Chapala.com Webboard

First in Mexico City, then (we hope) in the rest of the Country...

New law in Mexico City: all dog owners must put microchip to their dogs !

https://mx.noticias.yahoo.com/en-el-df-ser%C3%A1-obligatorio-microchip-y-el-registro-de-mascotas-181511081.html

Usually, when a new law is enforced in Mexico City, it will be enforced in the rest of the Country...within several months, but this happens sooner or later...

Good idea, but is the cost of this affordable to most? Do you know how much it is? Any public program to help?

Yesterday morning, on a Mexico city radio station, I heard 1000 pesos.

If the price will really be 1000 pesos (I just read an article in El Exelcior about it, where one of the readers commented and confirmed the same amount), I am afraid that this will do more harm than good to our beloved friends.

In the state of Jalisco (if ever they would apply it here), 60 % of the population earns 6000 pesos a month..... that would be 1/6 of their monthly income.

The fines (in Mexico City) for not having it, will be very high (in the same El Exelcior article, dated yesterday).

More people, who can not afford to keep a dog or have the chip inplanted, will leave them out in the street before this becomes effective.

Furthermore, only 4 months ago, pet food went up by 16 %.. This might not be their best timing neither.

And what will people have to do, who resue dogs in the street in keep them (or clean them up) before finding them a home. In meanwhile, will they have the responsibility of chipping them all ?

And can you imagine families with 5 or more dogs ?

I know that to begin with, an idea like that sounds great..... but one needs to think about all the factors and possible consequences first.

On a sidenote, my dog already has 2 chips,.... an American and a European one.... I hope that Mexico will be my last country to live (and I doubt that), otherwise we will have to be very careful of the lightning.

Rony

This law will not be enforced here because it simply does not apply here. It does not even apply to all of Mexico City, but only to the Federal District. So people who own multiple mascotas here can rest easy.

I for one do not agree that laws passed for the Federal District necessarily trickle down to the rest of the country.

I can see it now: A chip reader with a computer terminal on every corner. Snatch a dog and e-mail the owner, then tie the dog to the post. No more lost dogs in DF. :)

Does the law say what they will do if they find a dog on the street that is not microchiped? Will they destroy it? Spay ?

Good luck enforcing that law and what does that bring to the population at large? Most people will not

pay 1000 pesos to microchip a dog, they should get dogs spayed not microchiped, I think the priorities

are a little off...

Totally agree that unless all vets and animal rescue groups (locally the Animal Shelter, Lucky Dog, Anita's Animals, the Ranch, etc.) have the machine to scan tags, they are pretty useless. And all tags and scanners would have to be the same brand for them to work. And how can they ever enforce such a law in DF? The only way to know if a dog is chipped is to scan it with the right kind of scanner. Nice idea but impractical, seems to me. The only advantage I can see here to having a dog chipped is if it is lost or stolen and the person who has it takes it to a vet who scans it to determine if that is the legitimate owner.

This law will not be enforced here because it simply does not apply here. It does not even apply to all of Mexico City, but only to the Federal District. So people who own multiple mascotas here can rest easy.

I for one do not agree that laws passed for the Federal District necessarily trickle down to the rest of the country.

It is not being enforced here by now, but maybe 2 or 3 years later....I hope it will be enforced in the rest of the country...

i.e. the gay marriage was "authorized" here after several years after it was approved in Mexico City....better later than never.

Does the law say what they will do if they find a dog on the street that is not microchiped? Will they destroy it? Spay ?

Good luck enforcing that law and what does that bring to the population at large? Most people will not

pay 1000 pesos to microchip a dog, they should get dogs spayed not microchiped, I think the priorities

are a little off...

When we were living there, they kill all the street dogs, even if they have tag id, this is a different Country, they do not call the owner, The owner has to run after the cage or go to the offices to save the dog before they kill them. I feel sad for all the street dogs that will be killed....only rich people will be allowed to have dog....Peña Nieto wants to be the only (with the other 11 wealthy families) that can afford the privilege of having a dog.....I hate them all!

I agree I think it could be a prelude to street dogs being killed. I know that in San Cristobal in

Chiapas street dogs are poisoned on a regular basis.

I was staying in Teotitlan del Valle, Oaxaca when there was a rabbies campaign. All dogs had to be

vaccinated and tagged. My friends got their dogs vaccinated but the center ran out of tags.

All dogs there run around and go to the market in the morning where the butchers throws scrasp and

bones to them.

The next day all dogs without a tag where fed poisoned meat and died, this included all the dogs that

did not have a tag like my friends´¨dog.

Passing a law asking for dogs to have microchips in a place where thousands of dogs run free on the street is strange to say the least. looks like we can ge ready for a slaughter. Talking about an elitist law.

In Chiapas they have a saying " a dog that goes out is a dead dog".

Archived