Chapala.com Webboard

Frustration with Walmart

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes just about all supermarkets in France make you pay for the bags if you do not bring any and they do

not bag your purchases, you have to weight and code your own produce as well and do not dare not doing it

add to this that everything is more expensive as well. !

I have the same complaint that many of the posters on this subject have commented on. Mine is for the tortillas integral. So, whenever they have them we buy as many as we get our hands on. I wish we had a big enough market here to support a Mega because that is my favourite store.

Having said the above, I am not complaining because Mexico is a wonderful place to live, especially here, so if things are not exactly as they are NOB we just have to accept it, and if we can't, then we can always move back NOB and complain about the weather.

Cheers.

Ditto Would love to have a Mega here!!

Ditto Would love to have a Mega here!!

I doubt Mega {Comercial Mexicana} will be building any stores soon as they sold their 50% interest in Costco Mx. they had a couple of years ago to restructure their debt.

Yes I think it is the City of Seattle that says no more plastic bags. Only paper, and if you don't bring your own we will charge you 5 cents US per bag. I'm able to use those bags 3 or 4 times before I put them in the paper recycle garbage container.

I don't buy too much at Walmart (lakeside) but when I do, I recycle the plastic bags when cleaning up after the cats etc.

Osoprehistorico--I think you misread koko's post as she had written that she was told that the whole grain bagels are the first ones to sell and then told that they don't sell well. Definitely contradictory reasons for not stocking more.

Just taking the guy at his word. Made sense to me as written. By the way, Soriana has a home delivery service here.

I can't remember how many managers were replaced when it first opened here due to the foreigners complaining about how it is run.

I gave up trying to buy fried chicken breasts. The Deli manager told me that if they plenty of chicken breasts then that is all people buy and they can't just grow chicken breasts. I guess he thinks that will force people to buy other cuts and not just skip buying any fried chicken.

It's the attitude they have that they are doing the customer a favor by being open at all.

This reminds me of when I was in Morelia and I offered an artesian soap vendor to buy all of the soap for my hotel. She refused saying, "If I sell you everything then what will I sell?" I guess that is just the logic of some and part of the "charm" of Mexico.

I doubt Mega {Comercial Mexicana} will be building any stores soon as they sold their 50% interest in Costco Mx. they had a couple of years ago to restructure their debt.

Yes I too do not think they would build here. Maybe they will come out with a Mega-Mini for smaller markets. lol

My experience shopping at Walmart yesterday. Went to the pharmacy to check if they had some medication that I needed refilled. They had it, same brand, same dosage, same quantity, but the price was 407p compared to 176p at Guadalajara pharmacy. Went to check out. My total came to 348p, since all I had was 500's and 50's I gave her 550 expecting 200 plus small change in return. She rang up the cash register as if I had given her 520p. When I brought it to her attention she got all flustered and ended up giving me too much change back. This all without correcting the original mistake. She was obviously new so I don't think it was an intentional mistake. But it made me wonder what happens at the end of the day,do they even attempt to balance the till?

Every time I shop at Walmart I'm extra careful watching their prices, what's on the shelf and what I get charged for. Hardly even give it a thought at other stores.

The Walmart kids I saw standing around and shooting the bull were the young kids who took turns filling your bag at the checkout stand for a tip. I guess I wouldn't call them employees.. I do not see the staff shooting the bull.

But, that's just my opinion

Enough already!

Just face it. Our Walmart is the worst I have ever been to. In this or any other country.

Since I never shopped at Walmart in the states, I can't judge. What I do know is that this one isn't striving for excellence in service, and they sell a lot of second rate merchandise. Another thing I know is that this Walmart is the market we have along with Superlake and Soriana, so we might as well just mellow out and live with it.

We are a backwater of the universe here, and just as we can't expect 5 star restaurants.......we can't expect much of our markets.

I think the Wal-Mart store is poorly run. The Deli manager told me 70% of his business is from the foreign community. But that doesn't seem to matter. He told me the District Manager now doesn't really care about the foreigners. The previous one did.

Soriana I try to avoid. Judging from the parking lot and volume in the store their sales must be down.

I try to buy as much as I can from Mega Foods beside the Costco on Lopez Mateos. Best run grocery store in Jalisco as far as I'm concerned. The shelves are stocked and they even have price stickers for each product.

Ok, without getting political, or regional, there is a differnet cultural mentality working at all stores, not just Walmart, but let's stick with Walkmart as an example. A friend used to live in a house with a mold problem, so she purchased a lot of the closet refreshers to keep her clothes from getting smelly or bad. But Walmart kept running out of them. She'd buy them up, but then she'd go, and they wouldn't be there. She asked the manager, and he said "We had so much trouble keeping them on the shelves we stopped ordering them." Same issue seems to work with the "light" or sugar free syrup. When we find them, we buy every bottle. But when we do that, there isn't any left for the other customers, and they may not notice for weeks. Inventory costs money. Every business I know here in Mexico keeps a slim inventory to lesson their overhead. They don't like tying up their assets in inventory. It doesn't make sense to we gringos who are used to walking into a store with 300 choices of cereal in one aisle. But there it is. I've gotten used to doing my shopping through many different stores, and almost making it a game...like a treasure hunt. Wow, I scored diet syrup today! Yeah!!! I think it's the best way to decrease your shopping frustration.

Everyone seems to still be talking about NoB products. That is not fair at all, since this is Mexico and we are a distinct minority; one that is shrinking fast. If you ran a business, would you cater to the whims of a minority group; especially one that complains all the time?

To be successful, the merchandise must move at a steady and predictable pace; especially if the supply chain is long and somewhat unpredictable. Hoarders upset the applecart and it is no wonder that the merchant gets frustrated and finds other things to fill that shelf.

It NOT only NOB products. e.g. Walmart has replacement wiper blades but they're usually out of the most common sizes. Walmart, like all big stores, have automated ordering and inventory management. All they need to do is regularly scan the items on the shelf and the order will be sent to restock the item to the desired level. Obviously, our local store is negligent in this task. It's simply a poorly run store.

Archived