should note that Joco's repeated comments on these issues are just not factual:

Joco wrote:

... I'm not giving advice. I'm giving an option that people can check out for themselves. Below is how many she has nationalized and people can ask her for proof. She appears to be very upfront and I haven't read about any negative experiences.

Joco replied:

"This is not UCD. This is nationalizing just like going to the border. No one wrote that it is UCD."

Please note that Joco's "options", advice and definitive statements simply do not fit facts.

If you follow the past year of Sonia Diaz's consistent comments, consider that Sonia has prided herself on being the sole person who represented UCD in getting the UCD Campesion Union "nationalization" process recognized by the Mex. Fed. Government. Her past "nationalizations" ("54 plus cars nationalized from all over Mexico" ), many, if not all, have been the UCD campesino permit route. Sonia has personally written (unless it is ghost-written by her husband):

"For those who think you have to go to the border to nationalize, there are a few exceptions. One is you can work with UCD in the state of Chihuahua or Oaxaca or travel to the Guadalajara airport or S & S Auto in Ajijic for example. These are proven methods as well to nationalize."

Sonia clearly has used the UCD campesino route to "nationalize" vehicles, and she may also use other "paper-only" routes. Really, Sonia should speak for herself on these matters - since it can be pretty painful to wind up with a vehicle that you have surrendered your paperwork, title, and $$, only to find that you cannot ultimately register your "nationalized" vehicle in your home state - and are threatened with vehicle confiscation for having either a UCD permit or for having out-of-state plates.

You live to give me a bad time don't you?

Can the moderators please tell Steve to quit attacking me?

Joco wrote:

Joco replied:

Sonia does UCD and straight nationalizing. She can and does do both.

The 54 vehicles she has nationalized have been all over Mexico. These are not UCD vehicles. Read what she wrote.

UCD is a license plate that can only be given in a state that has a UCD office. Jalisco does not have a UCD office.

If all of this is confusing to you, contact Sonia so she can explain it t you. I don't get paid to put with your constant attacks. I was offering information to people who want options to nationalize. If you have a problem with that, take it up with Sonia.

Actually, I have found it is just the opposite. Snowyco uses a very narrow interpretation of the law, ie "It is illegal to spit on sidewalks on a Sunday". The rest of Mexico uses what an excellent poster called the "puddle" principle - if you reach a puddle, don't make a big splash, walk around it, ie "On Sundays, spit using a spitoon".

Sometimes I think he is being malicious, like the kid in school who like to scream "I told you so!", or the fire and brimstone preacher, laughing as you enter the gates of hell, but I think the real problem is that he has a scientific mind, and is not used to tha vagaries of "the law", especially in Mexico, where the rule of law is not quite complete.

It has been done successfully locally, a buddy of mine did his through a licensed customs broker at the airport. Wasn't cheap but he got it done.

From what I understand, the best deal on nationalizing is a broker in Nogales. The Laredo brokers all seem to charge dearly for their services.

Anyone who thinks they want to nationalize should contact Sonia directly and she will be very clear about UCD, based on past posts here from her husband.

Several of you are doing a very good job of setting this thread up to be closed.

Come on Snowy, Joco did not say anything incorrect in this thread and you know it. Being a Horse's ### about comments she made on other posts does not become you. Lighten up and try to not ramble so much.

It is my understanding that those who were previously able to " nationalize cars" without taking the to the border are no longer able to so. They are either no longer assisting in the "nationalization" of vehicles or taking them to the border. I have direct personal knowledge of this.

Can you share any details with us?For example;are the brokers telling people this option is no longer available?

Archived