Chapala.com Webboard

Frustration with Walmart

You forget the fact that if the turn over is lower tan aceptable to Walmart, ítems get discontinued. As RVgringo says we are a minority and a shrinking one so welcome to reality. Buy Mexican or ítems that move or take our business somewhere else. I think that is the message.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

El Saltos has the correct answer. WalMart are the kings of inventory management. So one would expect to see a successful business continue its winning ways, no matter where they set up. The fact that the chain/box stores do show markedly superior use of these methods in cities like Guadalajara and Monterrey indicates exactly what the problem is: poor management here at lakeside. (You should see the Sorianas in Monterrey, where the family lives.)

I started this thread, which has obviously struck a chord with many, so let me add my final words. It is obvious from many posts that others do not understand the local Walmart's business model in regards to keeping popular products in stock. Walmart Mexico & Central America is owned by Walmart USA. As some have posted, Walmart has one of the best systems in the world for tracking and reordering merchandise. Therefore we are still left wondering why our local Walmart cannot keep certain products in stock. The only reason seems to be poor local management. But poor local management is allowed to continue by the management above. One would think Walmart would have performance goals for each store and a method of evaluating that, but difficult to say how that system might work and who does the evaluation and who reviews it.

For those who say "this is Mexico and it won't change" obviously are not acknowledging how much Mexican consumerism has changed over the last 40 years. I can remember when Plaza del Sol was the largest and only shopping center in Guadalajara. There was a time I couldn't imagine Mexicans buying in bulk as many now do at Costco and Sam's Club. Yes, some Mexicans still run to the tortilleria to get their daily tortillas and to the abarrotes stores daily for their Coca Cola or eggs. But businesses like Walmart, Mega, Soriana, Costco, Sam's Club, etc all over Mexico are thriving because many Mexicans have given up those shopping practices and have adopted a more American way of shopping.

Those who say that this is Mexico and we should not want to get NOB products here are probably among those who shop at Super Lake precisely to get those NOB products they still want, even while living in Mexico. People want what they want and if they are willing to pay the price, there's nothing wrong with that. Super Lake is obviously very successful because of this. Those who don't want to pay the price or are perhaps not as picky find Mexican products that meet their needs. Good for them, but there is no reason to criticize those who still prefer their familiar products.

Those who say that someone like me who finds the local Walmart's business model confusing and frustrating and therefore suggest I move elsewhere where I'll not be frustrated, obviously don't know me or my history. And, as someone posted, no place is perfect. But this little slice of Mexico is pretty close to it and I don't plan to go anywhere, even though I will probably never totally understand why this Walmart does not operate as most other Walmarts do, not only in the US, but apparently in the rest of Mexico too. It just appears to me that this one is missing out on the opportunity to sell much more by improving its restocking procedures.

Walmart Mx. is 50% USA Walmart and 50% a Mexican corporation and has always been.

See the many companies this group owns at the bottom of their corp. website.

http://www.walmartmexicoycam.com.mx/responsabilidad_social.HTML

I feel everyone had a good say in what they feel is going on there. Possibly the few who said if the product doesn´t move fast enough they use the shelf or aisle space for something that does move fast enough no matter what an employee or 2 has said to a couple of their customers. Similar scenario if you have been in all the US big box stores in Mexico since they first opened,

bdlngton,yes, to all your comments. One wonders why Mexican WalMart management allows this here. I'm sure that Head Office NOB wonders too, as they listen to the tales of woe their execs relay about trying to do business in Mexico. It is changing, but it sure takes a long time here. Plus the bribery and favoritism and government perks are probably just too good to pass up by any head office.

And I agree that to say "it's not NOB, so move back 'home' if you don't like it" is near-sighted. Our style of consumerism up north evolved, just as Mexico's is evolving. It's an evolution, not a "choice". They're learning by watching and by trade. It's not a desecration of their culture any more than losing the Mom&Pop corner store, back in my neighbourhood in Ottawa, is a desecration. We may not like it so much, but it will continue with ever-increasing strength.

...I will probably never totally understand why this Walmart does not operate as most other Walmarts do, not only in the US, but apparently in the rest of Mexico too. It just appears to me that this one is missing out on the opportunity to sell much more by improving its restocking procedures....

About a year ago, I borrowed a book from some friends called "The World is Flat" by Thomas L. Friedman. He writes for the NY Times and has books on business and whatever. One of the chapters focused on the ABSOLUTELY REVOLUTIONARY history of Walmart's inventory management system and how that CHANGED FOREVER the way people experience shopping, everywhere. It was all about efficiencies, and how as soon as something was scanned at check-out/cashier at Walmart, the item was IMMEDIATELY re-ordered from the nearest distribution center.

He absolutely gushed about these efficiencies, and how it "flattened the world". He suggested that all Walmarts were managed this efficiently.

I laughed and laughed and laughed when I read that chapter.

It is what it is. A poorly managed Walmart. Why? Who knows. Like gringal has said, we live in a backwater. Maybe this is where they send manager wannabes for training.

And RVGringo, the shortages aren't limited to "Gringo brands", or just specialty food items. A couple of weeks ago, I couldn't find either Comet or Ajax (or the equivalent). Herdez Salsa Casera goes missing for weeks. Sometimes they're out of Alpura Yogurt. Or LaLa milk. They were missing something else Mexican-branded in the farmacia last week, and the week before, and the week before that. It goes on and on. Really.

But I'm glad that Walmart is here! It's a whole lot better than spending four hours going to eight different stores to only to find six of the ten items on your list...

(Confession/Disclaimer: I never set foot in a Walmart until I moved to Mexico, so I don't know how the experience compares.)

AlanMexicala--The information I read online before writing my previous post indicates that Walmart USA has majority holding in Walmart Mexico y Centroamerica, even Walmart's own website:

http://corporate.walmart.com/our-story/locations/mexico

If you google "Who owns Walmart Mexico y Centroamerica" you will find several Wikipedia entries about this, in English and Spanish. And, yes, they list all of those companies (Vips, Superama, Suburbia, etc.) as being owned by Walmart Mexico y Centroamerica.

Archived