Chapala.com Webboard

Frustration with Walmart

Can I complain about the fact that both my friend's roof and mine finally got workers over today to start the "big repair"... just in time, right? (I haven't hijacked the thread... it started to rain while I was in WalMart [looking for something new to complain about]).

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I complain about the fact that both my friend's roof and mine finally got workers over today to start the "big repair"... just in time, right? (I haven't hijacked the thread... it started to rain while I was in WalMart [looking for something new to complain about]).

So YOU'RE the ones responsible for starting the rain?

I guess we should thank you, eh?

It's probably time to "divert" from the grumblings. I was on the roof yesterday looking at all the Jacaranda junk thinking I better get it raked off before it rained? - and then, while I did take in the flag, I left out the door mats so they'd get nice and soggy (hoping it would prolong the rain) so lots of folks did their best and it's a nice shower, not the start of rainy season, but a nice shower to dampen the dust and wash off all the dust from the palms I park under - onto my clean car? - so, I'll be driving a mudball to take a friend to the airport later today - but maybe I'll go to WalMart manana and get a "professional" wash job?

It has rained every afternoon or evening for several weeks here in Mexico City. VERY bizarre weather for April/May, the rain usually starts toward the third week of May here. Wonder what it will be like (ahem, to go to Wal-Mart, to keep the thread sort of on track) in July and August?

It's just the way it is and it ain't gonna change in the foreseeable future. Has nothing to do with "shortages". The mañana attitude has to do with a lot more than "not finishing up today". But you will always find chicken, and cereal, and milk of some kind. That's good enough for many, and keeps the blood pressure down and the heart attacks at bay.

And even CostCo has these difficulties, and they actually try to do the right thing. Managers tells us they are only allowed quotas of imports of any given item over the course of a year, and so stuff often disappears for months, only to suddenly turn up later when we've given up hope.

And don't worry: we've all asked the same questions you are.

I look at it as a game. I am delighted when I can find what I want. I often ask for what I don't find because tomorrow it may appear on some other aisle. For weeks we were looking for more Nestle Cappuchino light, to no avail. Three weeks later we found a whole display on shelves in front of the produce section. Go figure?

Soriana is missing an opportunity as well - in Puerto Vallarta one of the Sorianas has an online catalog and will deliver for 30 pesos charge. If they used eco vehicles, like electric, i think this service would catch on. Many stores NoB offer this service, though mostly urban centers.

I really do not understand the reason for this thread. Guess I am in the when in Mexico do as the Mexicans. I don't like all the change I get at Walmart but when I get it, I give it to the ladies in front of Superlake or the Red Cross. I don't like Walmart's plastic bags but I use them for kitty litter so who cares. I moved here from Houston and a grocery chain, one of the best in town, named Fiesta. So I knew Mexican brands, many I prefer to US brands. Lighten up people.

I really do not understand the reason for this thread. Guess I am in the when in Mexico do as the Mexicans. I don't like all the change I get at Walmart but when I get it, I give it to the ladies in front of Superlake or the Red Cross. I don't like Walmart's plastic bags but I use them for kitty litter so who cares. I moved here from Houston and a grocery chain, one of the best in town, named Fiesta. So I knew Mexican brands, many I prefer to US brands. Lighten up people.

I think you would understand living in a small town with a few villages strung together in a rural área where options are very limited compared to a large cirty and gov´t. employess, administrators etc. on the Municipal, State and Federal level are not as well trained or if they were the state and federal gov´t. s farms the incompetent or lazy ones out to these small towns to work from larger cities instead of firing them, as is the practice here in Mexico.

If they won´t go then they can resign and get rid of them that way. If they go they keep their jobs and nobody from head office cares what they do there from then on. The good ones eventually get recognized and transfered to a place where good producers are desired and the cycle goes on. Towns and remote áreas are the dumping grounds for the federal gov´t. or training for the newly hired and recently graduated Dr.s, administrators etc.

It appears to be the same practice for large commercial corporations as well.

Good points, AlanMexicali. I'm always surprised when people express their disappointment that the standards of anything (restaurants, groceries, etc.) in this backwater of the universe are not up to big city ones.

I'm happy that we have as many choices as we do.

an interesting video that was produced a few years ago for 20/20, 60 minutes or some other

news show. Their computer systems in Arkansas is second only to pentagon.

The managers don't even have to order product though they may want to adust it if for example there

was some local event or festival that HQ is not aware of.

The "PR" stops about 2 1/2 minutes in and it gets to the more technical aspects.

My gripe is the PLU's don't ring up correctly and I would say 75% of those times it favors walmart.

I know from years in the POS business that they could be a lot more accurate than they are.

also a little FYI on their suppliers having access to wal-mart's system.

Target does the same thing. That Credit Card breach at Target that was all over the news.

The hackers did not directly get in through Target. They hacked into an obscure Target vender and used

that venders computers to hack into Targets POS system.

Your only as strong as your weakest link.

You can run the strongest antivirus there is but if you click that fake link or install bad software its just

like giving someone the combination to your safe

After two weeks of not seeing my chocolate bars on the shelf, I ordered them. I brought the box from my last buy, she took the numbers and said she would order them. It has been now 4 weeks, Easter has passed and still no chocolate.

This week, when I checked the shelf again, I saw the guy who was doing the inventory of the chocolate. I asked him why it was so difficult to get this chocolate on a regular basis. I could see they were still carrying the same name, but not the bars I cared for. His answer: "If I don't see any on the shelf, I don't order it because it's not there and I don't know. Also if other chocolates of the same brand are still there, we wait to liquidate enough of the others before ordering." As the others don't move, then we have to wait.

Same thing happens with bagels. The whole grains are always missing, but there are tons of onions and seeds hardly moving. She agrees that whole grains are always the first to go so we have to wait until the others are gone before they will come to fill the shelf. My question was: why don't you order more whole grains as they always sell better. The following week, I was there when the guy filled the shelf, I took all he had: six. pieces of whole grain. But he had tons of the others. I asked why only six of those: Answer: they don't sell as good. Hummmm!!!!

Lack of logic, lack of training, lack of good management, but mainly lack of business experience. And they don't care if WM sells or not. No incentive.

I have the same complaint that many of the posters on this subject have commented on. Mine is for the tortillas integral. So, whenever they have them we buy as many as we get our hands on. I wish we had a big enough market here to support a Mega because that is my favourite store.

Having said the above, I am not complaining because Mexico is a wonderful place to live, especially here, so if things are not exactly as they are NOB we just have to accept it, and if we can't, then we can always move back NOB and complain about the weather.

Cheers.

Guest bennie2

your expectations are too high, its wal-mart. it's not wholefoods or gourmet garage. (or superlake). some of you expect better quality plastic bags! what are you thinking? they will have the cheapest thinnest bags they can have made. you also expect the sales help & management to have experience & incentive. they are not trained for this, it's a wage job. a warehouse cheapo production. i still dont "get it". i fail to see the discounts offered there (??). they should be between 25-30% to be that depressing place. dingy, sad. i have visited the monstrosity 2 xs. (1st time in my life i have been in a box store). once for an emergency liquid plumber. the other time a friend brought me there. the prices were exactly the same for some products. actually the sunblock was almost double the price of guad pharm, as GP was running a promo. (much nicer envirement). most soaps were in bulk like 6 to a bag. the savings in that case was minimal. im not sure what the food prices are now compared to torittos/superlake, but several ys ago they were almost the same or exactly the same. why complain? its a low end operation.

NOB, HEB and WM are the 2 in our area.They both "match" prices. Now, I have noticed that HEB (even tho their ad says strawberries at $1.77 a lb., have already put the WM price of $1.50 in their computers. We now don't even have to ask for the match. Now, that is good customer relations. :) So, if you travel back and forth at times, enjoy both places while you are there and "relax" on the little stuff !

"I asked why only six of those: Answer: they don't sell as good."

Sounds like good business sense to me.

I think not. I'm sure you're joking or you missed something in my post. Why are they missing on the shelf if they don't sell as good. Why are the others on the shelf and we have to wait that they sell to get the ones that are missing.

That's bad business.

Archived